Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 25-06-2020 11:57 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

They can only give you vouchers for "good will". I refused.

Stand your ground and get your refund paid into your bank. The tu7100 is an inferior spec set' to yours. You would like to take your business elsewhere. 

As you have lost money on your TV, even though it was well documented, it was never your fault but a manufacturing one

State that it's not their fault, but Samsung's.

Don't be fobbed off by what a retailer offers. It's only in their best interests.

State my claim on this one with JL. It's documented in these forums that I got my refund paid into my bank. Plus a firestick reimbursement AND a good will gesture payment.

Stand your ground. It's an initial offer, not a final one.

I told John Lewis I would fight for other purchasers of this set. And I will

Keep me informed

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

monk2

Forget about Samsung and concentrate on your refund. Samsung will never admit to anything. It's pointless and wasted energy.

As for the forced apps, on my Philips I have a few on their. But because it's android TV, I can get rid of them.

Never again will I buy a device that locks me in

0 Likes
Mitrekab
Pioneer
Options

And those with the frame with the added anoyance you pay for the art mode but cant install the art as the memory is stolen by Disney Apple etc.

0 Likes
Mitrekab
Pioneer
Options

I asked Which, if they could take a look too. They are always recomending Samsung TVs

@monk2 wrote:

I have just posted on a UK  consumer website asking the question about our probelm. Already getting comments.

This site is well respected in the UK and the guy who fronts it has helped many people over the years, if we get enough posts on his site i'm sure it will be brought to his attention. Please click the link below into your browser you will have to sign up to the site but i think this could be a game changer.  Once on the page and signed in you will be able to add your posts. I signed up from Greece so all of us will be able too.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77208656#Comment_77208656

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Samsung are selling defective TVs. Hear what Apple has you say about defective products and be the judge...

#samsungtv, #smarttv, #faultyElectronics

https://youtu.be/ILggxdFqafc

Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

It's not a defective set

Under consumer law it is a product not fitting of it's description. i.e. Smart TV

Fight for your rights on the latter only.

0 Likes
master11
Explorer
Options

The engineer returned the TV set yesterday and said they installed a new motherboard and also ran some bulletin, he showed me that there was 28% (235MB) free space. He mentioned that thats it and it has been fixed, they did the same for a few others and havent heard back.

I checked today and saw that he deleted the Manual (~100MB) and also that the TV software update has been disabled. I am not happy, called back John Lewis today and said i am not happy given that i wanted the manual for something and that disabling TV firmware update is not advisable as it left my TV open to security vulnerabilities. I did mention Mr. Rowleys name, JL said they try to reach the TV repair firm and call me back.

Waiting guys, will keep you posted.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Personally, I would connect it to the internet to update. Just to see how much space you have left after updates from Samsung.

Not being able to update means Samsung cannot update the forced apps. This will render them useless over time and you will not get new app features.

Don't give in with John Lewis. They know about this set, as do engineers.

Don't settle for anything less than a refund. 

They will ask you what you want. Decline. Let them make the first offer and go from there.

The minimum you will get is £599 from the 'equivalent' set from Samsung's new range.

Tell them you shouldn't have had to spend this amount of time on this set and they will offer you a good will gesture on top.

Take it and buy a better set. There's plenty out there now

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

Personally, I would connect it to the internet to update. Just to see how much space you have left after updates from Samsung.

Not being able to update means Samsung cannot update the forced apps. This will render them useless over time and you will not get new app features.

Don't give in with John Lewis. They know about this set, as do engineers.

Don't settle for anything less than a refund. 

They will ask you what you want. Decline. Let them make the first offer and go from there.

The minimum you will get is £599 from the 'equivalent' set from Samsung's new range.

Tell them you shouldn't have had to spend this amount of time on this set and they will offer you a good will gesture on top.

Take it and buy a better set. There's plenty out there now

Hi Simon.

Please what is the 'equivalent' set from Samsung's new range. I paid much less than this for my TV  as it was end of stock last years model. NU7093 55" Would your position still hold?

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@master11 wrote:

The engineer returned the TV set yesterday and said they installed a new motherboard and also ran some bulletin, he showed me that there was 28% (235MB) free space. He mentioned that thats it and it has been fixed, they did the same for a few others and havent heard back.

I checked today and saw that he deleted the Manual (~100MB) and also that the TV software update has been disabled. I am not happy, called back John Lewis today and said i am not happy given that i wanted the manual for something and that disabling TV firmware update is not advisable as it left my TV open to security vulnerabilities. I did mention Mr. Rowleys name, JL said they try to reach the TV repair firm and call me back.

Waiting guys, will keep you posted.

Turning off updates as Rowley says will put your TV into limbo, no security updates either which Samsung say are very important. Also tell them if they want to make more memory available,  remove forced Apps you don't want.

0 Likes