Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 24-03-2020 05:19 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

Installed the new update. Storage went from 3% free to 5% free. No other obvious differences. Disney+ installed itself and can't be deleted. 

danmeg
Explorer
Options
Hi! If anybody from Samsung is listening, the quickest fix would be to deploy a small update to reduce the size of the emanual. the emanual app is almost 100mb in size, in comparison with all other apps being less than 5mb. I don't think anybody would care about the stock apps if they could just install updates!
0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

You need to do hard reset after you install new upgrade as been described before. After that memory will go up to 20% free. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Really? Can anyone else verify that, particularly if any freed up space remains free after using the TV for a while? I find 20% hard to believe.

0 Likes
danmeg
Explorer
Options

The update did free up extra space for me. The hard reset took it all away again!

bramely
Explorer
Options

Yes mine did. First I updated, memory went from 0%available to 5%. Then did a hard reset (with pressing power button down etc) and ot went to 17%

See before and after hard reset. 

IMG_20200303_200342.jpg

IMG_20200302_234737.jpg

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Really? Can anyone else verify that, particularly if any freed up space remains free after using the TV for a while? I find 20% hard to believe.

Mines currently at 19% on my 55" TV, after Plex and Emby has been installed.

0 Likes
danmeg
Explorer
Options

I went from 10% (pre update), to 17% (post update), to 7% (after a hard reset). 

I have two extra apps - Now TV and BritBox - neither have particularly impacted.

I have noticed that the eManual is the largest app (on the "Delete to create space" dialogue its listed as being above 90mb) so if Samsung could find a way to reduce the file size of that it would be grand.

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options

It looks like they released another uodate on 24th of March.

Software 1294.1 anyone knows the difference between this one and the first fix came out which was 1292.3? It is worth updating again? I currently have 17% free

0 Likes
danmeg
Explorer
Options

I updated this morning via USB (my only option... Not enough space for an OTA update, surprisingly!)... The update freed a bit of space, but a hard reset took it away again!

(I've checked, and post hard reset I'm still on 1294.1.)

0 Likes