Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 05-10-2021 09:45 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Mike-Callaghan
Journeyman
Options

This is the same model and issue I have. The suggested fixes don't seem to work for this model. At this point, I'd love to be able to do a total factory reset, but I don't know how.

0 Likes
Mike-Callaghan
Journeyman
Options

I think many of us would like to do this, but the reset procedures don't work on many of our models. We don't have the button everyone talks about under the Samsung logo. We have a small joystick on the back of the TV, but it doesn't appear to do anything that the remote can't do.

0 Likes
Contsi
Explorer
Options

You don't need that button to do a factory reset. I believe that is for a firmware reset.

Go to home screen, settings, I believe support, self diagnosis.

0 Likes
Contsi
Explorer
Options

Go to home screen, settings, I believe support, self diagnosis.

0 Likes
Mike-Callaghan
Journeyman
Options

That doesn't do a complete factory reset. It still has all the application updates downloaded, and I'm still stuck at 0KB. 

There was a recent firmware update that I was able to download and install manually. That helped but at this point, I still can't install any apps from the internet. Maybe that's as it should be, though.

0 Likes
Contsi
Explorer
Options

These older models like mine, do not appear to have the button, therefore you cannot do the firmware reset, so you will not be able to gain more memory at this point and you will not be able to install apps. You need to scrap that idea and get a steaming device and use that to install apps on. At this point the TV becomes a display to show content from the streaming device (Roku, Firestick, Apple TV etc.). The factory reset will still help if you're having some other issues. As long as it's connected to the internet it will keep braking.

0 Likes
subsensky
First Poster
Options

i created an account just to thank you for the solution ! thanks again !

newuser5
First Poster
Options

I also tried to install App ( Sling TV)  on USB ( not on TV) BUT  no option to install on USB after I selected Install button.  In source I see my USB Drive

0 Likes
newuser5
First Poster
Options

Here Samsung 4740 smart TV .. any thing I can do to install App on USB?

0 Likes
BSousa
First Poster
Options

First, Thank you all for all the information about this sucky situation. I am Truly flabbergasted that this has not been officially addressed in a meaningful way. I will go the fire stick route as I do not have the button to try that method of flashing the TV.

I'm Wondering if it would do any good to start writing to the major streaming networks to stop allowing their apps to be installed or listed at all with a company that does not seem to care about their viewers and their ability to use the apps on the product. I mean tbh I almost shut off all my streaming subscriptions due to this. I was looking at other TV Brands and figured I would have t buy a new TV and then start them back up. 

Just a thought and thanks again for the good information!