Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 09:10 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
Won't be anything to do with your nas set up. You will have lost space due to new force apps like Disney+ and Apple TV just to name 2.
In other words, they can fill your storage as much as they like. You have no choice.
Because there won't be space for a new update, your TV will become a security risk on your home network. Samsung TVs are notoriously easy to hack. If you want to scare yourself, do a quick Google.

Because of the lack of storage, it is wrongly described as a Smart TV. You are eligible for a refund.
0 Likes
Scottyboy99
Journeyman
Options
Ok thanks for the info. I hadn’t checked my free space for a few days but I was at 200 mb+ and now barely over 60. The only thing I’ve done is test out the DLNA in recent days which is why I think it’s that. I already had Disney and Apple TV installed before the drop in storage. The sum of all the apps and storage they are using (including reported cache) falls well below the 750 mb I am supposed to of used.
0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
Firstly, check to see if you TV needs an update in the settings.
If it does, and you don't have enough space, call your retailer.
Follow everything they say about having engineers look at it. Even let them take it away.
Call your retailer after they have worked on it for a replacement set / refund.

If you refuse to let the engineers take your set, they win. This is because it's their terms and conditions.
If they refuse a replacement / refund then the retailer is breaking the consumer law.
0 Likes
Scottyboy99
Journeyman
Options

I guess in light of this and disappearing storage issue that the smart app functions will likely cease working at some point in the future. If the apps like Netflix cannot receive updates and the OS cannot update then as mentioned there will be security issues and there will be a point that old versions will not be supported. 

this is a disgrace that one cannot effectively see what is eating into their storage and clean it out. I cannot account for where 140mb has gone in a matter of days. Downloaded no new apps and no app is showing inflated cache in the storage section. So it's basically vanished into thin air. Likely orphaned data likely never to be returned again.

i think I'll just get a cheap fire stick for smart apps instead. Wish I'd bought the JVC fire tv edition now instead. 

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

As I stated, by law your retailer will issue you a refund / part refund.

Don't put up with a sub-standard TV that was sold under the false pretence of a 'smart tv' by its definition

If you do a factory reset, dont connect to the internet. When the TV restores go straight to the apps and settings icon to see your storage. 

Then connect to the internet and watch the countdown to doom as your storage disappears. For no real reason. 

My board was replaced and we watched it go from 116mb free, down and down to 34mb until it settled.

Last year, from new it was 96mb when settled. I lost 60mb over a year by not but adding anything.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

As I stated, by law your retailer will issue you a refund / part refund.

Don't put up with a sub-standard TV that was sold under the false pretence of a 'smart tv' by its definition

If you do a factory reset, dont connect to the internet. When the TV restores go straight to the apps and settings icon to see your storage. 

Then connect to the internet and watch the countdown to doom as your storage disappears. For no real reason. 

My board was replaced and we watched it go from 116mb free, down and down to 34mb until it settled.

Last year, from new it was 96mb when settled. I lost 60mb over a year by not but adding anything.

Rowley.

Thanks for still posting even though your refund has been made.

As for others who have joined and feel it's to much trouble to take Samsung on. Look at Rowleys achievement in getting a  refund. To be honest he has done the hard work for UK buyers.

Everyone of us who gets a refund makes it easier for all of us to achieve the same thing from other countries where consumer right don't seem to matter.

0 Likes
Dbuk44
Apprentice
Options

Second that. Only joined expressly for the purpose of saying thankyou .

im only at step one - which is letting JL attempt a repair next week.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Thank you for the update.

I think may are realising that all attempts by anyone other than Samsung will never solve the prob lem.  This is not a flickering  screen that can be amended by replacing a componenet.  It is a flawed core design.

We need to spread the word and a few or us are endevouring to organise everyone towards this goal.  Register in as many of the online groups as possible so that all of us can coordinate our efforts.

Individually Samsung will do nothing together we can get the behemoth to do what is right by us.

Stay tuned!!

0 Likes
Scottyboy99
Journeyman
Options

Can I just ask, for those who show 0 mb storage as left. Does this cause problems actually using any pre installed apps such as Netflix or Disney? Presume the apps cannot cache anything so wondered if they refuse to work properly at that point

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

I never let it get that far.

As soon as the motherboard was replaced and it dropped to 30mb on a fresh install, that was it for me.

My new Philips 65PUS8204 came today. HDR 10 and Dolby Vision blow the Samsung out of the water.

You can edit everything to your own taste

Add to that I have 10.8gb of storage free.

Also I can add everything from Google play store. Including an antivirus