Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-01-2020 10:50 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

RS give a 6 year warranty I believe? They've been the best retailer in offering replacement TVs or refunds due to this issue, so you should be ok.

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

Yes I have a 6 year warranty with RS . It all depends on whether they take the Samsung stance that the software problem is not covered by the warranty. I may start mentioning that it isnot fit for the purpose as it was intended, as I can not install the Steam Link APP to play games on it via a laptop as advertised on their webpage for the NU7400

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

And in the meanwhile... samsung just added a "new" app that cannot be deleted, it's even over 30Mb (to handle the privacy settings, lol)

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

RS give a 6 year warranty I believe? They've been the best retailer in offering replacement TVs or refunds due to this issue, so you should be ok.

I rang RS on Christmas Eve, just to register the phone call and then rang them this morning and a chap said he had heard my message. He said it was not a tv fault as it does not state anywhere that the user can download unlimited or any specific number of apps, as as such would not be classed as a fault under the warranty, so there was nothing more to be done about it! I mentioned that RS had already replaced some other peoples NU7400 and he said he would look into it and get back to me. I feel from his attitude that that he honestly thought it should have been to me to research the tv better!!

I am now back to 1% and I noticed that when you go to install a few of the apps it states that they will not work on an external memory device!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

He's arguing from a completely false premise and (deliberately) misunderstanding the issue. Nobody is asking for an unlimited number of apps, just that the built-in apps can be updated and there be a reasonable margin of space for additional apps.

The TV does not offer this. Samsung themselves state that it has 4GB of storage space, which is the norm with smart TVs and in all their other ranges, including the successor to this range, with around 3GB available to the apps. It's just in the NU7 series TVs that there's a fault and only around 800MB is available. As the built-in apps take up most of this space it's only a matter of time before they run out of space to update. External drives cannot be used for the built-in apps, no matter how many times retailers and Samsung tell you to insert a USB drive for them. They also can't be deleted.

I would expect RS to have a central database which details reoccurring faults to each device they sell, so it might be necessary for you to escalate this at their head office.

My other concern when I owned one of these useless TVs was about the firmware - would there come a time when that also couldn't update?

0 Likes
Badaboing
Explorer
Options

I think the point that needs to be stressed is that customers have received the insufficient storage error without even installing a single additional app. If the pre-installed (and unremovable) apps cannot be updated using the out-of-the-box internal storage space then it fails to be fit for purpose as a smart TV. The same goes for updating firmware, if that too becomes an issue.

Just an update on my situation, I was at 146MB when I last posted 3 weeks ago, however that has now dropped to 102MB after the forced installation of the new "Privacy Choices" app.

chancooluk
Journeyman
Options

@Badaboing wrote:

I actually did the Smart Hub reset a couple of days ago but only got round to posting the update tonight. The TV has been on and off a few times since then but the free space hasn't changed significantly in that time.

@chancooluk- I followed the links on page 28. One is a YouTube video (in Russian) showing a TV being restarted into Developer Mode and then a built-in app being deleted. The e-manual can be deleted in this way (there's no point deleting the other apps though because they automatically come back). There's a link on the same page explaining how to enable Developer Mode.

So I tried this. The apps menus states 'DEVELOP MODE'  after switching it on. On the video, it looks like the guy goes to 'Deep Link Test, hits 'OK', then the delete option is available?

When I go through the same steps the Delete option remains greyed out?

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options
Maybe a case of, different country - slightly different software version and different setting etc etc
0 Likes
GrahamW
Journeyman
Options

Well, just got a full refund today from Argos after following the advice fom @Fernando-2  so thank you so much to him. Anyone else with this issue should do the same as before I did this I was just getting fobbed off for months by both Samsung customer service and Argos. Thanks also to @Tony47  for his advice. Now off to Richer Sounds tomorrow for a new tv, I quite like the look of the Samsung QLED Q70R but I'm not sure if i should risk it after this debacle!

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

This is great news! I'm glad my advice helped.

I was becoming a bit despondent because it seemed after our successes last year up to around June, Samsung and retailers were playing hardball and refusing any further cooperation. For future reference, what was your method? 

0 Likes