Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 24-11-2019 05:23 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

If you're with Richer Sounds then it's good news as they've been very amenable to doing refunds or swaps due to this issue.

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

Maybe a difficult question to answer, but,  you know of any specific stores where they have done this, as it may help my case?

0 Likes
chancooluk
Journeyman
Options

I've got the same issue on mine. Now at 0-bytes storage space available with no extra apps installed. I get an error when I go into the apps menu that apps cannot be updated, but none of the apps can be deleted :(. I've contacted Argos (where I purchased it), but they've told me that I have to take the TV back into the store, and demonstrate the issue, otherwise they cannot help me. It's a 55" TV, and I no longer have the box, so taking it back into store isn't exactly an easy option. 😞

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Yes, in my case it was John Lewis. Other retailers who have issued refunds or exchanges are:

AO

Richer Sounds

Amazon

Crampton & Moore (after a long battle and a grudging "only doing it out of good faith" attitude)

Currys: flat refusal.

The above is taken from the experiences of the posters on here. I don't think there are any reports of other retailers here but  I could be wrong.

0 Likes
Casaron
Explorer
Options

I see from the Samsung website that there is a firmware update 1290.4 dated 22.11.19. It may not have been pushed to TVs yet, so need to download to usb stick to update telly.

At the moment, not sure I want to try it and screw things up even more, storeage wise.

0 Likes
discofizz
Explorer
Options

I just installed it. Surprise surprise it does nothing to fix the storage problem. Can't see any obvious changes whatsoever. 

Casaron
Explorer
Options

Cheers for the info - very disappointing. Obviously an indication that the storage issue isn't going to be sorted anytime soon, if ever *****

chancooluk
Journeyman
Options

I'd recommend not resetting the Smart Hub if you need Apple TV. I've just reset it to free up some space, but it now means there's no space to install UKTVPlay or Britbox, so both had to be installed on an external hard drive. Apple TV can't be installed on external drives, so that's gone forever.

Casaron
Explorer
Options

I do use Apple TV, and Britbox, so thanks very much for the heads up. Sorry if you're screwed over by doing the reset.

This is going from bad to worse!

0 Likes
DrummerMG
First Poster
Options

Spent some time on the phone with John Lewis tech support this afternoon. They say first year of warranty issues has to go through Samsung. Have a support guy coming out on Wednesday to take a look at the issue, to decide whether it needs sending back to Samsung or not.  We’ll see what they say - not expecting a solution any time soon. We’ll see how John Lewis handle it.

0 Likes