Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-02-2020 10:16 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@Grandapa_Arf wrote:

I had my motherboard replaced on my 7400 only 6 weeks ago, it was then on 5% free upon the engineer installing it. however, that has now dropped down to 1% (11mb).

A new anomaly has started happening... the Smart hub has been resetting itself. Resetting all freesat channels and removing apps.

I've now spoken to tech support and expalined the issie with the new motherboard, I also explained that the UK tech support engineers told me thats normal and to use a USB, so they've now asked me to send them photos of the memory and error messages, even though my TV is now out of warranty. ...So all is not lost, they still want to investigate this.

i'll keep you all updated.

Please for the love of god, don't accept the position that it's normal. Its utted incompetence on Samsungs part to beleive that to be the case. The fact is as has been said many times before it's a design flaw. 

I'm absolutely infuriated at the utter impudence of Samsung support in trying to tell people that it's normal. It's like selling a car with a 5L tank to store fuel instead of a 40L tank and telling people, nah it's normal to have that much storage. What they are doing is selling short term fixes in the hope that it will be dragged out long enough that it lessens the impact to them.

I know exactly what their game is, I see it in other areas I work in.

Utter utter garbage.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Vengeance72 wrote:

@Grandapa_Arf wrote:

I had my motherboard replaced on my 7400 only 6 weeks ago, it was then on 5% free upon the engineer installing it. however, that has now dropped down to 1% (11mb).

A new anomaly has started happening... the Smart hub has been resetting itself. Resetting all freesat channels and removing apps.

I've now spoken to tech support and expalined the issie with the new motherboard, I also explained that the UK tech support engineers told me thats normal and to use a USB, so they've now asked me to send them photos of the memory and error messages, even though my TV is now out of warranty. ...So all is not lost, they still want to investigate this.

i'll keep you all updated.

Please for the love of god, don't accept the position that it's normal. Its utted incompetence on Samsungs part to beleive that to be the case. The fact is as has been said many times before it's a design flaw. 

I'm absolutely infuriated at the utter impudence of Samsung support in trying to tell people that it's normal. It's like selling a car with a 5L tank to store fuel instead of a 40L tank and telling people, nah it's normal to have that much storage. What they are doing is selling short term fixes in the hope that it will be dragged out long enough that it lessens the impact to them.

I know exactly what their game is, I see it in other areas I work in.

Utter utter garbage.

That's a good way of putting it! And it also infuriates me that Samsung engineers are still trotting out the lie about using a USB drive to solve the problem. 

It's so annoying with Samsung as a brand - I love their phones and other TVs, and they're doing great work in developing alternatives to OLED technology and improving OLED itself so that the screen burn issue is resolved, but this storage problem is a real deal breaker against future purchases.

I know other manufacturers would probably be just as unhelpful if there was a fundamental design defect with one of their products, but Samsung have been caught out and still continue to lie and deflect over a year later. They've also proved to be utterly incompetent in how they log technical issues and there's clearly a total lack of internal communication. Not good enough.

0 Likes
mejologz
Journeyman
Options

I totally agree!! It is a disgrace for Samsung to brush this issue under the carpet and mask it with just "replacing the motherboard" which technically has the same BOM. 

I have emailed the CEO team again, thanking for the corrective action of replacing the motherboard of my NU700 series tv. As expected, same issue, memory is neearly depleted and I can't even delete the pre-installed apps. So I have asked them now, if there is a possibility to discuss with HQ or AV team if my TV can take a different motherboard model? As it is way too obvious now that this the NU700 series a faulty model, not fit to purpose and a recall should had been organised 2 years ago!

Let's wait and see.

Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

Just for info, the new motherboard had 5% free when it was installed. it has dropped down to 1% (10Mb free) and then increased slightly to 2% (20Mb), but has since dropped to 1% again.

I have spoken to Samsung's online chat and they have have asked me to send in photographs to the Samsung engineers, who are going to investigate it further. I'll keep you all updated as I refuse to accept that I should have to buy a USB stick in order to overcome this issue.

App Storage Space.pngPlex-App.png

0 Likes
mejologz
Journeyman
Options

this is what I have after new motherboard was fitted in. I can't even delete the pre-intalled apps which I will never be using i.e. Apple TV, Roku or Netflix to name a few.

image0.jpeg

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

same as what mine was like afer a new mobo.

try installing some larger apps. ...a few wont install

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Guys just go into developer mode, in apps, enter 1,2,3,4,5 from the main remote, switch DEV mode on at the top, restart TV, go back into apps, goto the e-manual, select deep link test at the bottom, cancel the next screen, scroll up, then you can delete the e-manual. If delete is greyed out, then a smarthub reset is required beforehand. (Note: all your apps and settings/logins etc will be reset), then repeat the process and delete will become available.

You will also be able to delete any of the built in apps, but they get installed back automatically.

Yes i know its not a perfect resolution, but this will give you a bit more breathing space (100MB) to install one other larger app like Plex.

Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@mejologz wrote:

this is what I have after new motherboard was fitted in. I can't even delete the pre-intalled apps which I will never be using i.e. Apple TV, Roku or Netflix to name a few.

I still maintain this is a ridiculous position to be left in by Samung. 6% free space on a fresh install. Are we in the 1980s

@bIOforger  sorry to say, but you refer to it as a resolution, it isn't. For me, I need a minimum of 150mb to install the 'update' that the TV keeps prompting me for. I also tried this on my 55" which has the same issue (I have two), and wasn't able to delete other apps. 

What this also does is give Samsung a 'free pass' so to speak when more people should be raising this issue instead of performing short term workarounds.

bIOforger
Navigator
Options

No, I said its NOT a resolution, however if u reset your smart hub first u should still be able to do it though @Vengeance72 I had 0 space left before i did it on mine and was able to reinstall all the app updates plus plex, leaving 7% left over.

0 Likes
mejologz
Journeyman
Options

I am not having that method, the main issue here is that the memory wont release the imprint of the deleted old files and the tv still sees that the uninstalled apps still written on the memory taking up the space,  and the delete or uninstalled options are greyed out too.  That is the issue.