Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad audio delay Q80T and HW-Q70T using DOLBY/DTS on games consoles

(Topic created on: 01-01-2021 04:51 PM)
Members_UrFLvXZ
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Wondering if anybody out there has successfully managed to connect a games console to HDMI4, a soundbar to HDMI 3 (eARC) without noticeably bad audio delay on DOLBY/DTS output?

My setup works fine with all TV apps (inc ATMOS content). No sync issues - all cables used are HDMI 2.1 compliant.

When I connect PS4 Pro or Xbox Series X to HDMI 4, all is fine with regular sound output (Stereo). When I select DOLBY or DTS there is then a bad audio delay of 100s milliseconds that is too noticeable to use. Both TV and soundbar are set to '0' on audio delay, and have passthrough enabled (which in theory should stop the TV tring to do anything).

Effectively it means I cannot use what I purchased the soundbar for (DOLBY ATMOS output from XBOX). Forums seem full of this issue and trying to work out if its a Samsung problem they dont seem interested to fix (and therefore still time to return the lot) or whether there is anything that I can do to resolve?

Has anyone got latest consoles working with DOLBY/DTS on Samsung TV/soundbar without these delays?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
RogerL
Journeyman
Options

I’m in the same boat. Have the Q90r and have it connected to hdmi 4 and use sound through eARC to my Marantz 6014 receiver. Noticed if I set tv to Dolby it has a noticeable audio delay but if you set it to PCM it’s clear but lose surround sound features. Really sucks.

0 Likes
pastormtitus
Apprentice
Options

Is the TV set to passthrough?

Doing that eliminated (mostly) my sound delay issues with Dolby Atmos selected. Though, some apps (mainly AppleTV) still possess some sort of audio delay no matter what I do.

However, when I have my Series X hooked up in the same way that you've described (Series X to HDMI4, soundbar [Vizio Elevate] to HDMI3/eARC) i get audio dropouts every 25 minutes for about 2-3 seconds on my Q80T. Have you experienced that? That's my main concern at the moment and the reason why I'm still connecting everything through the Elevate and not directly to the TV. Thankfully, the recent update to the Q80T firmware seems to have upped the bandwidth on all the non-HDMI2.1 ports to allow ALLM and VRR to work. So, I'm just missing out on 120hz mode games now (which isn't a huge issue at the moment for me).

0 Likes
Thelduin
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the HW-Q70T, updated it and everything works fine. Except for Dolby Sound and Dolby Sound +. I get a background sound what sounds like a waterfall or heavy rain from far away. This only happens when i got Dolby enabled and doesn't happen when PCM is enabled (of course). 

My theory is that the surround sound effect is out of fase and interferes badly with the overall sound.

Any others having this problem?

Coming from a certified Sound Engineer.

0 Likes
GrantN
First Poster
Options

Hi Can confirm the same issue.
HDMI from PS5 to Q80T , Optical to 5.1 receiver.    
All settings set for Dolby / DTS passthrough, and delay set to 0, but still seeing approx 200ms delay.
Very annoying.

0 Likes
JamMaster
Student
Options

Same issue here. Q90T connected to a Denon S950H. All support eARC and every cable is ultra high speed 48gbs. Samsung pass-through for audio is not truly passing through because on xbox series X if i attempt to select either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or DTS X audio formats it gives me an error that its incompatible with my receiver. If I connect directly to the receiver I don't have that issue and it works fine with no lag. Samsung needs to update earc pass-through to be true pass-through and not touch the sound. Right now I suspect the tv is unpacking the sound, processing it in some way and then resending it as otherwise all of those formats would work. Thats most likely why we are all noticing the lag. I also have the slight lag on my ps4 pro on input 2 so I don't believe it is the xbox's fault anymore. 

0 Likes
Andydude13
First Poster
Options

Yep same issue, any news or responses about fixing this delay?

Using a PS5 > HDMI 4 (2.1) - Dolby and/or DTS

Q80T > Optical > Receiver

Passthrough is not selectable

It's about a 100-200ms delay

0 Likes
QLED_Q95T
Apprentice
Options

Hello Everybody!

The problem is that Samsung TVs don't pass-through DTS via HDMI.

Need to buy Sony Flagships OLED TV next time.

0 Likes