Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio codec not supported - Constantly

(Topic created on: 03-11-2019 07:02 PM)
superbhd
Journeyman
Options

Hi. I bought a 50NU7400 to replace my old Samsung TV. In fact I've been a solid customer more than a decade and owned several 6/7 series models. But it was time to move to 4k/UHD.

Since opening the box I've noted that more than half my collection wont play on this device via USB. Usually its the audio codec not supported. Literally all my "lower spec" 6 series TVs support these media. Is this a joke, how can you call this a smart TV when it supports hardly any codecs!!!! There were far cheaper alternatives from other brand names but as a loyal customer, I went with Samsung.

Update our firmware to support all common codecs, this is terrible! Penny pinching and not paying for codec support will loose you customers AND destroy your reputation

15 REPLIES 15
superbhd
Journeyman
Options
That’s not a solution if you have 1000s of blu ray and dvds. And it’s already been mentioned. Re encoding takes hours per file and often there are problems with audio sync slippage.

Answer why Samsung cheaped out on licensing and hardware
StevePMarshall
First Poster
Options

Hi there, was there any update on this? I recently purchased a q60 and was quite shocked to experience this same problem, despite having previously used an older Samsung TV to watch exactly the same films and other files via USB with no problems. A quick response would be greatly appreciated as I still have time to return the TV.

0 Likes
Perfectum
First Poster
Options

I as well after 7 years if full happiness with the old Samsung model pruchased a new model (UE43TU7092U) and had to schockingly realize that tons of my NAS media isn't supported anymore... How dares Samsung dump loyal customers this was... I whish I would have chosen for LG now 😞 As well... last Samsung device for me. I chose for Samsung EXACTLY because I expected best codec support there... In vain as I see now.. .Sad how a marketleader seals it's downfall because of dump decisions...

0 Likes
burning_tail
First Poster
Options

If you ever found a solution, please share. Samsung doesn't seem to care and this is also the last Samsung TV I ever bought. 

The support exists, but since the devs don't do anything about it, the agents will do endless support for an impossible solution. 

0 Likes
Perfectum
First Poster
Options

Believe it or not... I actually found a solution... But it's a nightmare for bulks of files (but you might be able to work out a scripted way to automize). The secret is to rewrite the headerfile of the DIVX movie with a free tool called "ffmpeg".

If you downloaded the tool, unpack it to a directory of your choice (to prevent issues no protected system folders like on Windows "C:\" or "C:\Program Files") - lets give it a variable "{ffmpegfolder}". Let's say you have a file in "{filedirectory}" with the name "{filename}.avi" then you just rename the file into "{filename}.bak". After that you can use ffmpeg to rewrite the header with this trick command:

{ffmpegfolder}\bin\ffmpeg -i {filedirectory}\{filename}.bak -nostats -loglevel error -c copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes -vtag FMP4 {filedirectory}\{filename}.avi (make sure there are no spaces in the directory nor filename and don't use high comma's to surround the input/target file locations - else ffmpeg will complain about invalid parameter)

This is at least fast as no re-encoding is happening but the file is simply duplicated with a "corrected" header. Best shot I got so far and for some precious movies I have gone that road... but Samsung lost me as loyal customer in the past this way... sad... real sad... but it saved them a dime for DIVX license costs... thats worth more than a customer... I guess...

[edited for typos]

0 Likes
abhisheksaini
First Poster
Options

Its 2023 & Samsung is still fooling its customer, i bought a brand new Samsung TV & it doesn't support DTS audio codec, neither there is support for 3rd party players like VLC & MX Player.

Never gonna buy Samsung products in future.

0 Likes