Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 02-07-2020 08:58 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Halster

Give it a couple of days.

Then ring back. Let them make an offer first. They will probably offer you the TU7100. Decline. They will then offer you vouchers.

Decline. Tell them you want monetary value.

Speak to a manager. No disrespect to front line customer service, but they can't make that decision.

Also tell them you had to pay for a 4k firestick at £50. Add that on.

Also tell them you would like a good will gesture for all the time spent on your horrendous set

Whatever you get here is pot luck, or whoever you get on the other end. 

All the best.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
Thanks mate. Ill hold off calling tomorrow and drop a line Friday or Saturday.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options

Ive been on the phone to JL all day, unfortunately there refusing to admit its a fault, and since its a software issue which i told them it wasnt, they are insisting that samsung deal with it. I spoke with a manager and he told me they same thing. They even suggested that they would pay for me to get a hdd !

They said there isnt a fault since the tv worked, but i told them i cant have have half a tv work, this was sold to me as a smart tv, so the smart side should work also, they just insisted that the tv worked.

I spoke to them for over an hour mentioning my rights under consumer law, and that this product was not fit for purpose or as described. He even agreed that this was a manufacturing fault, but again said they cant help me due to them being a software fault.

I need to know what else can be done. I will not let this go!!

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
One more thing, both the agent and manager kept on stating its a software issue and that under the warranty they dont cover that. Ive looked at my warranty and on the JL website but cant find anything in the tv warranty that states that if its a software issue that they wont be able to help.

I feel ive been completely fobbed off, and tbh was preety angry after the call
0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:
One more thing, both the agent and manager kept on stating its a software issue and that under the warranty they dont cover that. Ive looked at my warranty and on the JL website but cant find anything in the tv warranty that states that if its a software issue that they wont be able to help.

Go back through the previous pages on this forum and you will find many who bought from John Lewis who have been refunded. You can't have some shops in the same company refunding and others refusing.

Just wait for Rowley1 to see this, he was refunded by J.L. with extras thrown in.

As i understand it Hardware is the chip that allows the software to be written onto it. The hardware doesn't have enough capacity to allow the software to be written on it so it must be a hardware problem.

Unable to update (software) internal memory(hardware) is full.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

It is so so sad to hear people being run on a loop.

@monk2 wrote:

@master11 wrote:

Just rang up JL, they said they'll ask the guys who replaced the board in the first place to have a look again and if they can't do anything, JL will be looking at alternatives. 

They replaced the PCB the first time and deleted my TV manual ~100MB, and said space is available, my wife installed it again accidentally and now space is back to usual

just waiting for them to say repair is not economical anymore

Just had the same conversation with my retailer. The E-Manual is part of the original installation so memory should be available with that E-Manual available.  Said my wife uses it and was one of the reasons i purchased the set.   Told them to find another way to gain memory like remove forced Apps downloaded by Samsung.

We know that will never happen!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@halster65 wrote:

I'm not surprised you were angry. It's a disgrace the way retailers behave, even John Lewis. I got a refund from them last year after a four month struggle. You'll get there in the end by bloody minded persistence. They initially tried the same "it's a software problem and our warranty only covers hardware" BS, so it must be company policy.

The way I broke the logjam was to contact the engineers who looked at my TV and made sure they understood the real problem. I also put it in writing to them. I then got them to contact JL customer services to explain that the TV was not fit for purpose. This worked and I got a call from JL customer service fairly soon afterwards with an agreement to swap the TV for a different model or refund it.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Sent a private message to halster with my case number and resulting email evidence of the refund from John Lewis.

Obviously I am not posting it publicly

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

G'Day folks,

My story so far - 

Raised an issue with JL and they put me in touch with a local Samsung repair company INtegrated Solutions Ltd. (ISL)

ISL took away my TV for 3 days last week and said they replaced the PCB and also ran a bulletin which compresses apps to ensure more space available

Once TV is back, i see that they also deleted manual and total free space is ~230MB

My wife reinstalled manual accidentaly and after a few days free space back to ~30MB

I raised it with JL who spoke to Samsung and Samsung mentioned their engineer will be visiting me, nothing happened even after multiple calls to Samsung.

Called JL yesterday and mentioned no updates from Samsung, so they rebooked my TV with ISL, although i did say it was a waste of time and money as this is something which cant be fixed. JL said they have to follow procedure.

ISL called me and just said - "Your PCB has crashed, we'll be picking up your TV again and installing a new PCB". I said hold on, i will not allow this and asked them to send the same in writing to JL.

Called up JL and asked them to look at the email sent by ISL, they did, put me on hold and then said and "Alternate resolution team" will be calling me within the next 48 - 72 hours (this was yesterday)

Just waiting to see what happens next. 

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
That sounds promising, hope they come through with it!
Ive emailed the company that replaced my system board. Ive asked them to confirm there finding in writing. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

I will also be putting a phone call to them sometime today.
0 Likes