Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 19-04-2021 12:18 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

That's not quite the same thing though. The question is, does the flash reset permanently fix the problem for those TVs with a low amount of memory? It seems that it does for some, in that they end up with around 200MB of memory (which is still ridiculously low) but it's enough to accommodate updates and therefore doesn't trigger memory warnings.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

This is off topic, but could anyone advise whether their Samsung TV has access to the TV5Monde Europe app? Apparently it's now available on the Samsung platform, and I'm interested as it's an excellent French TV service, and great for those of us learning or improving their French.

Merci :smiling-face:

0 Likes
NU7400
Apprentice
Options

Samsung technical support instructed me on the phone to do the flash reset last year. It does free up about 200 MB but it wasn’t until the third time that I noticed the 200 MB was freed up by deleting the e-manual. So the conclusion is flash reset does not fix the original issue. 
Anyway, JL finally agreed that the TV is beyond economic repair and refunded me the market price of an equivalent model. I upgraded to 55TU8500 now. 

DjyZzZz
Journeyman
Options

Hi all ! I found the ultimate solution !! Go to apps, press on your remote 12345, you are in dev mode... Press power of remote for 2 sec, tv restart, then go back to apps...

Sélect the apps you want to remove, go to the end of the list, deep link test, Press cancel, then NOW YOU CAN UNINSTALL APPS !!! that is crazy, we have now lots of space, and no app we don't want to... 

Have fun ! 

fraibean
Pioneer
Options

At home it does not work 

there is still the message the basic apps on your device cannot be deleted

DjyZzZz
Journeyman
Options

When you press 12345 in apps, you have a message, you have to go to dev mode On, check On, you can then press OK if I remember correctly, then you have to press power for 2 sec to power of the tv, at restart you are in dev mode. Where are you stuck ? I can maybe help you. 

Rob22304
Apprentice
Options

Agree, screen clearly says Developer Mode but I couldn’t find a way to hit Cancel and the apps still cannot be deleted

0 Likes
DjyZzZz
Journeyman
Options

OK, so you reboot your TV, when you go back to apps, go to settings, this is where your apps are, this is where you can go to the last option, then click cancel, and delete appears, I will make a video in several hours. 

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

This wont work. The default apps will comeback at some point automatically after deletion, this has been posted about before in this thread multiple times.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Exactly. There is no cure for this and there never will be. The very poor workaround is to free up 200MB of storage by a combination of deleting the manual and doing a flash reset. The 200MB free space seems to remain at that level (according to a few users over the last couple of pages) so there's enough to allow updates.