Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 03:01 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It can't be done I'm afraid. My understanding is that Samsung charge 'rent' for the permanently installed apps to be on their platform, so if they could be easily deleted it wouldn't work commercially. The only pre-installed app that can be permanently deleted is the manual, but judging from recent posts here, it's a big faff and doesn't always work.

0 Likes
billyb_834652
Explorer
Options
Samsung have been promising a 'software fix' via firmware update since 2018. Luckily we all seen through the BS at the time and continued to push for a refund. I was lucky enough to get a hassle-free refund from Amazon back in April 2019 but I remain subscribed to this thread. Really sorry to see that Samsung are still betraying their customers and lying through their back teeth about a software fix for what is clearly a hardware problem. Sure, they could make the problem less so by allowing customers to delete their bloatware but then they gonna lose that rent money... Crooks!
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@billyb_834652 wrote:
Samsung have been promising a 'software fix' via firmware update since 2018. Luckily we all seen through the BS at the time and continued to push for a refund. I was lucky enough to get a hassle-free refund from Amazon back in April 2019 but I remain subscribed to this thread. Really sorry to see that Samsung are still betraying their customers and lying through their back teeth about a software fix for what is clearly a hardware problem. Sure, they could make the problem less so by allowing customers to delete their bloatware but then they gonna lose that rent money... Crooks!

Hi again :smiling-face: I'm still subscribed too. What's particularly galling is that judging by the new posts here, this NU range is still on sale, or has been until recently, when the replacement range (RU) that had sufficient storage has been out for nearly a year.

Samsung are obviously trying to offload old stock that they know is defective.

0 Likes
Garyt83
Journeyman
Options

Sadly, when looking for a new TV at first glance the NU was very similar specs to the RU range but obviously cheaper.

As the TV was initially for my mother the cheaper option was preferred (She is on low income). Regretting that now.

Banjoman
Explorer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@billyb_834652 wrote:

Hi again :smiling-face: I'm still subscribed too. What's particularly galling is that judging by the new posts here, this NU range is still on sale, or has been until recently, when the replacement range (RU) that had sufficient storage has been out for nearly a year.

Samsung are obviously trying to offload old stock that they know is defective.

Also an old subscriber who luckily  got a refund.

Interesting you mention the RU series - I went for this, and it's a great TV but still has its own (less fatal) stupid flaw, unlike the older models (and newer ones) it has no 5ghz WiFi.

So what I've learned - and the reason I stay subscribed - is that both product quality and aftersales seem to be lacking with Samsung, and this will help inform future purchases as I'm sure for everyone on this thread. 

Marks5
First Poster
Options

SamsungUE65NU7400 owner.

Also having storage problems, go to setting and it states I have the latest updates installed, on clicking on Apps at the botton of the screen I keep getting a error message about no stogage and to delete apps, I have one app installed, Now TV,  I error message.jpgphoned tech support at John Lewis yesterday and the talked me through a reset (Already tried that), after about 15 minutes of resetting the TV, same pop up no storage, J L said I can get a engineer visit after lockdown, don't think it will be solved by that reading this thread.

0 Likes
Rowley1
Pathfinder
Options

I have lodged it with the Office of Fair Trading now.
Telling them that the TV is sold on a false premise. It is not what is considered as a smart TV. The description of their huge app store is pointless if you cannot install them. Now the oversized update is also pointless as enough storage cannot be freed up by the consumer.

Nothing can be fixed in this TV unless one of 2 options:

1. Samsung remotely deletes apps for the nu series (won't happen)

2. They send out engineers with new boards containing greater storage (won't happen)

0 Likes
Garyt83
Journeyman
Options

@Rowley1 wrote:

I have lodged it with the Office of Fair Trading now.
Telling them that the TV is sold on a false premise. It is not what is considered as a smart TV. The description of their huge app store is pointless if you cannot install them. Now the oversized update is also pointless as enough storage cannot be freed up by the consumer.

Nothing can be fixed in this TV unless one of 2 options:

1. Samsung remotely deletes apps for the nu series (won't happen)

2. They send out engineers with new boards containing greater storage (won't happen)

If you have a reference for this and it is in the UK please do share and I can lodge a complaint with them also.

0 Likes
Willemste
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue now. Only started after the last firmware update. Could you please forward the reference too me as well so that I can lodge a complaint as well.

0 Likes
confiado
First Poster
Options

Good evening. Same here. It's a shame how samsung treat us. Is the last firmware fix somehow free space on UE65NU7400 ? I am afraid to install it. Is it safe to use usb with such small amount of free space? Never tryed that before on TV. All early updates magicaly fit somehow by air.

Thanks so much for that solution with develope mode and deleting e-manual. Just deleted it with out even reset of smart hub, also droped off all preinstalled apps. It's 18 in Russia with out even youtube, including browser. Can you imagine? Than power off tv and turn it on again. The preinstalled apps not appear, but they automatically installs after reboot. But what if just power off and on? Will that work? As well after remove of all the apps I have something like ~260 mb of free space with installed steam link, plex and emby. Will the firmware upgrade fit now? Or it may cause not enough space issue after tv reboot?

Also I heared about Tizen studio, it allows you develope the apps and install derectly on your tv. Maybe is there a solution ged rid of preinstalled garbage forever?

0 Likes