Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 08:46 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

It has been one week since i complained again to Samsung escalation team about the very poor comunication with chat online I  still have not had a reply.

It has been two weeks since @Rowley1 said he was two hours away from the engineer coming to fit a new board and he has not posted since.

Rowley hope you are okay??

0 Likes
PaulPyro
Journeyman
Options

@chribonn wrote:
I hope to have a video of the solution completed over the weekend. This will address those repeated requests to go reset the TV and other time wasters we have heard so much about many times over.

Sounds like a step in the right direction as Samsung clearly can't be arsed to do anything about it!

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

ALL JOHN LEWIS CUSTOMERS

OK All, I am back to update you on my situation.
The engineers replaced the motherboard, but as stated, it will be another NU7xxx board. The PQI index of each panel denotes that any other boards are incompatable.

Last week, they took my TV away to see what they could do. 9 days later and it is being described as 'Beyond economic repair'.
Couldn't get through on the phone to John Lewis, but did the Whatsapp.
Bear in mind that I paid £679 last year on a price match.
The first offer was for a £599 replacement 65TU7000. I was told that I had 15 months use of the TV and storage 'is not a wholly contemplated part of the specification'

Description in consumer law state that if the description does not match the item, it is deemed wrongly sold to a customer (there are fancier words, but I'll keep it in lamens terms). So a Smart TV or Phone is denoted by the ability to update and install apps from the Operating system's app store or marketplace. 

I declined the offer over WhatsApp and got on the phone

Here is where it gets really interesting. I call John Lewis (another hour on the phone in a queue).

This is where I have been media blacked out. I couldn't talk because I would not harm my chances of a replacement set / refund. 
I declined the lesser TV as a replacement.
With the 'manager' I was then offered the £599, plus the price of my firestick (£50) plus £80 'Good Will'.
Total of £729
Paid into my bank this afternoon

IN SHORT
Do everything John Lewis ask you to do. Even take your set away.

Tell them you bought a £50 firestick as well to put apps on. 
You will get a refund. It IS the law. And you have EVERY right to get your money / most of your money back

If you get a good will gesture payment, good luck

JOHN LEWIS PHONE NUMBER

Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

I have since just purchased the 65PUS8204 from Currys for £649
Android Pie, 3GB ram 16GB storage. So sluggishness and storage are now not a problem
PQI is the same as the Samsung (1900) HDR 10, HDR10+, HLG and it has Dolby Vision with the P5 engine

Wife is happy because of the Ambilight

The Samsung TU range only has 2 HDMI and 1 USB port. Kind of a backward step. Never trust them again

If anyone needs advice on a replacement / refund, give me a shout

If anyone wants to buy a Samsung Smart remote and a standard remote, give me a shout. HAHA

halster65
Pioneer
Options

I have the 50inch 7400 bought last February, i have been getting the memory issue for some time now, i am going to raise a fault call with John Lewis today.  Ive messaged them via whatsapp, lets let the ball rolling! 

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options
@Rowley1
Pleased to read all has gone well with your refund. fully understand you going quiet until refund given.
Appears the 65PUS8204 is a Philips model.
0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

@halster65 wrote:

I have the 50inch 7400 bought last February, i have been getting the memory issue for some time now, i am going to raise a fault call with John Lewis today.  Ive messaged them via whatsapp, lets let the ball rolling! 

Mention me by name.

Simon Rowley

I told them about this forum and I would tell everyone else

They had the chance to do an NDA, but they decided against it

And yes, it is a Philips. Couldn't choose between the Sony or the Philips. On reflection, the P5 engine wins. Dolby vision and Atmos. HLG, proper HDR 10 and 10+

Both have pure android and to be honest, our Samsung's had only half those features. It wasn't even a full HDR 10 panel. It was only 8+2.

Looking back, even only last year, the spec of this TV was appalling for the money.

This is not just for John Lewis. If you are under warranty in the UK, you are ELIGLIBLE for a replacement set or refund / part refund.

This is CONSUMER LAW in the UK.

Forget Samsung. They will do nothing and let your retailer battle it out with them. Don't waste your breath

0 Likes
halster65
Pioneer
Options
I explained what the issue was, and was asked if i had spoken with samsung and what they advised. At the end they said there going to pick up the tv next Wednesday and take it for 'repair'

Heres to next Wednesday...

(

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options
Let them take it. Do everything that they want you to do.
Do not let them bring it back if the problem is still persisting / they haven't upgraded the storage. Which they can't.
Call up the engineers after 5 days, asking their findings, and THEN call John Lewis.
One advisor at John Lewis said to me "Storage is not a wholly contemplated part of the specification as it does not affect the ability for the TV to be used as a TV". That was verbatim, including the omission of any punctuation.
The problem is, even the John Lewis' description on your order, it was a 'Samsung Smart TV'.
Look up on Google the definition of a Smart TV. This is where you win your case.

According to that advisor then, if you buy a car and it has no engine, it's STILL a car. Some people just do not know consumer law .... even in retail.
Scottyboy99
Journeyman
Options

Hi all, I don't think this issue is specific to NU models. I have a RU7020 and I've only got approx 800 mb available storage of which I only have about 65 mb left. So if there was a firmware update available then imagine i would run into same problem.

i was at about 200 mb free but that suddenly dropped to around 65 mb out of nowhere.  Not sure what is suddenly taking up a load of space. It's almost as if storage space has been orphaned. I have a couple NAS drives with DLNA. I was testing these out on the tv and whilst I can't be certain I reckon these are something to with the sudden lost space. Trouble is there is no DLNA app to check and / or release space. I don't know if it will mysteriously come back to me at some point.

anyway I just wanted to let you guys this appears to be a big problem on RU models too. At least it is on RU7020

i share everyone's frustration. How Samsung believe it is ok to create a modern smart tv with less than 1 gb of storage is beyond me. It should of been 8 gb minimum. Obviously cutting corners and costs. If there was more storage then these compulsory apps would not be such a huge problem 

thanks

Wayne

0 Likes