Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-07-2019 03:28 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Really good Tony you got it sorted!

Cheers, yeah I love the Panasonic, really good. What LG did you go for in the end? 

0 Likes
XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options
Thanks artofmotion, hopefully ive enough now to get this sorted. Will post on here to update next week.

Sorry to be a pain, but has anyone got a link to a website that clearly states the storage capacity of NU7400 as 1GB. Ive had no luck finding the storage capacity on any sites ive checked(displayspecifcations, Rtings etc)

If it comes to it I plan on showing the engineer that the storage should be 1GB but my TV is showing it has just over 800mb total memory and that is reason enough that its not "to spec"
0 Likes
zarf2007
Journeyman
Options

yeah I hope so, having to do things by the book just so they can't riggle out of sorting it. I only wish all of the tv engineers knew about this.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

The storage figures are not published anywhere, so the figures quoted here and in other forums come directly from the TV owners. 

Don't forget that in any drive around 10% of space is taken up by the formatting, so a 1GB drive would provide about 900MB of usable space. The OS takes around 800MB, leaving 100MB for the apps. The built-in apps need 125MB for the auto-update, hence the problem, and why some people's TVs wouldn't update even without installing any additional apps.

0 Likes
XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options
Thanks Tony

In that case I guess its just a roll of the dice if the engineer is willing to help and see it from the customers view or not. Fingers crossed
0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options
Has anyone had the storage message in the app store recently?

I've only got a few MB of space left but haven't have the space warning when it tries to update. I checked my apps and they have been updated recently. I wonder if Samsung has found a way to update the apps without needing so much storage space.

It's not really a fix of the issue as such but they have essentially made it go away in the short term for many people I suspect. Which is probably a bad thing as TVs will be much older by the time people have issues and will be much harder to get them replaced.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Really good Tony you got it sorted!

Cheers, yeah I love the Panasonic, really good. What LG did you go for in the end? 

I went a bit mad and bought an OLED (E8)! It was a bit of retail therapy after the hassle with the Samsung, and my low interest credit card took the strain nicely :smiling-face:

It's the 2018 model and I bought it in April just as the new 2019 model was coming in and got a massive discount from Richer Sounds, so it was worth doing, especially as I'm now with a reputable retailer should something go wrong. 

0 Likes
zarf2007
Journeyman
Options

so a quick update:

after the repair centre replaced the main board and returned my tv, as suspected it made no difference. I then took a picture of the 'not enough storage space' when trying to download an app and sent it to JL. JL have however heard back from the dumb engineers who say everything with the tv is fine so have refused to refund me and have closed the case.

I even had some saturday boy in the tech support team telling me i could use a usb stick for more storage, at that point i just hung up.

I did remember that I part paid for the tv on paypal, so launched a case with them which was promptly closed in the sellers favour as they said 'the tv had been modified by myself and was not covered under buyer protection'. I queried this with paypal and they said that as i had allowed the tv to be sent for repair it had been modified and was no longer covered!!! I argued that the goods are not sold as is as it is a smart tv and the smart features do not work but again they were having none of it.

looks like paypal claims are also a waste of time.

ah well, looks like the small claims  court is my final option.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@zarf2007 wrote:

so a quick update:

after the repair centre replaced the main board and returned my tv, as suspected it made no difference. I then took a picture of the 'not enough storage space' when trying to download an app and sent it to JL. JL have however heard back from the dumb engineers who say everything with the tv is fine so have refused to refund me and have closed the case.

I even had some saturday boy in the tech support team telling me i could use a usb stick for more storage, at that point i just hung up.

I did remember that I part paid for the tv on paypal, so launched a case with them which was promptly closed in the sellers favour as they said 'the tv had been modified by myself and was not covered under buyer protection'. I queried this with paypal and they said that as i had allowed the tv to be sent for repair it had been modified and was no longer covered!!! I argued that the goods are not sold as is as it is a smart tv and the smart features do not work but again they were having none of it.

looks like paypal claims are also a waste of time.

ah well, looks like the small claims  court is my final option.

First I think an appeal to PayPal, because if it has been repaired by  a engineer sent by John Lewis is definitely not a mod. 

Inform John Lewis that you insist on a second opinion, reminding them that the engineer changed the main board due to that fault, and if he had not thought it was a fault, why change the board in the first place. The fault you had when they sent the engineer out, who agreed there was a fault by replacing the main board is still there. Therefore it may not be the main board at fault, which is what the engineer is probably saying, but the tv is still faulty. 

It's all a play on words. Do a search for the Which October 2015 European Consumer regs, and use the letter template to write a letter to them, which will have legal jargon. 

This is why I would never buy from Curry's, John Lewis, and never pay by PayPal, or Amazon. Always by interest free finance, and or credit, not debit card. 

Paul

zarf2007
Journeyman
Options

have appealed to paypal but they have denied it with the following response:

We've reviewed the transaction(s) and are denying your claim(s). We understand the item associated with this case has been altered while in your possession. Because of this, we are unable to determine whether the item is significantly different than originally described, and we are unable to grant your claim.

We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

I have stated to them that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that the retailer must be given an opportunity to repair the item so by doing this are they saying it breaches paypal payment protection policy thereby impacting my consumer rights? I have asked them to show me their policy that states this.