Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16-01-2020 05:27 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Yes, this is exactly the point I was making in my post above.

For clarity, which app were you trying to install?
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

I think it may have been the Steam Link app

It's a good photo to send to Samsung when they come up with the pathetic workaround:  "we are recommending you buy an external USB stick and installs the apps on that"

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Absolutely. The main apps cannot be installed on USB but the pre-installed system apps also can't be deleted to free up space. A real catch 22.

bendede
Explorer
Options

Same topic in French here https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9visions/Probl%C3%A8me-smart-hub-m%C3%A9moire-inter...

We need to group a maximum of unhappy users and find a way to force Samsung to resolve this case.

Quickest solution IMO, will be that Samsung add an exception in their futur firmware to allow 2018 models to delete forced apps.

There is a fault on their side and they have to managed with theirs commercials partners, even if they have to pay..

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

I suspect that just being able to remove the forced apps will barely be a workaround.

"and" we would all deserve a complimentary usb dongle on "them"

But imo a better solution would be to install 2019 boards in our tv sets ( if a 1:1 swap is feasible keeping the current panels )

0 Likes
bendede
Explorer
Options

Sure, but your better solution is also the hardest.

About hard solution, there is also, find a way ourself to delete forced apps. https://labs.f-secure.com/blog/samsung-q60r-smart-tv-opening-up-the-samsung-q60-series-smart-tv/ try an analysis of recent Samsung TV with the same Tizen OS, but no solution currently.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well, this link is very interesting to read. It makes me think at some options :

1) the emmc in the 2018 models is by error a 4gb model , not an 8gb

2) the emmc batch used is flawed

3) the whole partitioning is wrong but it cannot be fixed unless at factory level ( aka no flashing would resize things )

The most probable is point 3 , that requires debug access and a simple software from them to just resize ... one by one each board, and I doubt they want to spend that much time.

It would be interesting to be able to discuss about our problem with the guys from F-Secure

0 Likes
JH33
Explorer
Options

Have any other users had the space freed up, which mazzinia experienced the other day?

Hopefully that can get rolled out to everyone, and would probably resolve the issue for most people's requirements.

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

No, Sorry. Not additional space.

However I received the latest update yesterday and the update reset all my settings on the TV. I also had to re-scan all the satellite channels as those had reset too. I now have to re-configure everything.

I'm not sure if they have the Muppets or Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck employed in the firmware department of Samsung ...but it feels like they do!!! ...I much prefer my 15 year old Plasma with teh Apple TV box installed, its far more reliable and a more natural looking picture on it too (even though its only 1080p)

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

@Grandapa_Arf  so you are no more on 1290 , as "firmware" ? ( I should use the word os )

0 Likes