Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 11-03-2021 05:52 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well, I guess I was ( they say patience is a virtue ). I'm in Italy, retailer is Bennet. Only dealing with them is directly with the point of sale 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Try writing or emailing the retailer so you have proof. Stating the problems with the set. Give them one month to repair/ replace under warranty,  which by the way the memory issues are irreparable the screen would be but hardly worth the effort. Did you buy the set with a credit card? If an Italian credit card do they give section 75 cover as UK cards do? Might be worth contacting them with your problem, a call from them to your retailer might produce results.

0 Likes
Jaybee360
Voyager
Options

Worked for me. I had around 35MB available. Afterwards i'm around 200ish.

0 Likes
Pixelsword
Apprentice
Options

After a year of struggling with this issue the flash reset worked. Thank you so much. 

edit, checked again this morning and the flash reset still worked. I did have 48mb yesterday and it’s now 215.43mb. All apps have updated.

TV - UE43NU7470

NU7400
Apprentice
Options

Hello Rowley,

I am hoping you can help me here. 

I have been using an UE50NU7400 TV for almost 2 years now. I first reported this App storage issue to Samsung in 2019 and subsequently in 2020. They made me wait and run down the manufacturers warranty. I contacted John Lewis 3 months ago to find a solution and went through the entire process of factory reset, flash reset and their 3rd party Engineer visit.  JL claiming the TV is working as specified and App storage is not part of 'Smart TV' description. They are saying they can only provide a USB stick with additional storage. The problem is the 3rd party Engineers reported the TV as working according to the specification despite my TV showing less than 4% available storage. As the space is less than 50MB, I cannot receive updates from Samsung and my TV is under security risk in the home network. 

My next step would be to take JL to small claims court. Could you please advise the legal definition of Smart TV?

Thanks

Regards

Sakthi.

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@Pixelsword wrote:

After a year of struggling with this issue the flash reset worked. Thank you so much. 

edit, checked again this morning and the flash reset still worked. I did have 48mb yesterday and it’s now 215.43mb. All apps have updated.

TV - UE43NU7470

Worked for me too and continues to do so. It's been a couple of months since I did the flash reset and I still have over 200MB free with all apps updating and no error messages.  👍

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@NU7400 wrote:

Hello Rowley,

I am hoping you can help me here. 

I have been using an UE50NU7400 TV for almost 2 years now. I first reported this App storage issue to Samsung in 2019 and subsequently in 2020. They made me wait and run down the manufacturers warranty. I contacted John Lewis 3 months ago to find a solution and went through the entire process of factory reset, flash reset and their 3rd party Engineer visit.  JL claiming the TV is working as specified and App storage is not part of 'Smart TV' description. They are saying they can only provide a USB stick with additional storage. The problem is the 3rd party Engineers reported the TV as working according to the specification despite my TV showing less than 4% available storage. As the space is less than 50MB, I cannot receive updates from Samsung and my TV is under security risk in the home network. 

My next step would be to take JL to small claims court. Could you please advise the legal definition of Smart TV?

Thanks

Regards

Sakthi.

Have you done a flash reset Sakthi? Instructions are a couple of pages back on this forum but I'll paste them again below - I can confirm that it works on a NU7400 as that's the model I have. 

Once you have done it you'll have over 200MB free, all the apps update fine and you no longer get any error messages. It'll save you a lot of grief going through the small claims court which most likely will not give you the outcome you want. 

FLASH RESET INSTRUCTIONS:

Under the Samsung logo on the TV you have a small black button about 2-3cm in from the bottom edge. With the tv turned on

1. press the button at the logo for 5-10 seconds

2. Release the button

3. press the power button on the TV Remote for 5-10 seconds. Tv goes black and then restarts after a while. This is the flash reset and made my tv go from 80mb free storage to 240mb free storage. Still crazy that there isn’t more available space when storage units is cheap as hell... but anyway, that worked for me.

(NB this sets everything back to factory settings, so all the logins will have to be re-entered).

billyb_834652
Explorer
Options

Is this flash reset a genuine solution? Did Samsung finally issue the fix they promised since 2018?

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

@billyb_834652 wrote:

Is this flash reset a genuine solution? Did Samsung finally issue the fix they promised since 2018?

Still working for me. My NU7400 still has nearly 200MB free - all apps updating & no error messages. 

0 Likes
Pixelsword
Apprentice
Options

It’s basically a work around to flash/reset/reboot the tv memory manger. Later models of UE43xx have a system option in the setting where you can clear the cache of running apps and cpu. If Samsung updated the older tv’s  firmware to include it within the setting of the older UE43xx it may resolved the issue. I’ve got 2 models of the UE43xx only separated by 1 year in manufacture date and I’ve not had a single memory issue with the newer model. However the memory size between the 2 is large, the older UE43xxx has woeful amount of memory, the newer model has plenty.

0 Likes