Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 05-12-2020 09:58 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
RichardTV
Apprentice
Options

It's not a DHCP issue, which is proven by the Wireshark captures and what I explained with the TCP RST packets. 

NMAP works every time, SDB doesn't work every time. It's not a network layer problem (DHCP, IP, TCP), it is an application layer problem, i.e. SDB.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Toxblh
Journeyman
Options

Anyway show me dev mode window. I can confirm you did all right

So https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/getting-started/using-sdk/tv-device.html
you didn't step "Enter the IP address of the computer that you want to connect to the TV, and click "OK"."

I asked you a few times to check it and show for confirm you did it. I make sure you didn't it and that's why my app doesn't work for you. And yes I use Samsung SDB for developers.

0 Likes
RichardTV
Apprentice
Options

Yes, adding the IP in the box fixed it... thanks, it works and I delete the apps :smiling-face: 

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Well the last few posts were to technical for me.. and i guess for many others.

You shouldn't have to be an IT buff to work a TV, i have  been part of this forum since about June.

I was refunded with a section 75 claim with my UK credit card company, set bought outside of UK living in Greece and the retailer customer care was none existent.

Have you contacted your retailer? 6 months out of warranty is not the end of the world.

Read from about page 135 on here to get advice, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@RichardTV wrote:

Yes, adding the IP in the box fixed it... thanks, it works and I delete the apps :smiling-face: 

That's good, but let us know when the apps come back, which they certainly will.

0 Likes
DoomSlayer
First Poster
Options

Team,

I know this will not be a solution for everyone, but I am in the same situation, but what I ended up doing is resetting to the most basic so it doesn't use too much memory. Then I bought a device, xiaomi mi 4 box which has 8GB of space it basically has all the apps I could ever want and more. I have like 50 apps installed it supports 4k HDR etc.. there's no point in having a smart tv if you will only use 1 app. Hope this helps some of you and a lot cheaper than purchasing a new tv.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Agreed we could have found a work around for this problem., Fire-stick etc,  but i don't think that is what this Forum is about.  Samsung produced a (Smart TV) which by definition isn't so smart.  People paid up to £800 or even more for a TV  that in some cases produced the memory full notice in less than a year.

Some bright spark at Samsung reduced the internal memory on that years range, no doubt getting a nice pat on the back from Samsung for saving them a few million in costs.

When the problem came to light the answer from Samsung was to tell falsehoods < an upcoming update would put things right.- changing the board is the solution- stick a USB in the set to extend memory- plus others>.

Being in Greece customer service from retailers i have found to be poor at best, so getting nowhere with them i  contacted Samsung explained the situation was always told someone would get back to me and they never did. Samsung sold millions of sets worldwide with this fault and have never given a reply to this forum or others regarding the fault. Imagine if they had been forced to recall all of these sets, that would certainly have put a dent in the years profits!!

This subject has all but dried up now from when i joined in June 2019, i was one of the lucky ones who got a full refund, not from Samsung or the retailer but made a section 75 claim with my UK credit card.

I think Samsung have dogged the bullet on this subject now but will make potential customers think twice on buying Samsung again.

Once again i urge people to read from about page 135 on here, you will find invaluable advice from people who have jumped through the hoops and in most cases won a refund.

Please reply here to keep the site alive.

Liam548
Explorer
Options

You are spot on

They should acknowledge they messed up and replace the TVs

I see now they are pushing the 8k adverts 

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

It's interesting that this is still rumbling on. I've still got my NU7400 - I couldn't be bothered to argue any more with Samsung and John Lewis about it so the TV was relegated to the spare room over a year ago and I bought a much better Panasonic instead. John Lewis kept refusing to accept that there was a fault and instead gave me £100 as a goodwill gesture which I accepted. 

The TV has had fairly frequent use over the past year, particularly during the past 8 months of working from home and it's interesting to note that it still functions fine, despite the insufficient storage message. I've updated the firmware, all the apps I've used are updated and nothing has crashed or seemed to struggle. 

Whatever the error message actually means it's clearly not affecting the actual usage of the TV in a 'normal' day to day setting. I think that's probably why Samsung haven't really taken it seriously and only a relatively few number of people dug their heels in enough to get a refund. 

I think it's great that those who did have the stamina got their refunds, but for the lazier people like myself, it does seem that we still have fully functioning TVs, despite the odd insufficient storage message.

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

2 weeks since the last post!!

Anymore input? Anyone had any further dealings with retailer? If so what was the outcome.

Just trying to keep this going.

0 Likes