Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hiya. 

I was one of the people on this forum that managed to get my NU7400 Series TV to be returned, due to this issue. 

Basically, it's completely up to you to accept the engineer's visit, but it'll be totally useless to fit a new main board. 

I had to accept an attempted repair in order to get a replacement, should the repair not work, and surprise surprise - it did absolutely nothing!

What Samsung are telling you is a lie and is useless. They're just going to replace the same board with another board. It's totally ridiculous.

When it happened to me, I was saying to the engineer that 'Surely this is pointless as there's no increase in RAM with this new board so what's the point?'. He agreed with me but wanted to see what would happen, and as I thought, nothing changed, I still had 1% memory available.

Long story short, I'm sorry that this is happening to you, it's a scammy *****ty issue. 

bramely
Explorer
Options

Thank you for the feedback. That's really helpful. 

Do I have ground to request return? Do I expect a full refund of what I paid 18 months ago?

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

My situation is the same as Artofmotion's. 
I bought the tv from Richer Sounds in December 2018, reporting the issue to them in November 20-8

I had an exchange a few weeks ago.

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options
How do they work the exchange? You decide what device you want and replace with working out what you/they owe?
0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

No problem, happy to help!

I'm actually sorry to see others suffering with this absolutely infuriating issue, Samsung are being blatantly obtuse.

I think you may struggle to get a full refund, as the TV is 18 months old, although saying that it does depend on where you bought it?

You could press the issue at the store perhaps? All I can say is that it's a bloody struggle getting a refund etc. You'd have better luck drawing water from a stone 

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options

I don't want refund. Just thinking to upgrade sametime and don't want to get like for like. Happy to pay from what i paid to the newer size/specs

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@bramely wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. That's really helpful. 

Do I have ground to request return? Do I expect a full refund of what I paid 18 months ago?

I appreciate that people don't have time to read much of this thread but if you'd picked a page at random you'd have seen that many posters have had the offer of a new board, gone through with it and found it made no difference after the initial reset. This is because it's an identical board. 

However, under consumer law the manufacturer has the right of repair once the warranty has gone past a certain period (I think 6 months). If that repair doesn't work then you as the consumer have the right to demand from your retailer an exchange or refund as your contract is with them.

Having said that, it looks like your warranty has expired if you bought the TV 18 months ago. Very unfortunate. 

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options
Thank you for the feedback.

I appreciate the warranty is over. But this is not a warranty matter. This is an incorrectly designed device so irrelevant of the warranty time. Actually the CEO reply agreed that there is an ongoing issue with design and there is ongoing development for a solution.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi @ArtofMotion

Good to see you back and still lurking here - me too! 

It's so frustrating to see this thread continuing and people still getting the same Samsung BS we got a year ago. Total groundhog day.  Samsung are a disgrace.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@bramely wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.

I appreciate the warranty is over. But this is not a warranty matter. This is an incorrectly designed device so irrelevant of the warranty time. Actually the CEO reply agreed that there is an ongoing issue with design and there is ongoing development for a solution.

You had a comment from the CEO's office that admitted to a design issue? Sorry, I must have missed that. If that's the case then brilliant. You have the evidence to pursue a claim.