Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Red Button not working

(Topic created on: 22-04-2019 06:20 PM)
MarkGovier
Apprentice
Options

UE48H6700 with current software; I just checked AND did a factory reset. The BBC Red Button+ service (nor the plain Red Button) won't work. It does on a connected BT TV box AND the internet is connecting as the iPlayer, YouTube etc. does work. What can I try?

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40
DJCarding
First Poster
Options

I am having the same problem - trying to watch Olympics - but am unable to use Red Button.

After short wait, error message  states 'Due to technical difficulties the current service you require is unavailable. Please try later'

However, as a work around, I have found the two Red button channels are available on TV channels 600 and 601.

At least that works for me!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

wrote:

I am having the same problem - trying to watch Olympics - but am unable to use Red Button.

After short wait, error message  states 'Due to technical difficulties the current service you require is unavailable. Please try later'

However, as a work around, I have found the two Red button channels are available on TV channels 600 and 601.

At least that works for me!

Obviously try  resetting  Smart Hub/ reinstalling, factory resets if problems and ensure you have latest update. However obviously  problem with some Tv's. Mind you it can be generally quicker to use the Red button channel numbers (you can also record that way)  but not everyone aware. Of course Iplayer and BBC Sport app for many an option.  Seems only 980  on  Sky(always starts from there)the option on Sky,Freesat usually 981 and Virgin 991.  For some events obviously far more streams.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
MarkGovier
Apprentice
Options

James,

If you read the thread we have tried resetting the DumbHub several times and I've even recently done a complete factory reset. Still no red button.

All I want is acknowlegement from Samsung that there is a problem and notice that they are working on it. If this does not come shortly there will be a "not fit for purpose" claim made.

The expectation these days is that technology will be supported effectively for several years after sale. There are even laws in place in France that will prosecute companies that "build in obsolesence". Products like TVs should work for many years, at least five for all functions and ten minimum for basic functions. We are not seeing this.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@MarkGovierwrote:

James,

If you read the thread we have tried resetting the DumbHub several times and I've even recently done a complete factory reset. Still no red button.

All I want is acknowlegement from Samsung that there is a problem and notice that they are working on it. If this does not come shortly there will be a "not fit for purpose" claim made.

The expectation these days is that technology will be supported effectively for several years after sale. There are even laws in place in France that will prosecute companies that "build in obsolesence". Products like TVs should work for many years, at least five for all functions and ten minimum for basic functions. We are not seeing this.

@MarkGovier,  My answer was specifically to @DJCarding  (who found work around) which is partial solution if not ideal and not everyone will have tried the methods ( thougk know you've made various attempts and have latest firmware)  However have now amended my post and take the point that some  have tried various options to no avail and it  needs to be addressed by Samsung/BBC.   Have you contacted support lately? My Iplayer is version 1.1.13 updated 01/02/18 on 2017 set.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi all.

If the red button feature still isn't working after updating and Smart Hub resetting, it may be worth giving the TV Support team a call (UK;Éire) when you're with your TV as they should be able to remotely access the TV (with your permission of course) and check through anything that may be affecting it at a deeper level for you.

Smarttv2
First Poster
Options

Having same problem with 43 inch smart tv. Was working but stopped yesterday. What do I do to set up again?

0 Likes
Temeraire247
First Poster
Options

Like others here, about a fortnight ago, one tv would not allow me access to BBC teletext, whereas the other Samsung tv, same model bought at same time in a different bedroom, will allow it. Both TVs are the 32 inch smart hub Samsung’s and are otherwise absolutely brilliant. I just miss checking teletext first thing in the morning as I do not want the annoyance nag voices that is breakfast tv. Especially the prat that is Morgan

the one that does not allow, when I press the red button on the handset, it automatically goes to the Bbci player screen. The other, when red button pressed, goes to the bbc text page with little videos of news stories etc etc

anyone help please.

thank you 

HJD1
Pioneer
Options
Like most people I went through all the retunes, resets, return to factory default (which didn't seem to return to a true factory default). Still no teletext/red button function and I wanted to check the football league tables. Wasted almost an hour this morning.
In the end I disconnected my UE49M6300 from the mains, made a cup of tea, drank it, then, with some foreboding, plugged it back in, switched on to BBC1 and lo and behold teletext working again!
Thus proving all things work better after a cup of tea!
Jules11
First Poster
Options

Try channel 601

0 Likes
HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Thank you for replying.

The problem wasn't the 601 red button service but the actual 'old fashioned' teletext service. I like checking the weather, football league fixtures and tables and the £/$/€ exchange rate on the 'tourist rate' sub menu in the business text page (in case I go on holiday, where knowing the temperature in Moscow, Montreal and Abu Dhabi can also help me decide!).

The fact that it all worked after a prolonged turn it off and leave it off a long time and switch it on again showed it was down to something having corrupted the TV software and needed the memory drained to reset. Similar to rebooting a router that's playing up.

Smart TV being permanently connected to the internet is great but so many internet based services and updates will take its toll eventually!

Regards