Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 01-07-2020 01:46 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Last year was when I was tossing up between TVs. The Philips lost out because android was poor.  The 6 series didn't have the P5 processing either

However, what a difference a year makes! 

The OS is much better thought out. Simple menus down the left leads to sections by flicking right. Play store and settings on the top.

One button on the remote gives 'frequent settings' which is incredibly handy, so you don't have to delve deep into android settings just to change picture settings, for example.

The options are massive compared to the Samsung, which frustrated me at times. Especially when I wanted to change an option, but it was greyed out.

The 4k upscaling takes some tweaking. It took me a week of changing things. But the panel of the Philips does it justice by upscaling Sky Q without any tizzing around the edges.

That annoyed me with Samsung. The options to upscale are only on the qled

All-in-all, I would never trade this set, even for a qled. Android pie tv is much better than tizen, and more in the way of options and apps

My set has 3gb ram and 16gb storage. While that is just ok for a flagship phone, it's more than enough to run your TV with no lag whatsoever

In short, a year ago I was against android as a TV platform. Now, I wouldn't choose anything else.

halster65
Pioneer
Options
So tomorrow my board gets replaced. Once tested with the engineer, and see nothing has changed, going to call JL on Thursday. Hopefully they don't insist on having it taken away for more 'repairs'

I shall update tomorrow!

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options
Hello,

Instructional Video on how people can get the model and firmware on their Samsung Smart TV. 

0 Likes
SummiJ
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Thanks for all your posts on this.

Model Number: Samsung UE43NU7020 with the same storage issue.

Spoke to Samsung who said that I would have to pay for repair and should speak to my retailer under consumer law.

Spoke to Argos and they said that I would need to get an independent inspection done on the TV (as I am out of warranty) to prove that there is an issue before they look into it further.

Asked to speak to a manger but told I would need to wait up to 72 hours for a call back.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Okay my latest update.  55NU7093 purchased in Greece.  22/04/2019

Just spoken to E-Shop who have had my TV a little over a week, had a bit of a heated conversation.  Samsungs own enginer had it a week prior to this but was getting nowhere.

I have been phoning/emailing  asking for an update since Friday, they keep saying the engineer will ring back..He never has!!

This guy told me they have not even looked at the set yet, he is aware of all the emails i have sent regarding the situation with this set.

I have told him i want a conclusion for this in one weeks time either repair or refund, just followed it up with an email.

Consumer law very similar to UK but no Trading Standards to enforce it. Also contacting my UK credit Card again to let them know the situation is still unresolved.

August is approaching and everyone is off for the month, absolutely nothing gets done.

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
So engineer has come and gone...replaced system board, made no difference as we all know. He said the tv was not fit for purpose with that amount of storage...will he calling JL shortly!
monk2
Pathfinder
Options
Great news another tick in the box for us all!!
master11
Explorer
Options

Just rang up JL, they said they'll ask the guys who replaced the board in the first place to have a look again and if they can't do anything, JL will be looking at alternatives. 

They replaced the PCB the first time and deleted my TV manual ~100MB, and said space is available, my wife installed it again accidentally and now space is back to usual

just waiting for them to say repair is not economical anymore

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@master11 wrote:

Just rang up JL, they said they'll ask the guys who replaced the board in the first place to have a look again and if they can't do anything, JL will be looking at alternatives. 

They replaced the PCB the first time and deleted my TV manual ~100MB, and said space is available, my wife installed it again accidentally and now space is back to usual

just waiting for them to say repair is not economical anymore

Just had the same conversation with my retailer. The E-Manual is part of the original installation so memory should be available with that E-Manual available.  Said my wife uses it and was one of the reasons i purchased the set.   Told them to find another way to gain memory like remove forced Apps downloaded by Samsung.

We know that will never happen!

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
I managed to get through after 1hr 20mins!

They need to wait for the engineers report as he hasn't got back yet, so said to call back tomorrow.

0 Likes