Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-07-2020 04:44 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:
That sounds promising, hope they come through with it!
Ive emailed the company that replaced my system board. Ive asked them to confirm there finding in writing. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

I will also be putting a phone call to them sometime today.

Samsung sent to an engineer to look at my set nearly 3 weeks ago, they said he would do the repair at my home but he took it away.  After continually phoning / emailing him for over a week i went to his service shop,he said he was waiting for instruction from Samsung the set was untouched at the back of his shop. He told me he could do nothing with the set and my best option was to return it to retailer. I asked for a copy of his report to Samsung this he refused saying it was confidential. So the retailer has had it nearly 2 weeks and not even looked at it..I sent an email earlier this weeks saying by next Tuesday i want a conclusion.

I am sure they want to drag it out till August as everywhere closes down, that will be another month gone

I am in Greece not UK.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:
Ive been looking at tvs all week, LG, Philip's, and Hisense. been reading AV Forum about the Uled hisense,. Reviews certainly sound great, theres a in depth review on YouTube by AV forum for the U7B hisense. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/s8RfbAeeeYk

Ive got the below models as potential replacement for my 7400.

LG Sm8050
Hisense U7B
Philips 8204.

Watched the link given for Hisense. , looks good.

The Philips is obviously the winner but my set will be on a bracket at an angle to the wall so Ambilight i guess will look wrong.

Looked at LG 8200 today instore again a decent picture for my need i'm no TV buff. Someone on AVforum downloaded Which review and that was very good. For me its UK TV over the internet with other stuff downloaded at 4K on external drive again review good. surprised as LG price here much the same or even lower than UK. (550 euro) Use to a 20% increase in price to TVs  so once all this sorted maybe the one i'll pick.

0 Likes
billyb_834652
Explorer
Options
Persistent issue first declared in December 2018.
1,461 Replies
147 Pages
Not a single peep out of Samsung on their official forum speaks volumes of what they think of their customers.
halster65
Pioneer
Options
Its staggering, it really is. I for one will never buy a samsung again, or buy from John Lewis.

Ive been on to trading standards and have been advised that they will take my case on as JLhave clearly breached my consumer rights. Also sent a complaint to HQ CS, ive also talked to the repair company and explained the issue, they are aware of this limitation on these samsung tvs. Ive asked them to send an email to JL explaining the issue. They said they will send it today.

Ive again been fobbed off when i spoke with JL technical support, this time they want me to update the tv firmware! I explained at great lengths how this wasnt going to resolve this issue, but accepted that I will, as he was saying ' are you unwilling to comply with our advise' this is their get out clause, so said fine. Ill update.

Stating trading standards, or consumer rights seems to go over their heads. So I will be taking this all the way to the courts if need be, im so pissed.
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I think it would be good if one of these cases was taken to the courts as it would set a legal precedent. Hopefully JL will back down, but if they don't and you find you might incur legal costs, a gofundme appeal would work. I'd certainly contribute.

Did you by any chance pay for the TV with a credit card? If so, you have extra protection.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I was just going through some of my old notes on this issue from last year, and remembered a disussion on here about the size of the drive. It turned out that all of us had usable space of exactly 816.18MB if you add the used space and remaining space together.

That means that allowing for formatting, all of us with the issue had a 1GB board fitted to accommodate the apps and OS, when the norm is at least 3GB. This is not a software issue, it's a hardware design issue. For some reason some ***** at Samsung designed the TV's with insufficient space to allow the TV to function as a smart TV, but even worse, not having enough space to update the OS after a year or so, rendering it insecure and open to hacking.

There must be hundreds of thousands of cases like this, and that is presumably why Samsung have remained silent on it (with the complicity of retailers who don't act unless pushed), and every time someone new contacts them about the issue they pretend that it's the first time they've heard of it.

Out of interest, could a few of you add your used and remaining space together and post the result here? It would be interesting to see if the figure varies from 816.18MB.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
I paid with a debit card, so I should have the same protection as paying with a credit card. Well thats what trading standards said.

All this has stressed me out!
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'm afraid Trading Standards misinformed you.

Protection under a credit card is much better as it's part of a credit agreement. It's called Section 75:

https://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/how-does-section-75-protect-your-credit-card-spending.htm

Debit Card protection offers 'Chargeback', which isn't as good but might work in your case:

https://www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/is-debit-card-protection-the-same-as-for-credit-cards.htm

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

I'm afraid Trading Standards misinformed you.

Protection under a credit card is much better as it's part of a credit agreement. It's called Section 75:

https://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/how-does-section-75-protect-your-credit-card-spending.htm

Debit Card protection offers 'Chargeback', which isn't as good but might work in your case:

https://www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/is-debit-card-protection-the-same-as-for-credit-cards.htm

Yes agree with above.

Always use credit card to buy items if possible, fortunately i have my card set up to repay full amount each month so no extra charges from card.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

I think it would be good if one of these cases was taken to the courts as it would set a legal precedent. Hopefully JL will back down, but if they don't and you find you might incur legal costs, a gofundme appeal would work. I'd certainly contribute.

Did you by any chance pay for the TV with a credit card? If so, you have extra protection.

You only have to go to the OFT with a case that has been refunded. Then, they have to do the same with you. They cannot have a different outcome for the same set. 

I used to know a girl that worked for Mothercare at head office. Her specific job was to refuse refunds on the telephone. If she ever gave a refund, it would open the floodgates.

Halster

Go to OFT, state my case and you will get your refund 

Get EVERYTHING from JL in WRITING.

You will need a final decision by them on your case. Get them to email it to you.

Then you will have their email, I will send you my refund email. You can take both to the OFT

0 Likes