Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:

The sm8600 isnt available from majority of tje retailers here now, but the 8500 is still.

Ive been weighing up the 8050 and 8500, and after taking advise from AV forums and doing my own research, ive ive gone and ordered the SM 8500! 

Thanks halster65

.I also have been looking at AVforums for reviews and advice. Noticed you were active with them.

Acording to pricespy in the UK the LG 55" sm8600 was £1200 on release in July 2019 so more or less 50% reduction.

Will have a ring around onMonday, here we get 2 year manufacturer warranty as standard will look to get this increased to 5 years if i can.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Unfortunately my tv only comes with 12 months warranty, but this time i made sure i paid with a credit card! Lol.  Also, if i need tv insurance, domestic general have quoted £3.39 per month for cover...AO, who i bought it from provide the same cover for £6.99! 

Good luck with your hunt! 

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

I bought the LG 55 inch Oled B9 from Costco, cost £941, just missed out the Samsung Q90R from Richer sounds but Costco has a great 90 day returns in case I don't like the Oled

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
halster65
Pioneer
Options

even better! 

Thanks mate! 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Help please.

Looking at LG 55sm8600 with 5 year warranty is £690     

Found Sony 55xf9005 no warranty for the same £690    + £100 to increase warrenty to 5 years                             

so which to go for?? both new but will check before buying.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@monk2 wrote:

Help please.

Looking at LG 55sm8600 with 5 year warranty is £690     

Found Sony 55xf9005 no warranty for the same £690    + £100 to increase warrenty to 5 years                             

so which to go for?? both new but will check before buying.

Suppose i should expand on what type of viewing i'll be doing.

Watching UK TV via Apps with vpn. Downloading content Shows/Films in 4k where possible or highest available to attach with external hard drive to set. not playing xbox or games.

AVforums gives the Sony big marks for picture but says O.S. Android is <clunky> and talks of it freezing up.

Another guy on forum say unable to update android passed 7?  I may sound like i know what i'm talking about. But i don't!!

This sony in 2018 was around £ 1650 so a big drop

LG less picture quality but better O.S. last years price £1200

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

Go for XF9005, currently £699 on Argos, get Richer sounds to price match and get warranty 6 years

i am undecided between Sony XF9005 and LG B9 both which I ordered, have to make up my mind today and cancel one tomorrow before either is delivered 

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

The sony is beast of a tv, great reviews bfor picture quality especially HDR.  I was also looking at this before i bought the LG.

Reason why i went with LG was the OS,  it worked similar to tizen, but sony has android 8 also according to comment's from people who have it sounds quite laggy, it wont wont have version 9, as sony says the tv wont be able to handle that version.saying that you can just stick a firestick and never have to use the tv OS.  

Im still happy with my choice. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I agree with the above comments. The Sony wins for picture quality but the LG has a better and more stable OS. I had the exact same dilemma last year when I got my refund and was deciding what TV to buy. In the end  I went for LG, especially as I'd previously owned a 2017 model and found it very stable and fast.

The Android TV platform put me off getting a Sony, which was annoying as I use Android phones and it would have been a good match. However, the negative comments about Android OS were too consistent to be ignored. 

Before pulling the trigger, perhaps check with rowley on his Phillips TV? He seems very pleased with it and it runs a version of Android. Perhaps they've sorted out the glitches. If the Phillips is stable it's worth considering as their picture quality is very good, and the ambi light is a clever idea.

Final thoughts: Going back to LG, have you looked for any OLED bargains? I bought a 2018 LG E8 from Richer Sounds in 2019 and got a massive discount. LG's OLED quality is fantastic and 18 months later it still blows me away. If you can find a B9 or C9 model at a good price I'd snap it up. Caveat: OLED should never be used for gaming or as a monitor as you run the risk of burn-in.

Also, the RTings website is very trustworthy, and that particular LG model you've listed gets a pretty lukewarm reception:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sm8600  

0 Likes