Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 23-01-2021 02:35 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

As i said in my post on Sunday the EX. USB solution worked for some.

Guess its model and year related. Not sure now but thought the reduced memory was related to various 2018 models and upwards.

0 Likes
Rob22304
Apprentice
Options

Agree, especially since memory is so cheap nowadays. If I find im

not getting updates, I’ll just remove one or two of the apps in memory until the update takes.  Not a great solution but workable.

Rob22304
Apprentice
Options

Mine is a UN65MU6300.  Software version T-KTMAKUC-1290.3, BT-S

0 Likes
Rob22304
Apprentice
Options

I just downloaded the January 14 2021 firmware update to my thumb drive and installed it manually onto my TV.  Did the download through my home computer, did the install through the TV menus.  Worked fine. Maybe I can do the same with the apps?

0 Likes
dragonsun
Explorer
Options

I can't download netflix using flash drive unlike youtube because it says cannot download through external device. I still have 0 KB pls help

0 Likes
dragonsun
Explorer
Options

is there a way to install netflix through external storage? i was able to install through external storage but for some reason i can't with netflix. 

btw, my available storage is still 0 KB so i tried the usb trick but as i stated, it won't let me downlaod netflix (which is what i wanted)

0 Likes
dragonsun
Explorer
Options

@Potatismoose

I want to try this but i have a 'joystick' like control and not a button. I tried just pressing but it doesn't see to work. I wonder how mine shall work.
 Let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@dragonsun wrote:

is there a way to install netflix through external storage? i was able to install through external storage but for some reason i can't with netflix. 

btw, my available storage is still 0 KB so i tried the usb trick but as i stated, it won't let me downlaod netflix (which is what i wanted)

Hi, it could be that Netflix is one of the built-in apps, and therefore can only use the on board storage.

0 Likes
dragonsun
Explorer
Options

it is but so is youtube but i was able to download youtube through external storage.

i actually lost all my built-in apps after i reset smart hub along with my internal storage reaching 0 KB 😞

are there still no solutions to get back 'normal' storage? :<

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

No, unless you're very lucky. A user on page 178  @Potatismoose tried a flash reset and said that it freed up 240MB, which helps. Another user @teeveestuff said that worked for him too. I'm not sure if they still have the same free space.

This is copied from the post:

Ok, here is a solution that worked for me. You have the ”normal” reset that doesn’t work, and them you have the flash reset that worked for me. 

under the Samsung logo on the TV you have a small black button about 2-3cm in from the bottom edge. With the tv turned on

1. press the button at the logo for 5-10 seconds

2. Release the button

3. press the power button on the TV Remote for 5-10 seconds. Tv goes black and then restarts after a while. This is the flash reset and made my tv go from 80mb free storage to 240mb free storage. Still crazy that there isn’t more available space when storage units is cheap as hell... but anyway, that worked for me.

I have a 55NU7475.

(NB this sets everything back to factory settings, so all the logins will have to be re-entered).

0 Likes