Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 14-01-2020 12:03 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Yeh well... i'm the first being surprised. I don't see "system forced apps" missing, so either some kind of cache got heavily compressed, or something got heavily compressed ( or something redundant removed ? )... or the storage driver got swapped

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

The official feedback from the Samsung engineers is this:

"Unit does not have a lot of memory free but functions perfectly well?  - This is how it is designed & there is no fault.  If they wish to install more apps that there is available memory left, then the TV is designed to extend the memory by addition of a USB stick."

So samsung deem it acceptable to have 4GB RAM on board the mobo and only 0.03GB (30GB) is available to install only 4 apps. 

After the engineer fitted a new mobo, Samsung decided that it was fixed and declared this issue as closed, even though with a new mobo, there is still only 4% free i can only install 4 apps and that's it! (even a factory reset and smart hub reset was recommended as a fix, this did not increase storage space). 

I've given up with the storage space issue. I've had to purchase a USB drive that the TV finally recognises and it will now allow me to install apps. 

So Samsung sent me a questionnaire and I completed it. I then had a letter 2 weeks later saying that they read my questionnaire and have forwarded it to the UK aftersales managed for investigation.  I doubt anything will happen, but at least theyre aware of this memory issue.

...lets just say that I will not be recommending Samsung to anyone ever again! 

Maxhitz
Apprentice
Options

what is the format and how did you and no one else ability to install aps on usb?

0 Likes
Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

@GrahamW would it also be possible to get a copy of that email, my TV is now out of warranty and Cramton and Moore wont deal with me anymore. 

0 Likes
crany
First Poster
Options

@GrahamW Hi can i get one please im in contact with samsung about this and feel it would really help

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

@Maxhitz I inserted a blank 64GB Sandisk USB and the TV formatted it when I inserted it.

However, my first motherboard would not allow me to install apps onto the USB but now I can. I checked with the engineer, he said it was the exact same version of the motherboard (manufactured same month too)

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Grandapa_Arf wrote:

@Maxhitz I inserted a blank 64GB Sandisk USB and the TV formatted it when I inserted it.

However, my first motherboard would not allow me to install apps onto the USB but now I can. I checked with the engineer, he said it was the exact same version of the motherboard (manufactured same month too)

The problem is that the built-in main apps cannot go to USB and cannot be updated on USB. They need the main storage, so the issue remains that you can't update them as there's insufficient storage. Also you can only install additional apps to USB once the main storage is more or less full.

It makes my blood boil how clueless these engineers are.

0 Likes
GrahamW
Journeyman
Options

@Liammmh & @crany  Yeah sure, PM me your emails and I will send you it over this evening.

0 Likes
Danac1
Apprentice
Options
I really don't like this whole locked OS, potential memory capacity issues, etc. I really cannot believe there is no way we can root our TV and decide for these things ourselves.

SamyOS doesn't seem to be available for my TV either 😞
0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

@Grandapa_Arf wrote:

The official feedback from the Samsung engineers is this:

"Unit does not have a lot of memory free but functions perfectly well?  - This is how it is designed & there is no fault.  If they wish to install more apps that there is available memory left, then the TV is designed to extend the memory by addition of a USB stick."

So samsung deem it acceptable to have 4GB RAM on board the mobo and only 0.03GB (30GB) is available to install only 4 apps. 

After the engineer fitted a new mobo, Samsung decided that it was fixed and declared this issue as closed, even though with a new mobo, there is still only 4% free i can only install 4 apps and that's it! (even a factory reset and smart hub reset was recommended as a fix, this did not increase storage space). 

I've given up with the storage space issue. I've had to purchase a USB drive that the TV finally recognises and it will now allow me to install apps. 

So Samsung sent me a questionnaire and I completed it. I then had a letter 2 weeks later saying that they read my questionnaire and have forwarded it to the UK aftersales managed for investigation.  I doubt anything will happen, but at least theyre aware of this memory issue.

...lets just say that I will not be recommending Samsung to anyone ever again! 

The problem with the external storage is that I get this message in the photo

IMG_4247 3.jpg
0 Likes