Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ViSvId
Student
Options

@storpey, I've DM'd you but since I don´t really trust Samsung's message boards, I´ll write you here as well. Would you be so kind and share how you laid out the case to the JL Customer Services? ...since I´m not fully familiar with the cause to the problem and the options proposed by Samsung (external USB and/or Firestick?!) Did you refer to any documentation or cases?
Many thanks for your help! 😊 

0 Likes
storpey
Explorer
Options

@ViSvId Hi! I've replied to your DM. Hope it can help!

ViSvId
Student
Options

Has anyone come across any "proof" like articles , that Samsungs from this series come with insufficient storage space, making them unable to download updates or install new apps? I am about to send in my complaint to the store where i bought it and believe it would help my case if i could show that it is a common error and that there is no proper way to solve it. Thanks! 

0 Likes
BillyTheKid1
First Poster
Options

Hi,

After having a UE43NU7400 and UE50NU7400 for just over 24 months I have also discovered this problem.

Did the system reset which brought back ~200mb of space. But this has dropped to 134mb after installing Plex and BT Sport.

At present everything seems up to date and i have some space to work with, however I suspect this will become an issue again in the future.

I raised the issue with JL this morning and this was their response;

"I'm so sorry to hear that your TV is having some issues with the storage of your Apps. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you. Regrettably any issues you have with a Third Party App is not covered by your John Lewis Guarantee. We do put this disclaimer in all of our Smart TV Descriptions; Please note: A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App’s availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs."

Has anyone else had this? What was your next step?

0 Likes
BillyTheKid1
First Poster
Options

Further advice from JL, basically saying they don't class it as a fault and advising I speak to Samsung.

"I'm going to advise that you get back in contact with them for additional support. We at John Lewis don't class this as a fault as we don't have any control over the size of the App's or future Firmware Software."

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@BillyTheKid1 wrote:

Further advice from JL, basically saying they don't class it as a fault and advising I speak to Samsung.

"I'm going to advise that you get back in contact with them for additional support. We at John Lewis don't class this as a fault as we don't have any control over the size of the App's or future Firmware Software."

They've gotten wise to the fact that it's not really a fault and anyone now trying to get a refund or swap are less likely to get one I think.

Everything on the NU7400 functions normally - I know because I've got one. I kicked up a stink with John Lewis a couple of years ago about it but gave up after a while as there was nothing actually wrong with the standard functions of the TV. Since doing the system reset several months ago I've stopped getting the error message and all apps update normally so there's no real leg to stand on. 

By all means pursue it if you like, but I think it'll be pretty hard to prove what the problem is when, as you say, you're speculating on it becoming a problem in the future. Has anyone actually found it to be a problem now? I can't remember hearing of anyone's TV being completely bricked by this issue so if I were you I'd stop worrying about it - there are bigger things to worry about in life than a TV running out of storage space... 

Yaksh24
First Poster
Options

Hi there. Can't believe I am having this exact same issue, 3 years later. I opened HBO Max and it said to update, which is weird because I have auto-update on. Then I realized I only had 43mb available when the HBO Max update was 143mb. I deleted every app I could, and got upto 106mb free, but still about 50mb short. It says the same thing it did for you. 700 something MB used, and the 106mb free, which makes no sense. We got this TV in 2018, when 32GB and 64GB of storage can be bought as a tiny MicroSD for less than $100, so its ridiculous that a 2018 TV has only ONE GB total storage. What is this 2006? I have a Samsung 7 Series by the way. I'm not sure what to do about this now. Clearly the "firmware update" they said was in the works never came, or didn't work, if I still have this issue in 2021. Was the USB storage fix successful for anyone? Any help appreciated.

0 Likes
NU7400
Apprentice
Options

The only solution that works is returning the TV, if you got a 5 years guarantee. 

0 Likes
DjyZzZz
Journeyman
Options

No.... Just go in dev mode like lots of People explain here, remove apps and the manual. Then you will be able to update. OK apps will come back but you will be able to install 3 or 4 New ones before. 

0 Likes
Weeitsmikelee
Student
Options

Hey so I’m able to go to dev mode but I don’t see the deep link test option under the app. Anyone encounter that?