Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 06-07-2020 11:23 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Just got of the phone with my retailer here in Greece. He said they sent the TV back to Samsung on Friday, told him legally my dispute is with them. Previously Credit Card company said they will not intervene unless retailer refuses to help.

Not refusing to help is not the same as helping so ringing card company again now.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

A lady from Samsung Greece called they want to download the Apps to a USB stick to clear space for updates in the memory. Told her it's unacceptable for me to have to use 3rd party hardware to make the set do whats its suppose to do on its own. Seem to remember someone else on this forum being asked to have the same fix, will look at previous posts.

She wouldn't discuss it any further so Credit Card Company now!!

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

JL did a U turn today morning. Called them as i did not get any calls from the 'Alternate Resolutions team', after 1 hr wait a lady picked up and said they'd be doing another repair as its economical for them. I asked her to understand the issue rather than just fiddling around with the TV, she said thats what they gonna do, so i said ok.

ISL (repair company) just called up and said they will pick it up tomorrow, and he said why dont you use an external drive, i said it was not mentioned during the sale, he said there is nothing they could do, but as JL asked them, they'd do a full functional check and report it back to JL.

I dont think this is going anywhere, i am not going to buy another TV from JL, this is driving me nuts, trying to prove to them. They just seem to ignore the forums and all other cases, dealing on a case by case basis trying to wriggle out. Pathetic.

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

Would it make sense all of us who bought from John Lewis, collating our information and raising a case with their customer support to get more traction??

I just sent an email to - Head_of_Customer_Service@johnlewis.co.uk telling them of my hassle so far and asking them to look at it, building the paper trail now.

halster65
Pioneer
Options
According to consumer law, if they have tried to repair your device once before, you are not obliged to accept another repair, they can offer but you dont have to accept. I will be on to them later on. I will be asking for ' the final right to reject' and will want everything in writing.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
Just to add, on trustpilot review site, there is someone from JL responding to the deluge of complaints, there is another email address that they want you to email..with your issues;

Please email your order number, address, email and phone number to: tell.us.more@johnlewis.co.uk.

You should read on trustpilot the comments, its beyond shocking...

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Just to reiterate the reality if engineers, retailers or Samsung tell you to use an external drive, as if that cures the problem. It doesn't. Even if it did, it's not an acceptable solution as it shows that the TV has insufficient built-in memory anyway.

The built-in apps and operating system need the internal drive and cannot use an external one. So if the drive is full that's it - nothing can be moved across to free up memory, and the built-in apps can't be deleted either. The drive gets full over time without adding any third party apps, purely due to the built-in apps and OS updating themselves. Updates can be switched off, but that renders the TV insecure and also means apps are not working as they should, which is not a viable solution.

Mitrekab
Pioneer
Options

Very similar issue with THE FRAME, it has 4 gig but...

The built in apps take 750mb leaving 3.25gig. However every time you look at a piece of the art it eats into the memory.

It fills up and cant be deleted, new art can then not be viewed. We got the TV on the 25th June, 3 factory resets later and the memory is full again. Not one single app downlaoded and I delete the Samsung Offers App and Samsung Gallery App very other day to get the extra 1% free memory. 

Customer service are a waste of time, 1 hour 30 mins, cant delete the cache of the artwork or the bloatware just get you to do a reset, this of course means re doing Netflix, Prime BBC and C4  passwords accounts etc. TV good for a couple of days and then full again.

So even if the Samsung TV has 4 Gig the software glytch is there so I would say just dont buy.

NK79
First Poster
Options

Hi All,

I am facing similar issue with mu7000 series tv which I have been using in India.

I have run out of storage space bcos of default apps installed.

There is no way uninstall it.

Is there way of using external hard drive for installing apps?

Any pointers will be appreciated?

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:
Just to add, on trustpilot review site, there is someone from JL responding to the deluge of complaints, there is another email address that they want you to email..with your issues;

Please email your order number, address, email and phone number to: tell.us.more@johnlewis.co.uk.

You should read on trustpilot the comments, its beyond shocking...

Please give email link to trustpilot thread. tried to find it but can't

Thanks.

0 Likes