Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 06-12-2018 10:10 AM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options
I don't understand why they can't put an option in the menu to disable the local dimming.
Watching movies on this TV is unbearable for me, because I'm not a native english speaker so I turn on the subtitles and they cause the contrast to pump violently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bTKo9fM9dg
Look how the colors change in the whole picture (most noticeably near the blue blanket, but everything shifts in the picture).
I don't understand how it can be advertised as high end. I'm still trying to this day to get the shop I bought it 14days ago to take it back. I'm usually happy with Samsung's products (from smartphones to solid state drives), but this TV is a joke.
0 Likes
berney
Explorer
Options

Disabling local dimming makes the content so dark you cant watch it. So this is not really an option. Unblievable that thats what we get from Samsung for a premium TV.

PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options

Do you know how to access the service menu so I can give it a try?

0 Likes
berney
Explorer
Options

I've been following this topic for the last 2 months. Guys, this is being reported all over the place in every possible forum: avsforum, samsung eu, samsung us, youtube is full of samples, in my country (Israel) this is the main topic being discussed in major forums.

I don't understand Samsung disregard here. It is just unbelievable.

0 Likes
berney
Explorer
Options
0 Likes
PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options
Thanks, I don't have the basic remote so... I guess I need to buy one -_-
0 Likes
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options

I don't think going to the service menu is recommended. They should add an option available in picture settings for everyone to be able to access.

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

LG introduced a similar light fluctuation issue in their last firmware update. Then issued a fix;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthtKfCOzmU

Seems like they listen to their customers.

0 Likes
PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options

Samsung told me to update to firmware 1153... Which doesn't solve the issue.

0 Likes
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options

I believe the only way to make a company listen to its customers is by making a noticeable difference in its revenue by not buing its products. That is, most probably most of us won't buy another Samsung TV (some may even return their current set if they can) and let people we know, know about it.

They will start listening to customer feedback at some point..

0 Likes