Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-05-2020 02:05 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
georgeK1
Pioneer
Options

Guys, I have some news. The Samsung tech guy just came to my home in order to apply a new "fix instruction" from Samsung. The fix is to permanently remove e-Manual which consumes around 90mb. So, if you already had like 100mb left, now you have 190mb in total. The remove made in a way that eManual app wont return in a factory reset. I am not sure about new firmware. My guess, and Samsung tech said that as well, is that Samsung will remove eManual from the future firmware updates. So we have like 200mb for internal app updates and use of external USB stick for other apps.

That way they "fix" the problem without replacing the model with another one.

But I still disagree and I believe that 190mb is not enough and eventually in a few months we will be in the total zero.

UPDATE: I forgot to say that Samsung asked the guy to take photos and report everything. So my guess here is that they want to make some tests on my TV in order to apply to official firmware that will be released in a few days that totally removes eManual from all 2018 7xxxx TVs around the world. He was taking picture of everything, before, after, hidden menus etc. 

HHLONG
Explorer
Options
it not change the fact our TV still got only 800MB, and for me, that not acceptable.
0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Various of us removed the manual already , long ago. It's a temporary solution only, since the extra space can get eaten up, too, like the rest.

PS, OTA firmware updates have never restored the manual ( if it was removed ).

The only way to restore the manual is doing an update from usb.

monk2
Pathfinder
Options

Georgek1

As you and others have said i doubt if this manual being removed will be enough.

But go with it and please let us know the outcome.

Don't suppose Samsung will stop adding forced Apps to our TV.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Update on my situation:

Samsung accredited engineers have called to install 'a new motherboard' on Thursday.

No mention of the part number, or what set it is relevant to. But Thursday is D-day for Samsung and John Lewis

And, no, deleting the e-manual is what I call 'papering over the cracks'

This TV is not fit for purpose in its current state.

0 Likes
georgeK1
Pioneer
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

Update on my situation:

Samsung accredited engineers have called to install 'a new motherboard' on Thursday.

No mention of the part number, or what set it is relevant to. But Thursday is D-day for Samsung and John Lewis

Waste of time. I did it and many other users here. Storage will remain the same.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

@georgeK1 wrote:

@Rowley1 wrote:

Update on my situation:

Waste of time. I did it and many other users here. Storage will remain the same.

On the contrary. This is for the many John Lewis buyers and their 5 year warranties. My outcome will pave the way for those customers. UK law lays the onus on the retailer, not the manufacturer

chribonn
Pioneer
Options
There have been many discussions on how to "fix" these flawed TVs and none of them work. In my opinion Samsung are confounding the issue to muddy the water.

Essentially the available memory on the TVs is not sufficient to contain the patch. Part of the problem is because Samsung has deals with certain companies to hardcode their apps on their TVs. These hard-coded apps take up storage space that would have otherwise been used for the security patch.

No amount of rebooting and resetting and rejuggling is going to make the problem go away.

Samsung take responsibility for your flawed design.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

@georgeK1 wrote:

@Rowley1 wrote:

Update on my situation:

Can you report the TV Firmware version and how much space you have available please?

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@chribonn wrote:

@georgeK1 wrote:

@Rowley1 wrote:

Update on my situation:

Can you report the TV Firmware version and how much space you have available please?

Am i right in thinking that the factory reset allows the most recent update to be installed along with whatever Apps Samsung force or does it install the Apps first to the detriment of the latest firmware.

Below quote from Samsung regarding security.

RIDGEFIELD PARK, NJ – June 15, 2018 – At Samsung, we understand how critically important privacy is and will continue to be for our customers. This is why, in 2018, we are working to provide consumers with new and innovative devices that take the home entertainment experience to the next level. While our Smart TVs deliver the great benefits of staying connected, our Privacy and Security teams are working hard to help provide a secure experience for everyone using a Samsung TV.

In an effort to bolster the security of our devices, we are now introducing new security features designed to create a safer online experience with key security enhancements – from browsing the internet on Smart TVs, protecting information users share on websites, and remotely controlling the Smart TV with a mobile device.

0 Likes