Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16-06-2020 09:32 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Are Samsung NU7xxx sold in the USA?

These TVs have a defect that they cannot be updated with functionality and security patches.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
It seems that they are worldwide, but not confirmed. On here, people from Vietnam and Greece, to name a couple, have the same problem.
I am stating UK consumer law. Consumer laws in other countries vary.
If you have an Office of Fair Trading equivalent in your country, for the sake of a phone call it will be beneficial to contact them.

It took me 3 weeks to sort my debacle out with my retailer. But now I have a refund and a different set from a different retailer.
Don't give in and make do with an inferior set for the money.
0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options
The Which?  article below is about consumers who are no longer receive device updates AFTER warranty.

Samsung Clients are worse off because these defective TVs are still being sold and many are under warranty. These NU7xxx smart TVs cannot install Samsung-issued security patches. Which? Consumer Electronics

0 Likes
PaulPyro
Journeyman
Options

See the thing with my TV, I only noticed a couple of weeks ago that the internal story was full and had no way to delete this. I contacted samsung and was advised they are looking into it! However can see others that have done the same and Samsung continue to do nothing. 

Don't get me wrong, it needs to be sorted and if you are lucky enough to get a refund, get one. But mine was bought last year and don't think I've got anyway of having this returned. Apart from this annoying issue, the TV seems ok. 

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

I bought mine in march 2019. Samsung fobbed me off. I am a hardware guy and told Samsung that no software or resets could possibly give me more storage unless I d could have the option to delete tizen apps.

They would not do this as they get monthly payments from the apps to have them on the TV.

Emailing consumer rights told me, under EU legislation, that the retailer is responsible for your purchase, if it is not as described.

UK law maybe different to EU on consumer rights, but having an 'expert' telling you to reset is not enough.

The TV is described as a 'Smart tv'. I told my retailer to Google the definition of a smart TV.

Under UK, and maybe EU law, the set is not sold as described. Meaning you are entitled to a refund.

In chribonn's case, Amazon must send out a Samsung Accredited engineer to resolve the problem. When they can't do it, Amazon should give you a refund. If they don't, contact consumer rights organisations. If you can't do it yourself, they will take your case on for you

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Following my emails to Samsung over the last few weeks  Samsung Greece. just phoned me.

The guy wanted to talk me through deleting the E- Manual from the set, this didn't work so they are sending an engineer.

He said doing this and  fitting a USB stick into the only port i have on the set will give sufficient memory for updates and any Apps i wish to download. I told him about this site and the problems and various remedies that have been suggested that don't work. He seemed insistent so will let the guy do his best at least then i have someone here to ask questions.

Only hope he speaks English, even after being here a while now very easy to be fobbed off if he reverts to Greek, it's not an easy language to learn.

Yes i was surprised consumer law differed throughout Europe, i always thought that was the idea of the whole thing.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options
I am the first to admit i am not technically minded so any advice on questions i should ask the engineer when he comes would be welcome.
0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Don't ask him questions. Just nod at everything he tries to do. Then he'll figure out there's nothing he can do. Unless he has a soldering iron and larger capacity chips with him (that won't fit anyway)

Like Tony47, I tried a USB. You can't move Tizen apps to it to free space up
If he wants to change the motherboard. Let him. Then connect to the internet and wacth your free space drip down the toilet.
Then let him take it away if necessary. My engineer phoned me that he'd taken the Tizen apps off, but while he was on the phone I told him to connect to the internet. He let out a big sigh when all his hard work was undone, when all the Tizen apps started downloading again

One point you do have to know. Even if they delete / factory reset apps, the order for the TV is to dopwnload apps first and then if there is an update ..... it is last on the list.

You will never get chance to update your TV again. My engineer said that to me. 
Any following updates will need to install that 190MB update first.

Tell your engineer there is no software on this planet that can make it right .... but there are a lot of hackers out there waiting to pounce on Samsung TVs

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Simon thank you for the information. 

I forgot to say that i had emailed the CEO of Samsung again a couple of days ago for the second time asking when i would be getting my phone call from them. I think possibly that prompted them contacting me yesterday afternoon.

Around 20-30 last night i had a call from the engineer, he asked if he could come and look at the TV that night so at 21-30 he arrived.  Not a word of English but we managed to communicate okay, I showed him the lack of memory available i think it was 5%  he never even tried to delete the E-Manual just took the TV off the wall put it into his van and said i would have a report within 3-5 working days.  He said he has to follow procedure so tomorrow afternoon i will ring him and post any information.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Perfect.

Don't phone tomorrow. Give them 5 days to try to fix it.

I had a 5 year warranty with my retailer. I was not prepared to call out an engineer every 3 months to try and force an update that was too big for the storage. Especially for another 4 years and they might have to take my TV away every time.

I hope you got a receipt from him for taking it away. Always get everything in writing. Phone calls are no good

0 Likes