Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 24-09-2020 01:02 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
storpey
Explorer
Options

@monk2 Sadly not! I've been palmed off by John Lewis. After an extended debate, they claim the engineer's temporary reset and removal of the e-manual (which is now back) allowed the firmware update to install, and that the problem is fixed. They constantly refute that the problem is a hardware one, and therefore all software issues should be referred to Samsung.

I gave the case number of @Rowley1  and explained he was fully refunded for exactly the same issue. John Lewis rep stated that his problem wasn't fixable, but mine was. I also explained how that's wrong in many ways and it's a hardware, not software issue (the hardware's the problem, the software's the symptom), but the customer service rep put up a wall and stopped there – I'm not totally sure they understood what the issue was in the first place really, two months after me reporting it. When I asked what they expect me to do when the same issue happens trying to install or update anything, they said it's a matter of hiring my own engineer or speaking to Samsung. Obviously complete rubbish, but they wouldn't let me go any further with it.

I've informed them that I'll be lodging an official complaint with John Lewis, then escalating it if need be within the company, then taking it to an ombudsman if that doesn't work. The good thing about that is I can present the entire problem in one straightforward, well-laid out document so I'm not passed between a dozen different customer service reps for two months who don't know the whole problem.

Fingers crossed it goes well. And thanks so much for your support on this thread too. Will report back when I've had time to put the complaint together.

halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

Put the official complaint in, I did after going round in circles with JL.  Once it was in, they backed down and issued my full refund.  They accepted that it was a hardware fault after all.

You will get a result.  Good luck

0 Likes
storpey
Explorer
Options

That's what I'm hoping for too. Thanks Halster :smiling-face:

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

storpey.

Good to see you're getting support from regular posters.

Don't bother with Samsung, no one has has a positive response from them. Neither do you need your own engineers report again all the information is here.

Tell them if you don't reach a satisfactory solution you will go to trading standards.

They have stone walled until the 11th hour before and always paid .

I am 100% certain you will get a full refund.

Keep us informed.

0 Likes
DirectorsScarf
Apprentice
Options

Hello

How do you escalate a direct complaint to Samsung please. RS gave me a "fix" which didn't work

Thankyou

Chris 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@storpey  Just to reiterate the encouragement - I'm this thread's OP and I confirm that JL eventually refunded me. It took four months and was very frustrating, but it's totally achievable.

As you say, part of the problem is that often the person you're talking to doesn't actually understand what the issue is and would rather fob you off than make an effort to understand. Given JL's financial difficulties I can see that they're far less cooperative and on the customer's side than they used to be, which is sad and will actually accelerate their demise.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@DirectorsScarf wrote:

Hello

How do you escalate a direct complaint to Samsung please. RS gave me a "fix" which didn't work

Thankyou

Chris 

I wouldn't waste your time with Samsung, and put pressure on your retailer instead.

0 Likes
Liam548
Explorer
Options

I've just read the first dozen or so pages to this huge thread then the last hoping to find a solution as this issue as my 2018 Samsung has the same warning each time I open the apps page. 

I'll try resetting the apps menu tomorrow (this doesn't affect the actual TV settings does it?) to see if i can get it to update. 

The annoying thing is I've hardly any apps downloaded anyway. 

The TV was purchased from Curry's in late 2018 and paid for by credit card. 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Hello Liam548.

Good to get another new post on this subject. First what model is the TV?

How long have you noticed the message < unable to update internal memory full>

Have you contacted Curry's before about this and what did they say.

Now i suggest you read backwards from this page, all you need to know on how to get a refund is here. Bring up rowley1 comments as a guide. I doubt if Curry's will be helpful but they must be your first contact.

If they  refuse to help at all go to the credit card company.

I live outside the UK and bought my NU7100 in Greece with my UK credit card.

The shop i bought from refused to help so i put in a section 75 claim with the C.Card company.

They were amazing within a week of them getting back to me i was refunded in full by them.

Keep us informed.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@markusss wrote:

Now the TV installed Disney+ even it had only 70mb free space. Even the TV says it can't update apps, it can install more bloatware?!

There is too many apps which users doesn't need, and they can't uninstall these. 

Also, even I'm using a memory stick I can't move apps from internal to external memory.

I'm (still) disappointed. TV is already a year old so I can't return it. 

@markusss   Obviously a problem if you cannot move apps to external memory, will se if any further  information available. on other point Whilst more challenging  it is possible to make a claim from retailer if fault has developed after goods purchased and warranty has run out.  Understand you are resident in Finland where advice is similar. 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes