Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 23-11-2019 06:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Anita_Merlin
Explorer
Options

I am getting advice from Citizens Advice consumer service as how to proceed a complaint to Trading Standards. Samsung technical support has clearly stated to me that I shoud just ignore the error message and I am able to use my TV so there is no problem. As I said before please get in contact to add your name to my complaint.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

You mean contacting you in private, or ?

Goody1
Pioneer
Options

This morning I rang Samsung about this storage issue as I noticed that the Britbox app had been automatically downloaded and not uninstallable.

This leaves me with 1% or 16.5Mb!

I have nowTV and BT Sports apps installed and the sotware update button was greyed out!

The chap I spoke to told me that their engineers knew about it  and they were working on a software update, to release more memory and there would defintely be a software update, soon. I asked him, would that be a couple of years, and he said as few months. Then he said not to worry as the problem had been registered within the first year of warranty

I don't understand why they just don't make an offical statement and promise of the update, to alay everyones fear and frustation!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Goody1 wrote:

This morning I rang Samsung about this storage issue as I noticed that the Britbox app had been automatically downloaded and not uninstallable.

I have nowTV and BT Sports apps installed and the sotware update button was greyed out!

The chap I spoke to told me that their engineers knew about it  and they were working on a software update, to release more memory and there would defintely be a software update, soon. I asked him, would that be a couple of years, and he said as few months. Then he said not to worry as the problem had been registered within the first year of warranty

I don't understand why they just don't make an offical statement and promise of the update, to alay everyones fear and frustation!

The chap you spoke to is just echoing what Samsung have been saying for over a year. It's just designed to fob you off. There is no update and it will never happen. Storage can't be magicked out of thin air with a software update. The issue is hardware - for some reason only 1GB was installed on the NU range whereas other ranges have 4GB. Whether this is across the whole range or just batches is not clear. If you keep pushing with your retailer you should eventually get a resolution, either a refund or an exchange. Samsung themselves won't give way, they'll just keep stringing you along.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Goody1 wrote:

The chap you spoke to is just echoing what Samsung have been saying for over a year. It's just designed to fob you off. There is no update and it will never happen. Storage can't be magicked out of thin air with a software update. The issue is hardware - for some reason only 1GB was installed on the NU range whereas other ranges have 4GB. Whether this is across the whole range or just batches is not clear. If you keep pushing with your retailer you should eventually get a resolution, either a refund or an exchange. Samsung themselves won't give way, they'll just keep stringing you along.

Two things I found is you can not make a complaint to trading standards, but citizens Advice will pass the complaint on, and if enough are passed on then they will have a look. 

The other important thing is when Samsung engineering admitted they knew of the problem that meets the requirements for the 2015 consumer law, that it is a known issue, and been there since purchase. If you have that in writing then that now opens the door for everyone to insist it is not fit for purpose, as advertised, as a smart TV, and you can demand either a replacement, repair, or refund. You could also argue misrepresentation, as it will not do as advertised due to the limited memory on board, and as you know you can not run apps off a memory stick. 

Google the Which consumer law 2015 tool, which gives advice and a template to write to your retailers. 

Remember you must report to your retailers, as they are responsible not the Manufacturer, most important. 

Paul

Anita_Merlin
Explorer
Options

Yes, I think more names I add to the complaint the better. Also, I am trying to get in contact with Miles Bignal, the reporter from Guardian who covers consumer issues, hoping he will take our case and make it public. My email: *******

0 Likes
Badaboing
Explorer
Options
I have the UE43NU7400 and have been following this thread since early in the year. I only had the TV for a few days before the insufficient storage error appeared, after installing only one app (Plex). I followed some instructions I'd found for deleting the e-manual, which freed up around 100MB and allowed the built-in apps to update. After months of Samsung forcing more and more apps upon me that I didn't want, that free space is now down to 62MB (7%) and it's likely only a matter of time until I'm back in the same situation.

I'd be happy to add my name to your compliant. Please let me know what details you'd like and I'll email them over.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
Quick question for those who are almost out of storage space - are you still able to update the system firmware? Presumably there will be a point when that's not possible, which is an even more serious issue.
0 Likes
DrummerMG
First Poster
Options

I have just encountered the very same issue with our Samsung UE43NU7400.  I'm guessing the 'BritBox' and other new additions have filled the memory to the point where I cannot update apps even if I delete all the apps I've installed.  It's nuts.  Happy to add my name to any official complaint.

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options
I had a phone call off Samsung last night about 7pm. Due to the strong accent the lady had it took myself and my wife a while to figure what she was on about.

Background:Over the last two days, I rang Samsung Support twice. The 1st time to tell them i had a problem with our other Samsung tv losing satellite connection- which has miraculously corrected itself(Permanantly, I hope!), after a full factory rest didnt do diddly squat! The 2nd time to report the ongoing storage issue again.

Anyway the lady was ringing about the other tv with the satellite issue. I mentioned the problem with the NU7400 and yet again, she said not to worry, it was all being sorted out, by the engineers but she could not give a time when it would be sorted out. I asked if she could confirm this in writing and she said if I wanted a replacement to go to Richer Sounds and they could ring up Samsung to confirm the fault

So tomorrow I'm going to ring Richer Sounds to see what they have to say....
0 Likes