Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16-07-2020 03:24 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Great thanks to Tony for originally highlighting this. Otherwise I would have not got involved.

Nice to hear you got your money back halster. 

If this had been a TV from hisense, or a Tesco blaupunkt telly, then we could have understood that. But this is Samsung.

Never another product will be bought manufactured by them.

We just have to get monk his money back now

markusss
Journeyman
Options

You guys are getting refunds? This whole "feature" is so stupid. I've somehow got more apps which I can't uninstall and which I never will use. For example: Apple Music, RakurenTV, apple TV, Prime video, Google Play Movies & TV.

Even I delete all apps which can be uninstalled, I gain ~40Mb more space. But to get updates I need to get total of 138Mb which is impossible!

Does resetting TV help or will it keep memory as full as before resetting?

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@markusss wrote:

You guys are getting refunds? This whole "feature" is so stupid. I've somehow got more apps which I can't uninstall and which I never will use. For example: Apple Music, RakurenTV, apple TV, Prime video, Google Play Movies & TV.

Even I delete all apps which can be uninstalled, I gain ~40Mb more space. But to get updates I need to get total of 138Mb which is impossible!

Does resetting TV help or will it keep memory as full as before resetting?

Hello. @MarkusS 

The short answer is No!! If you read back through these pages you will see every alternative before being given a refund has been tried. Eventually if you are persistent enough as others on this site have been you will be rewarded. But be prepared for a long hard slog, for me now its as much a matter of principle as the money.

Living in Greece with its poor customer service is one hell of a journey but i intend to see this to the bitter end.

0 Likes
Stephenk90
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. Auto update needs 156.56MB and the available space is 37.26MB. I spoke to the retailer this morning as I had not heard back after they tried to fix the issue, only to be told that I did not need the software updates so I should turn auto updates off. I also explained that I was unable to delete any apps that I did not want to use. He said that they are all standard apps and cannot be deleted.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Hello, who was the retailer? 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Stephenk90 wrote:

I have the same issue. Auto update needs 156.56MB and the available space is 37.26MB. I spoke to the retailer this morning as I had not heard back after they tried to fix the issue, only to be told that I did not need the software updates so I should turn auto updates off. I also explained that I was unable to delete any apps that I did not want to use. He said that they are all standard apps and cannot be deleted.

Please read back just a few pages and you will learn a great deal.

Yes who was the retailer who said turn off updates??? Not only are you stopping the Apps you have getting updated but  the security and firmware updates that Samsung say are so important. Ask him why does the TV have an auto update facility in the Menu if it is to be ignored

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Are you actually sure that our sets are receiving still firmware and security updates ?

Mine didn't even receive the last 1 / 2 updates that you got ( that didn't fix the issues ), and gives me the impression that all our line has been pulled from updates, no matter what our settings are.

0 Likes
Stephenk90
First Poster
Options

It was a local independent retailer and a Euronics member. I ended up terminating the call as he was making me angry. I advised him that the software updates would be required in the same way that software updates for apps on my phone or tablet would be required. All he said was that I had bought a budget TV and if I wanted more space I should have bought a more expensive set. Thats when I lost it and hung up. 

0 Likes
Stephenk90
First Poster
Options

I have just been onto Samsung customer care. The guy has told be to do a flash reset to bring the TV back to its initial set up condition. I asked him if this would this resolve it? He said that this is a solution to the problem. 

Has anyone else been asked to do this? I'm a bit reluctant to do this if others have tried and it did not work. Its a real pain having to key passwords back into apps and setting up favourite channels etc. 

Do the customer care people read the community comments? If they did they would see there is a problem with the 7400 series of sets?

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

Yes, I was asked to do this. It makes no difference. 

0 Likes