Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Fernando-2 wrote:

Hi all, 

Have had this issue for some time now and have been in discussions with Samsung for around 4-5 weeks. I've had an engineer visit me to find that the problem had disappeared, only to mysteriously reappear a few days later. We're a few weeks down the line and now Samsung have advised that they wish to send an engineer to replace the board. I've provisionally accepted but no date has been set yet. What is the consensus with board replacement - does it work?

Another issue I'm having is Argos as they refuse to replace the TV without written confirmation from Samsung that there is a fault, something which they are reluctant to do in the extreme. The TV was bought c 15 months ago and only has a 12 month warranty. Can anyone offer any advice on what recourse I have please? 

It is the retailer who is responsible. They can not demand returns proofs from the manufacturer. After 6 months you have to show it as a know fault or from new. You then have to allow one attempt at repair, then you can ask for replacement, repair or refund taking into account the use. 

If still giving issues section 75 is good. 

Look on the Which site, Oct 2015 European consumer law. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Fernando-2 wrote:

Hi all, 

Have had this issue for some time now and have been in discussions with Samsung for around 4-5 weeks. I've had an engineer visit me to find that the problem had disappeared, only to mysteriously reappear a few days later. We're a few weeks down the line and now Samsung have advised that they wish to send an engineer to replace the board. I've provisionally accepted but no date has been set yet. What is the consensus with board replacement - does it work?

Another issue I'm having is Argos as they refuse to replace the TV without written confirmation from Samsung that there is a fault, something which they are reluctant to do in the extreme. The TV was bought c 15 months ago and only has a 12 month warranty. Can anyone offer any advice on what recourse I have please? 

I'm surprised Samsung are bothering to change the board. This was tried a few times with users here and it was a complete waste of time. The replacement board will be the same as the old board with the same amount of memory. It just shows that Samsung's support departments have no concept of effective issue logging or internal communication. If they did they could do a search on "board replacement" and find that there's no point.

Also, what do you mean when you said that the problem temporarily disappeared? Did the TV suddenly have more memory? Seems odd.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@abrar-mohammed wrote:

I am having the same issue. After countless rests, including hard reset done by the Samsung support by connecting to my TV remotely, I still get the memory issues sporadically and I can no longer install any new Apps because I get a message saying Smart hub is being updated, please try later.

this has been going on for months now and my 1 year warranty finishes next month. I will probably go to currys this weekend to log the issue with them and see what they have to say.

Any pointers would be most gratefully appreciated. My TV is UE49NU7100

Thanks

Hi, I'm afraid that you'll have a hard time with Currys as they haven't agreed to replace any TVs with this issue as far as I know. They're the worst retailer by far.

You'll probably have to rely on consumer law and submit a formal letter, as advised by @paul1277  on here (do a search of his posts). You could use a template from Which magazine, also posted in this thread a few months back. Did you pay by credit card? If so, you're probably in luck.

0 Likes
abrar-mohammed
Journeyman
Options
Thanks Tony. I paid using credit card so will use section 75 to help if needed. Samsung have told me they will ring tomorrow to obtain further info. Will keep you posted.
Goody1
Pioneer
Options
I have just noticed the aforementioned Auto Update problem due to insufficient storage space, and contacted Samsung chat who will 'escalate this to our specialaists"

First of all though he remotely connected to 7400 and then rang me to talk about it

He told me that Samsung will defintely perform a final fix on this problem and were amassing information abot this and any other affected models

I performed a Hub reset which initailly took it back up to 13% from 0%, but, now it seems stuck at a maximum of 3% after deleting all deletable APPS

We will have to wait and see what happens. I am glad to see my  Samsung 65QFNA still has 43% memory left!
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Sorry to hear this. Samsung play dumb every time, as if it's the first time the issue has been reported. Then they say a fix is just around the corner. Same script every time, pure groundhog day. The issue's been going on for over a year and there will never be a resolution. 

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options
Ooh, and here I was, thinking positive over the Samsung response, should have known better!! Silly me!
0 Likes
abrar-mohammed
Journeyman
Options

You are 100% correct Tony. Samsung seem to be playing the "ignorance is bliss" game. I've called them half a dozen times now and spent 10+ hours on the phone. Every time it's the same routine and questions and same conclusion - they say the issue has been escalated and they will update me when there's an update. I asked for an eta and they refused. So eventually I played the hard ball and said I want a refund because I've not paid a premium price for a faulty product and if they cannot provide a fix or an eta then they need to refund me. I also told them that I've initiated a refund process through my credit card company under section 75 protection. 

It seems to have made a difference because they said they now believe that the issue cannot be resolved remotely and they will send an engineer to my place to resolve this. I'm hoping to get a call from the local firm to fix the time for the appointment now. 

Will update you all in due course. 

Abrar

Fernando-2
Journeyman
Options

Had an engineer out on last week to replace the board. Memory available is still at 7%. This whole thing is a joke. Calling them again tomorrow to update them that their sham of a fix hasn't been successful. 

Goody1
Pioneer
Options
Might seem a daft question, can't they just shove a bit more memory in instead of replacing the board?
0 Likes