Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 27-07-2020 10:18 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mazzinia
Navigator
Options
I agree, but if they eventually say "bring the tv in, we send for repair or check" and is kept away for a week or more I will be clearly told by the current user to "shut up" 😞
0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

What happened to the thread? Seems it's all screwed up

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

Yes, it's been like this since yesterday, @monk2 tipped me off about it. On this page I can see your post but there are also posts from 2018 and March 2020! Also, all the page numbering is gone and it just says at the bottom "load more replies".

I suspect this is a technical glitch as other threads seem to have the same problem. Certain things look different and I think they've been attempting to upgrade the forum software and it hasn't worked (sounds familiar lol).

Mods: any chance of an update on this?

Edit: I don't think many posts have been lost from the overall thread as we're now at 1612 posts including this one, which is about right, accounting for a few of the recent responses to 'Neau' being chopped.

AntS
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Rowley1 wrote:

Yes, it's been like this since yesterday, @monk2 tipped me off about it. On this page I can see your post but there are also posts from 2018 and March 2020! Also, all the page numbering is gone and it just says at the bottom "load more replies".

I suspect this is a technical glitch as other threads seem to have the same problem. Certain things look different and I think they've been attempting to upgrade the forum software and it hasn't worked (sounds familiar lol).

Mods: any chance of an update on this?

Edit: I don't think many posts have been lost from the overall thread as we're now at 1612 posts including this one, which is about right, accounting for a few of the recent responses to 'Neau' being chopped.

Avatar > My Settings > Preferences > Display > 'Show first post in a topic and number of replies'; and when you're in Preferences in 'Linear Layout' and 'Threaded Layout' set it as 'Oldest First'. 

Should restore sanity in terms of the thread appearance. 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Many thanks, that seems to have worked.

Bart8778
Apprentice
Options

I just recently found out this problem, and in a search I found this thread.

I bought my samsung UE43NU7450 tv in sept. 2018 in The Netherlands.

The tv says: 715Mb used, and 101Mb free.

For an update off samsung hub there is 92Mb needed. So No way that an update is possible in this way. 

I did not install any app. All apps are fixed, and It is not possible to remove these.

These apps are apps like: apple TV, Apple Music, Canal digital, Netflix, Youtube, Privacy choices (??), Prime Video, Google play Movies and tv, Pathe cinema, Rakuted tv, and even NPO (dutch tv) is fixed, etc.

I only use Netflix, Youtube. Where is my choice to install or remove what I want?

Is there a fix for this???

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hi Burt8778,

Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately in short there is no fix, you are unable to delete the stock apps.  There is in depth information on this and what you need to do in the previous pages, please take some time and read through and you will get a better understanding of the issue.  

0 Likes
DannyC09
Journeyman
Options

Thanks to everyone for their efforts on this.

I am in the same boat and have tried many of the "fixes" to no avail.

I'm now on my third attempt at getting JL to resolve this after being pushed between JL and Samsung.

As suggested, I have emailed the customer relations and made a complaint.  I've requested a full refund and have also contacted my credit card company to begin a section 75 claim.

Fingers crossed!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@DannyC09 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their efforts on this.

I am in the same boat and have tried many of the "fixes" to no avail.

I'm now on my third attempt at getting JL to resolve this after being pushed between JL and Samsung.

As suggested, I have emailed the customer relations and made a complaint.  I've requested a full refund and have also contacted my credit card company to begin a section 75 claim.

Fingers crossed!

As you're with JL you will eventually get a refund as they'll cave at the eleventh hour. All of us here who bought from them managed it, but not without a struggle. Keep going, and search the posts from @Rowley1  for some good tips.

Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

@DannyC09 

Don't speak to Samsung. They will always say they will get an engineer to ring you back. They never do.

Your point of contact in the UK is with your retailer, in this case John Lewis.

Under your warranty, JL will need an engineer to look at it. They will want to take your set away, let them. This is their protocol. If you dismiss this option, they do not have to give you a refund.

When they take your set away, tell them that unless they physically expand the storage, the set is not fit for purpose as a smart TV.

They will give you a sheet to sign that they are taking the set. On THEIR sheet, write the above comment about the storage. It is then on record and take a picture of it in your phone as evidence.

Only call John Lewis when the engineers have taken your set. The call is logged at their end.

When the engineers call you back about your TV, they will probably say "it's beyond economical repair". At this point, phone John Lewis and state you want a full refund as you were sold a TV not fitting the trade descriptions act.

Mention you are on the official Samsung forum and several have had full refunds.

They may offer you a partial refund. Kindly dismiss this as the problem has occurred from day one and has not developed a fault over time.

Be calm and courteous on the phone. It gets you further, even though you feel frustrated.

It may take a few days for them to come to a decision, but you will get a full refund

Start looking for a better TV.

On another note, the thread seems to have righted itself. Maybe the forum ran out of storage? Wouldn't surprise me given the size if this thread