Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Gavoo
Apprentice
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Gavoo wrote:

The TV software needs updating to T-KTM2DEUC-1292.3 or later. (You can see this in Menu > Support > About this TV.)

You then need to flash reset the TV:

-With the TV on, press & hold standby key on TV for 5 seconds.

-Release and immediately press & hold standby key for 5 seconds.

If done correctly, the atV should restart.

Wait for the TV to completely boot up (home bar appears and then disappears) and check available memory.

Do you know for sure that this works to free up storage space, and if so, how do you know?

I just checked and the latest UK firmware available for download from the Samsung site is 1290.4 (November 2019). Which country has 1292.3?

The people who repair samsung TVs in the company I work for recently got this information from samsung, I disn't want to say too much as a lot of stuff is for repair technicians only but I was told that people would be able to download the update and wanted to let you all know, however I see that isn't correct as people aren't able to so that's my bad.

However, said people in the company do have access to the update files so the file has been created, maybe samsung are just wanting to test it a bit more or it takes time to roll out? I hope that''s some good news. We think samsung may have compressed some apps until you actually use them to free up the space but I don't know.

Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Gavoo wrote:

The TV software needs updating to T-KTM2DEUC-1292.3 or later. (You can see this in Menu > Support > About this TV.)

You then need to flash reset the TV:

-With the TV on, press & hold standby key on TV for 5 seconds.

-Release and immediately press & hold standby key for 5 seconds.

If done correctly, the atV should restart.

Wait for the TV to completely boot up (home bar appears and then disappears) and check available memory.

Do you know for sure that this works to free up storage space, and if so, how do you know?

I just checked and the latest UK firmware available for download from the Samsung site is 1290.4 (November 2019). Which country has 1292.3?

I've never seen this publicly, and it's more likely that Samsung have given the firmware directly to a few individuals to test as opposed to it being on general release or its just filtering through the support channels as the holy grail of fixes.

Once I have it or its available to a wider contingent, and it actually fixes the issues i'll believe it. Until then, pressure is on Samsung!

0 Likes
silid
Journeyman
Options

The firmware update 1292.3 is available from today for the UK model here:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55NU7400UXXU/

However this doesn't really give a lot more storage and has disabled the ability to switch between the Freesat EPG and the generic satellite EPG - which means no more Channel 4 HD. 

Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

How much space has it freed up? how much before vs after update?

0 Likes
bendede
Explorer
Options

Available for FR model too.

From 1% free space to 9% just after the new FW and... after some minutes, 3% currently...

No (new) space fix/unlock, 800mb always...

I tried https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Apps-storage-space-issue/m-p/1575720/highlight/true#M35949 multiple times (with the button on TV, not remote!) but, after the "-With the TV on, press & hold standby key on TV for 5 seconds." that is ok, the "-Release and immediately press & hold standby key for 5 seconds." doesn't restart the TV...

0 Likes
silid
Journeyman
Options
I'm currently showing 5% free.
771.01MB Used
45.17MB Free

It has fluctuated a little over the last few reboots.
It did briefly show 80MB free but that disappeared without me installing anything.
0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Here (italy) is still showing 1292.1

0 Likes
bendede
Explorer
Options

I just tried Factory reset too https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/tv-audio-video/how-do-i-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-samsung-tv/ in case this new FW required it to fix the space issue... but nothing more than 800Mb.. 😕

0 Likes
silid
Journeyman
Options

Now I have 1292.3 I can delete the e-manual using the dev mode trick shown here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Apps-storage-space-issue/m-p/1181926/highlight/true#M27198

This now gives me:

669.99MB Used
146.19MB Free (17%)

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

@silid wrote:

Now I have 1292.3 I can delete the e-manual using the dev mode trick shown here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Apps-storage-space-issue/m-p/1181926/highlight/true#M27198

This now gives me:

669.99MB Used
146.19MB Free (17%)

Yes but that's nothing. I have the same amount free ( actually 160mb free more or less ) and i'm still on 1290.1 ( and emanual removed ).

0 Likes