Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 17-07-2020 05:04 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

From what I can gather, Samsung have semi-fixed the issue by fiddling the file size of the apps (or hugely compressing them). So when you reset the TV and it says you have 30MB left, you install a 10Mb app and it somehow only uses 1Mb, but if you try to install a 35Mb app, then it fails, just like the firmware updates. 

My suspicion is that in time, they will remove the file size pre-install validation, or add additional code to make the software installs act like its installing a smaller file.

i.e. 100Mb / 10 = 10mb then update    

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hi guys,

Samsung are and have been aware of this issue since 2018, and they refuse to resolve it, thats because it cant, unless they allow you to delete the stock apps, which they wont allow as they get commission for having them on there.

If you look through the posts, you will see everything that can be done to fix it as been done.  Unfortunately its a hardware fault due to the board only having 1gb for the OS and Apps.  

marcolan
Journeyman
Options
I continue to say that it will be so simply: in place of stock apps they could put a link to install that app.
Normal user sees the link and clicks on it making that app installed. If he uninstalls app then link remains.
I very hope they solve using a trick like this, but are they listening at these issues?
0 Likes
marcolan
Journeyman
Options
You can put your apps in an external usb key. You can do it if the app doesn't fit in tv. A trick is to fill the internal memory with trash apps and then put our apps in external usb. After uninstall trash apps. I have 12% free in this way and I can use my tv.
0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@marcolan wrote:
You can put your apps in an external usb key. You can do it if the app doesn't fit in tv. A trick is to fill the internal memory with trash apps and then put our apps in external usb. After uninstall trash apps. I have 12% free in this way and I can use my tv.

Why in gods name would i want to mess about will all that.

I bought a TV in good faith the set has a big button with Auto Update and i have it turned on.

In 2018 Samsung sold 33 million TVs. It's not our fault Samsung thought they would make even more profit by reducing the internal memory .

That should be the end of it.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@marcolan wrote:

I'm afraid this doesn't work as a solution. As has been repeated here hundreds of times, the internal apps and operating system require the internal drive to work and update. If that drive is maxed out, the apps and OS will not update. You'll find out when the next update occurs.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

I have been without my set since  16th  June, it still has 1 year warranty.  Various Samsung repair engineers have had it.

My retailer E-shop in Greece still not replied to my calls and emails. Samsung Greece promise to ring me back and have not.

But my Credit Card company are engaging with me,they are asking questions which is good so hopefully i will hear more of my section 75 claim against retailer.

0 Likes
marcolan
Journeyman
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@marcolan wrote:

I'm afraid this doesn't work as a solution. As has been repeated here hundreds of times, the internal apps and operating system require the internal drive to work and update. If that drive is maxed out, the apps and OS will not update. You'll find out when the next update occurs.

Let's see.

I have been using my TV for months since I fixed in that way. I wasn't able to uninstall e manual but I have 12/ 13% free with my custom apps installed in external key.

I understand Who wants a refund but i prefer to find away to use my 400 € TV . 

I am sure i Will change It in 2 or 3 years, like a smartphone It Will become obsolete. Well, It Is cheaper than a mid range smartphone, It doesn t surprise.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@marcolan wrote:

@Tony47 wrote:

@marcolan wrote:

Let's see.

I have been using my TV for months since I fixed in that way. I wasn't able to uninstall e manual but I have 12/ 13% free with my custom apps installed in external key.

I understand Who wants a refund but i prefer to find away to use my 400 € TV . 

I am sure i Will change It in 2 or 3 years, like a smartphone It Will become obsolete. Well, It Is cheaper than a mid range smartphone, It doesn t surprise.

Perhaps its an age thing? But my set was around €650 then finally reduced to €450 so i bought it.

I expect many years service from it. Read recently on a site Samsung only promise to update smart TVs for 2 years other manufacturers said 4 years. This is my first Smart TV, does that mean after these 2 years efectifly it will be unsafe to use and will i be required to use a firestick. If so is it possible to buy a TV with UHD without the smart side of things. I would then use a fire stick with it hopefully for many years.

0 Likes
marcolan
Journeyman
Options

@monk2 wrote:

Perhaps its an age thing? But my set was around €650 then finally reduced to €450 so i bought it.

I expect many years service from it. Read recently on a site Samsung only promise to update smart TVs for 2 years other manufacturers said 4 years. This is my first Smart TV, does that mean after these 2 years efectifly it will be unsafe to use and will i be required to use a firestick. If so is it possible to buy a TV with UHD without the smart side of things. I would then use a fire stick with it hopefully for many years.

It's a 49'' NU7170, not so aged, I bought about 2 years ago in a "special offer" like more others...

All electronics in these years have a short life, if you want to use with up to date apps and technology.

I don't know if it will become unsafe, I do suspect apps like Netflix require update tvs to work.

We can surely decide to extend its life with a stick that is cheaper to change after a couple of years.

Or to change it like we do with smartphone that are more expensive than these tvs.

Memory issue is an annoying thing, but imho real lacks in my tv are having no audio jack or/and bluethooth and a video player incompatible with too many video formats: it can read half of videos that can be played in my previuos tv (also samsung, 3d but no smart).

0 Likes