Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black flickering screen with ps4 pro

(Topic created on: 26-08-2020 05:49 PM)
icg71
Apprentice
Options
I unfortunately bought a series 7 43" uhd 4k tv. When turning on ps4 pro in 4k mode i get a flickering black screen (im not the only one to have this problem  if you go online there are enty out there with the same issue) 
Iv been in touch with samsung in all ways possible, iv been given troubleshooting tips, iv been told tech are busy, they'll b in touch basically all the usual excuses. 
Iv tried everything you could try, unplugging, changing hdmi leads unplugging hdmi leads all possible settings on tv & on occasions i get a result. There is no sure fire fix & sometimes i get no problems other times it can take 10 mins or other times 2 hours to get the picture to come through & then it would appear its just by chance. Clearly theres a compatibility issue with tv & ps4 pro. 
Iv tried ps4 pro with both lg & sony 4k tvs & no issues.  
Iv now got in touch via twitter & iv described to them what is happening now they want a recording so when i get chance i will send them a recording of a black flickering screen. due to work this is gonna b a week before i can get it to them.  Iv had this tv since late January, first got in touch in February then we went into lockdown so got back in touch in July.
Then there was an update so updated & thought it had been sorted coz for about 2-3 weeks no issues but now the issue is back. 
The tv is as appalling as the aftercare service. Its been 7 months, still not resolved & i don't believe it will ever will be. Everybody iv dealt with have been polite & make out they'll help you get it sorted but the reality is im still stuck with a tv that doesn't do all its meant to & sick & tired of having to explain or type the problem. 
Just wished id done abit more research online & on forums because if i had i would not have bought samung tv!! 

7 REPLIES 7
Mtrj1776
Apprentice
Options
hi, this happened to me on several brand tvs, it ended up being the hdmi cable not being able to support the full bandwidth of 4k ps4 pro. I got hdmi cables from kabeldirect on amazon and this solved my issue, they are black with blue highlighted connectors. any hdmi should be fine, if it is able to truly handle 18gbps or higher, some cables I bought stated they did, but not truly unfortunately. I hope this helps.
0 Likes
icg71
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for reply, i originally used the hdmi lead that was supplied with ps4 pro which they do say is good enough but bought sandstrom leads (21gbps) definitely good enough for the task & unfortunately no improvement.
0 Likes
Kcbetong
First Poster
Options

I'm dealing with the same problem! Tried every different setting and even bought a Belkin 2.1 hdmi cabel that can handle 8k but still the same issue on ps4 pro! I also bought a hdmi switcher that can handle 4k,hdr and hdcp 2.2 but the screen still loss signal for about 5 seconds, usually once or twice every gaming session! The only ¨fix¨is to turn of the UHD color option on the samsung tv. However, that means we are stuck using the inferior YUV420 2160p option which is not ideal. Been in contact with both Sony and Samsung but i never got a fix after months of trying! Only real fix is to buy another tv, but this handshake issue is on many different brands across all price ranges. I'm using UE55MU6195UXXC.

0 Likes
baz-r
First Poster
Options

Had the same problem with my ue49mu6400 

Only thing that fixed it was a new non Samsung tv because Samsung don't want to admit it is a problem with their TVs

0 Likes
Catterbury
First Poster
Options

This has been an issue since 2016 and was widely reported on the flagship KS series back then so don’t get your hopes up for a fix to it. 

I tried various HDMI cables over the years including kabeldirect which seemed to work for a little while then out of the blue would start flickering again.

I can confirm it now also happens with the new PS5.

it’s ridiculous you pay so much for a TV for it to do this and then be ignored by such a big brand who’s probably most famous for their TVs. 

0 Likes
baz-r
First Poster
Options

several months in with my different brand 4k UHD and not had one black screen "handshake" dropout 

0 Likes
Snotters Of Snot
First Poster
Options

It is absolutely appalling - I've never had a problem with my XBox Series X, One X or Switch. I remember the much anticipated day I bought a PS4 Pro, in late 2019, to play all the much-touted PS4 exclusives I'd been missing out on as a primarily XBox gamer. I started Spiderman, and almost straight away the black screen flickering started. "This is a bit wierd" I thought, and then got this sinking feeling as the occaional flicker would then last for 2 to 3 seconds every 10 seconds. After some frantic googling, I didn't really find an answer (because there isn't one), other than to play around with the Video Resolution settings, and it did seem to behave for a while after that.

It seems to happen more with certain games - I gave up on Snooker 19 in the end, and bought it for the XBox, because the black screen was that bad. Whereas I played all the way through Horizon Zero Dawn and God Of War - 2 very graphically demanding games - and didn't have it happen once.

Since getting a Series X I haven't played the PS4 Pro much, but last week I started playing a couple of games and am sorry to say it's started to misbehave as badly as it did when I first bought a PS4 Pro. 

I have done as much research as anyone, and the only solution that works for me is to switch from Automatic resolution to RGB to that other one - either of these seem to work, sometimes. And the obvious solution is to down grade everything to 1080P, thereby solving the issue of too much data coming down the HDMI cables. But this defeats the object of buying a PS4 Pro. 

I will never buy a PS5 - I wish I'd never bought a PS4 Pro. In this day and age, and with this console supposedly being the world's favourite console, this situation stinks. Samsung have always been useless with their customer service - I wouldn't expect them to come up with a solution.  My next TV - when I upgrade to a 120Hz TV - will be an LG or something like that.

0 Likes