Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backlight Bleed

(Topic created on: 11-03-2018 10:13 AM)
Shaunf
Journeyman
Options
My Samsung UE49MU9000 is just over a month old and I've noticed this last few days that the picture has a cloudy appearance in all four corners (a bit like a light a torch reflection) during dark scenes. I'm not sure if it has always been like this (and I didn't notice it) or whether it's getting worse, but it is rather distracting.

After doing some research I found this was caused by "backlight bleed", and after subsequently playing with the picture settings I found that turning down the backlight from 20 (i.e. the factory set value) to 10 considerably reduces (although not completely eliminates) the "backlight bleed". I would be interested therefore to find out from people on this forum whether it's normal to have to turn down the backlight (at the expense of picture vibrancy) to about 10 in order to reduce this "backlight bleed" artefact.

Many thanks.
0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Shaunfwrote:
My Samsung UE49MU9000 is just over a month old and I've noticed this last few days that the picture has a cloudy appearance in all four corners (a bit like a light a torch reflection) during dark scenes. I'm not sure if it has always been like this (and I didn't notice it) or whether it's getting worse, but it is rather distracting.

After doing some research I found this was caused by "backlight bleed", and after subsequently playing with the picture settings I found that turning down the backlight from 20 (i.e. the factory set value) to 10 considerably reduces (although not completely eliminates) the "backlight bleed". I would be interested therefore to find out from people on this forum whether it's normal to have to turn down the backlight (at the expense of picture vibrancy) to about 10 in order to reduce this "backlight bleed" artefact.

Many thanks.

I had a 65ks9500 which showed none of that, but due to recording issues and no smart connect Samsung replaced it for the 65Q9F. This was a big disappointment and I got exactly the same thing when you had the black bars it was like a shadow in each corner bit like look through a tunnel. Did not matter if HDR of not. I also found the picture was less punchy and a lot more blooming. I did show some pictures on these forums. I told Samsung I was not happy and sent them pics, and they said it was within spec. They then said they would give me full refund which I accepted. It is not normal and I would contact your retailer as you need the backlight on max for hdr pictures.

Paul

0 Likes
FrameTV
First Poster
Options

Hi! I am battling Samsung right now about the same issue on my brand new $1500 tv... how did you get them to refund you?

0 Likes