Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 20-05-2020 09:33 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
HHLONG
Explorer
Options

VietNam

43NU7400

FW: 1294

btw, samsung call me again today, same talk, same "design" thing, and promise to call back for more info. I sure now I dont want to buy anything from samsung again

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options
I agree not worth paying a premium price for a non-premium service
0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@georgeK1 wrote:

@monk2 wrote:

Spoke to the shop who i bought my TV from again and i was put through to the Tech. department.

They seem to be aware of this problem but wouldn't confirm it is a design fault.

All he would say is if you get the internal storage full message again after next update to ring them again.

He gave me the impression he was expecting Samsung to stop updating the NU7000 series.

I asked if they would be able to remove some of these pre installed apps if we have  no more updates, he said Samsung contractually obliged to keep them on the TV.

that not possible as the internal apps like Netflix, Youtube etc will always update in the future. Samsung cant stop them.

georgek1.
Thanks for confirming what i was told yesterday. If this is the case and updates not being installed . What about security? I thought Apps and updates could only be added to internal memory. So we are supposed to take this just to save Samsung money.
0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options
From reading about this topic I get that these canned responses by tech responses originates from Samsung and not the vendors themselves.
0 Likes
semihkekul
First Poster
Options

Are they really that stupid? Do not let me delete apps, but update needs more storage! what the hell!!

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

@semihkekul wrote:

Are they really that stupid? Do not let me delete apps, but update needs more storage! what the hell!!

I feel for you.  Just understand that Samsung makes millions from these agreements. All this extra cash comes at the expense of consumers such as you and me. What sucks is that they consider this revenue stream more important our ability to upgrade our TVs.

Makes you think whether corporate clients are treated better than individuals

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

Listen carefully.

If you bought the TV in Europe, EU law states that the vendor is responsible for a product that is 'not fit for purpose'.

If you spent £700 on a new phone that could only install one app and couldn't update, it falls into this category.

With John Lewis, I explained this situation and wanted it rectified, or replaced. If not, I had already enquired with the office of fair trading. I am ready to pull the pin on this if it is not rectified.

John Lewis has now taken this on the chin and aim to give me an updated (RU7xxx) board.

If the office of fair trading get involved, they will aim to get every single nu7xxx TV repaired that JL has sold. Or JL has to replace it with a 'similar or higher spec product'.

Take it up with your vendor.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

Listen carefully.

If you bought the TV in Europe, EU law states that the vendor is responsible for a product that is 'not fit for purpose'.

If you spent £700 on a new phone that could only install one app and couldn't update, it falls into this category.

With John Lewis, I explained this situation and wanted it rectified, or replaced. If not, I had already enquired with the office of fair trading. I am ready to pull the pin on this if it is not rectified.

John Lewis has now taken this on the chin and aim to give me an updated (RU7xxx) board.

If the office of fair trading get involved, they will aim to get every single nu7xxx TV repaired that JL has sold. Or JL has to replace it with a 'similar or higher spec product'.

Take it up with your vendor.

Quite right, and just to confirm that JL gave me a full refund on my NU7500 last year, so a precedent has been set.

0 Likes
chribonn
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought mine in Italy so I would be covered under EU.  Can you please share your experience after the motherboard upgrade?.  Personally I would like to make sure that this motherboard change will resolve the matter. 

I must admit that I don't recall anyone posting that they have resolved this issue and getting a mobo changed with no improvement is something I would like to avoid.

0 Likes
monk2
Pathfinder
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

Well I couldn't be happier.

Two engineers came in and assessed my tv. They took the serial number, model and tapped away in a tablet.

I showed them the storage (I have 40mb on a factory reset) and they told me the following.

I have to have a new mainboard with upgraded storage.  I will hear back within 5 days and they will fit the board in my home.

If you bought your set from John Lewis, they WILL get an engineer to fix it. If not JL will replace to the RU series 7

Rowley1.

This motherboard replacement sounds very much the Samsung line throughout. Please get back to us when this has been done and let us know the outcome. I have contacted E-Shop , who i bought the TV from for a comment.

They say an engineer will call me!

0 Likes