Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 21-08-2020 03:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
BrianDuffy
Journeyman
Options

Thanks - after being switched to 8 different drones they've now asked me to wait 24 hours for their support team to contact me.. I bought the TV in November 2018 - am I still covered by the Consumer Rights Act? Samsung have destroyed my TV through this bloatware ***** consuming resources, space and overall sluggy UI now. 

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Good luck Brian

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Forget Samsung, the ones of us who contacted them have all been fobbed off with < we will ring you back>

Guess what they never do!! Read rowley1 posts for some very informative information. Please name retailer,

you have a right to expect goods to be of serviceable quality.

So yes speak to retailer and read consumer rights posted on this site.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@BrianDuffy wrote:

Thanks - after being switched to 8 different drones they've now asked me to wait 24 hours for their support team to contact me.. I bought the TV in November 2018 - am I still covered by the Consumer Rights Act? Samsung have destroyed my TV through this bloatware ***** consuming resources, space and overall sluggy UI now. 

Yes, you will still be covered. Have a read of this from Which magazine:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#how-long-do-you-have-to-retur...

Quote: 

Six months or more

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it. In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range. 

Find out more about how to return a faulty item and claim a refund, repair or replacement from a retailer.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland. This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product. 

BrianDuffy
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for all the help. I finally got through to Samsung support and they were actually very helpful - problem with my TV solved with a flash reset & manual firmware update using USB. More space now. I asked the support if I could remove the bloatware and they said it wasn't possible.

BUT I kept trying and have found an easy workaround to remove all the bloatware across any Samsung TVs. Worked on my QLED and NU models

https://youtu.be/lyV7eJ87eY0

marcolan
Journeyman
Options

It's a nice workaround, more simple than devoper mode way.

But the preinstalled apps will reinstall themselves after few hours.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@BrianDuffy wrote:

Thanks for all the help. I finally got through to Samsung support and they were actually very helpful - problem with my TV solved with a flash reset & manual firmware update using USB. More space now. I asked the support if I could remove the bloatware and they said it wasn't possible.

BUT I kept trying and have found an easy workaround to remove all the bloatware across any Samsung TVs. Worked on my QLED and NU models

https://youtu.be/lyV7eJ87eY0

I'm afraid the freed-up space will disappear and the built-in apps will return. There is NO solution to this issue.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Hi Brian,

Not sure I understand the gains.  You can reset the TV and all apps that Samsung , through multi million dollar deals with the respective companies, force us to keep will still remain there.  

Do you have 90% free memory after deleting the apps?

Thanks

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Samsung Accredited engineers did that to my TV. Got rid of the tizen apps.

While they were in the phone, smug with a solution, I chirped back "Now connect it to the internet and tell me what happens".

All the apps came back. That was when I said to the engineers that it was acceptable they tried, but there is no solution.

Regardless of what pathetic assumption of a solution Samsung try to enforce on customers, every 'fix' is a non-starter.

The ONLY solution is to add more storage chip capacity to the motherboard. That is it. 

There is no other solution

My replacement TV runs android. I can add any app I choose. There are no forced apps that I cannot delete and I have 16gb of storage.

Plus it has Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and is a full HDR 10+ panel.

To kick Samsung in the teeth, it was actually less expensive than the NU7400

storpey
Explorer
Options

Exact same problem as everyone else.

I had an engineer flash reset my NU7400 at John Lewis' request (something along the lines of holding down the button on the front of the TV for 5 sec, then holding down something on the smart remote for 5 sec). Went through setup. It got rid of the e-manual and I have (shock) 15% space free now, more than the 2% I had before. That's all well and good, and the TV technically runs, but that's beside the point.

However, I'm on BIOS version 1294. I see there's a 1300 on the Samsung website. Since the flash, my option to check for BIOS updates has been greyed out. Can't access the auto-update settings or manually check for an update. Am I missing something, or has this ACTUALLY disabled my ability to obtain further updates? I feel conspiracy theories brewing inside me...

0 Likes