Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 20-07-2020 11:28 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hi Monk,

Have a look at this thread on HotUKDeals..

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-55-inch-kd55xf9005bu-smart-4k-hdr-led-tv-3508284

Lots of comments...

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks for all the information on what TV to buy. Not being in the UK i am envious of some of th deals you get, but here in Greece its much more limited due to less demand. Shops here closed Sunday so could do little yesterday.

Did make some calls Saturday so waiting for replys. Have bought via Amazon before but the delivery charges for a large item like a TV can top £80 also with Brexit coming up if had to return the item guess it would be more as out of E.U.

Really like the sony reviews on picture and if i can get the price lowered more i might go for it and get a Firestick/Ruku .

LG 55sm8600 had mediocre review  on rtings site i know but people who commented on AVforums who have bought one seem happy enough.

LG B9 here around £1100 and cant really justify the extra for my type of viewing.

Will post again when have more ifo.

rowley1.  Simon hows your set handling with Android and what version do you have?

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
I came to the conclusion that the Philips and the Sony was the best picture at the moment.
Philips swung it for me because it was Android 9 and Sony was Android 8.
The engineers that took my Samsung also mentioned problems with the Sony 8 and 9 series for the android alone.
Android on mine is slick and I have not noticed any lag. Although the only downside is the stock video player. Streaming looked washed out so I remedied that with VLC player.
Most of my streaming goes through the firestick anyway for the Dolby vision.
Don't be put off by Philips being a cheaper price. They are trying to get a foothold in the market again.
I would pick the Philips above all else again in a heartbeat

Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
If the Sony 55 xf9005 is £699, the Philips 55 pus8204 is £499.

Almost exactly the same TV and the picture processing is very similar. Philips has the newer android and Ambilight (awesome).

Save yourself £200 and buy a soundbar. You'll need it for either tv

Both are midrange sets with only better specs on the pus8500 and XG sets for the Sony. Far more expensive and even then you are into oled money
0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:
If the Sony 55 xf9005 is £699, the Philips 55 pus8204 is £499.

Almost exactly the same TV and the picture processing is very similar. Philips has the newer android and Ambilight (awesome).

Save yourself £200 and buy a soundbar. You'll need it for either tv

Both are midrange sets with only better specs on the pus8500 and XG sets for the Sony. Far more expensive and even then you are into oled money

Okay pal, thanks for the info. Unable to get Philips here and countries not keen on posting to here.

Amazon charge £81 which is an awful lot. A few years ago getting postage to Greece no problem but things started going missing!! Still looking and waiting for retailers to get back to me.

Cheers.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:
Most of my streaming goes through the firestick anyway for the Dolby vision.

Okay i told you at the start of all this i wasn't very good with jargon. Does that mean the O.S doesn't really play a big part of the set?and you don't receive Dolby vision via the Apps on the TV. always thought these firestick were for people like me out of the country trying to access UK TV.
In my situation which of these things is a recommended buy.
0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
Ok. Let me break it down. I am a lazy watcher of TV.
Amazon prime video on the firestick is much better quality than the android app. That's what I do streaming off.

iPlayer and Netflix, I run through the android.
I have virgin TV so I watch that most of the time.
The main aspect is that I have an antivirus on my TV AND a VPN. I have had 2 Google security updates since I bought the TV
0 Likes
Neau
First Poster
Options

You guys may not want to hear this but having a usb as another source of storage is actully better then having more storage installed in the TV. If you are having problems accessing the usb as storage, make sure that you have the usb installed in the usb port that says "USB HDD". The Usb tend to have a faster load time when installing or reading compared to the internal drive. Also most importantly you can add 10 to 100 times the storage, therfore its more of a privilege to be able to increase the storage.  hope this helps!

0 Likes
Neau
First Poster
Options
Make sure you placed the usb in the port that says "USB HDD". if you need to power off and on the TV.
0 Likes
Neau
First Poster
Options
This is not a flaw at all. just make sure your plugged in the right usb port. I'm a big fan of Samsung TVs I've been buying them for over 12 years now. They make the best TVs hands down!
0 Likes