Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer Crashing UE43TU7100

(Topic created on: 25-09-2022 08:20 PM)
Drumragh
Student
Options

Anyone else experiencing this issue...? It started lat week. I open BBC iPlayer, loads fine, but once I hit play on a programme the screen turns black and kicks me out of the app. Worse still, all other features of the TV crash too. When I choose any other source - TV via ariel, playstation or firestick via HDMI, or Netflix, Prime, other installed streaming apps - the screen just stays black. I have to unplug the TV from the mains for at least 30 seconds before it restarts properly. I've tried checking for updates and today I did a factory reset, but none of these have worked. It's the only app causing this issue - everything else is working fine. If anyone has experienced this and had any joy with fixing it I'd love to hear. Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Willt482
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same issue on 2 Samsung TVs. (Different models same age)  Started a few weeks ago, same issue with the blank screen and having to reset the power.  Not sure where to turn too though? 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Drumragh  the latest firmware for the Tv is 2303.1 which was released July 2022 and can be downloaded to USB if not available OTA.  https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE43TU7100KXXU/ check iplayer is also up to date ,though it may well be on Auto Update.  you may need to reinstall the iplayer app to see if that makes a difference.  Another idea to to reboot router by unplugging from mains for a few minutes.  could also see if using Beta version of iplayer is any sort of fix. Some other troubleshooting also in this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/smart-tv-and-games-console-issues/troubleshooting-tv-ga...   c

However one Member found it was an issue at Samsung's end https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/cannot-load-bbc-iplayer/m-p/5346547 

if problems persist best to contact Samsung support https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Drumragh
Student
Options

Hi guys, thanks for the input, think it might have solved the problem.

While I couldn't find a usb drive in the house to download the latest firmware (the TV is running on 2303, not the 2303.1) I cracked on with trying to delete and install the iPlayer app. The "delete" option for iPlayer in the app setting was blacked out, but I could "reinstall". I'm not sure this actually did anything... The icon refreshed very quickly - Def not enough time to delete and reinstall the app. And when I opened the iPlayer again I didn't even have to sign back in as I could access my BBC account straight away. 

After looking at the troubleshooting suggestions from the BBC (as guided to by James4578) I changed the iPlayer's settings from the standard mode to the beta.

Not sure if it was the reinstall (I'm not convinced), the moving to beta (slightly more convinced) or some combination of the two but it has been working since. Let's hope it lasts and wasn't some fluke flash in the pan, because if my wife can't watch Strictly things are going to get pretty unbearable around here.

I'd be interested to hear if it works for anyone else or if you've found a different solution to the problem. Thanks again for the assist. Very much appreciated.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Drumragh  Thanks for detailing your experience,hopefully a more long term solution.  Actually  think you do have the latest firmware. Tv's tend to include the decimal point in the firmware version. Sure you do have 2303.1.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Rachel Gomez
Journeyman
Options

Troubleshooting problems on connected TVs and games consoles
Having problems with BBC iPlayer on your TV, Blu-ray player, set-top box, console, or streamer? Try these steps to see if they help:

Restart your device
This could mean just leaving it switched off at the mains for a few minutes, but check with your manual or service provider in case there’s an alternative recommended method for your device.

Disconnect the device from the internet then reconnect
This might refresh your internet connection and get the BBC iPlayer app up and running again for you.

Update your device's firmware (this is usually found in the device ‘settings/system information’ and may be called 'software' or 'system')
Sometimes bugs may have been fixed in an update. If you need assistance with updating the firmware, contact your service provider or manufacturer.

Uninstall and reinstall the app
If your device lets you add and remove apps, try removing the BBC iPlayer app and re-adding it. If you're not sure about how to do that, you should contact your manufacturer.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

0 Likes
Danny2Pies
First Poster
Options

Facing this also on a Q85R. Tried switching iPlayer to beta but still happens. Never a problem playing the ads though… very irritating. 

0 Likes
PaulR2D2
First Poster
Options

Thanks for this, the reinstall option worked for me too. Like you, I was sceptical because it seemed to reinstall too quickly but when I went back into the app the nav was much smoother and I my chosen programme loaded first time.

0 Likes
Danny2Pies
First Poster
Options

I found after reinstalls etc the issue was still there, however with the BBC's new push on ads I seem to have a workaround. Now each programme starts with an an ad for another and as long as you let the advert start playing content and then skip to your chosen content will then play without issue. I've found if you skip the ad immediately it often causes your content to crash out.

0 Likes