Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-06-2019 07:57 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options
Tony thats massively helpful thankyou very much!
billyb_834652
Explorer
Options

"The only retailer who has replaced TVs with this issue without needing a Samsung RMA number is Richer Sounds (hats off to them)."

I'd like to add Amazon to that list. For me at least, they were great.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@billyb_834652 wrote:

"The only retailer who has replaced TVs with this issue without needing a Samsung RMA number is Richer Sounds (hats off to them)."

I'd like to add Amazon to that list. For me at least, they were great.

I think with Amazon you are ok within the first 6 months then on your own. 

Richer Sounds are head and shoulders above the rest.

Paul

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi XhakaLaca!

First I'd like to apologise for what you're going through. It's really tough and annoying.

Tony has been a massive help generating this thread, so props to him again! 

I've also been following this post, as I get notifications, and I'm so sorry to hear about all these people suffering with this obvious and frankly deceptive issue. People work hard to earn a TV, and it's so shoddy of Samsung to do this. I'm never buying a product from them ever again.

I've since bought a Panasonic and to say it's better than the NU7400 is an understatement. 

Anyway I digress, I'll answer your questions below. 

What TV Model do you have again? I had the NU7400.

I had two visits from an approved engineer. The first one visit confirmed the issue. The second one was to attempt a fix.

I was really adamant that a fix wasn't possible as you cannot improve Ram on a TV that has general boards made for various models. For example, when he fitted the new board, the engineer then had to select that board from a massive list in the TV settings. It was quite evident that the NU7500 TV had a completely different one to that of mine, the NU7400. 

When the new board was fitted, as I expected, it did not fix the issue. The engineer wrote down what he had done, and how it hadn't fixed the problem surrounding internal storage. 

I called the engineer's department the next day and basically explained how the attempted fix hadn't worked, and how I now needed a new working TV. 

Apparently Samsung have this rule where they can attempt a fix up to 3 times before a replacement can be issued. In my case and yours, there is no fix, so I got my replacement immediately. 

What I found was that you need to really push for yourself to be heard. Don't stop calling. Don't stop pushing, otherwise you'll be forgotten.

If you have any other questions please just fire them my way, I'll more than happy to help you 👍

Banjoman
Explorer
Options

I'm interested in the C&M response that they don't feel the TV has been mis-sold.

I appreciate it's not the Oxford English Dictionary, but if you google Smart TV definition you get:

smart TV is a digital television that is, essentially, an Internet-connected, storage-aware computer specialized for entertainment. 

I would say it's fairly common knowledge what you need from a SMART TV even if you are a (very) lay person who doesn't know about storage.

It surprises me that Samsung seem to treat their consumers like this. I successfully swapped my NU7400 for an RU7400 and I'm really pleased with it (apart from the bizarre lack of 5GHZ wifi). However I continue to follow this thread and despite my new TV it would definitely make me reconsider buying a TV from them again.

There's certainly an irony in the Samsung hashtag #dowhatyoucant ("Our mission is to help you do what can't be done")

I wonder if that constitutes a legal agreement?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi XhakaLaca!

First I'd like to apologise for what you're going through. It's really tough and annoying.

Tony has been a massive help generating this thread, so props to him again! 

I've also been following this post, as I get notifications, and I'm so sorry to hear about all these people suffering with this obvious and frankly deceptive issue. People work hard to earn a TV, and it's so shoddy of Samsung to do this. I'm never buying a product from them ever again.

I've since bought a Panasonic and to say it's better than the NU7400 is an understatement. 

Anyway I digress, I'll answer your questions below. 

What TV Model do you have again? I had the NU7400.

I had two visits from an approved engineer. The first one visit confirmed the issue. The second one was to attempt a fix.

I was really adamant that a fix wasn't possible as you cannot improve Ram on a TV that has general boards made for various models. For example, when he fitted the new board, the engineer then had to select that board from a massive list in the TV settings. It was quite evident that the NU7500 TV had a completely different one to that of mine, the NU7400. 

When the new board was fitted, as I expected, it did not fix the issue. The engineer wrote down what he had done, and how it hadn't fixed the problem surrounding internal storage. 

I called the engineer's department the next day and basically explained how the attempted fix hadn't worked, and how I now needed a new working TV. 

Apparently Samsung have this rule where they can attempt a fix up to 3 times before a replacement can be issued. In my case and yours, there is no fix, so I got my replacement immediately. 

What I found was that you need to really push for yourself to be heard. Don't stop calling. Don't stop pushing, otherwise you'll be forgotten.

If you have any other questions please just fire them my way, I'll more than happy to help you 👍

They may have that rule, but it is not legal. After the first 30 days you only need to allow one repair, and if that does not work you can ask for a refund. All this information is available on line, the which site which I posted a link to here is very good. These companies do lie, it's only when you have some knowledge to out them, that they start to buckle. 

Paul

0 Likes
XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options
Appreciate your reply ArtofMotion its really helpful and infomative.

Like you I went for the NU7400 and there is a whole list of things I dont like about it but this storage issue is the nail in the coffin for me and Samsung.

When I contacted samsung after being advised to do so by AO they put up a complete brickwall saying as its a software issue they have no obligation to fix it, it was only after I added the issue of a Hdmi port not functioning properly(intermittently goes to black screen for about 3 seconds before coming back on) that they agreed to send someone to do a repair. After arranging for the repair company to visit me this coming tuesday they told me that the board will need replacing and the engineer will install a board at that visit, hopefully when that turns out to be a complete waste of time the person doing the repair will file a report to say that it cant be repaired.

My only concern is that after the repair company realise its beyond fixing, Samsung may hide behind their favourite line of "headquarters are aware of an issue and are working on a solution." and expect me to wait for this.

Did you talk to samsung again after the repair company had been out? Was there any particular phrase or line("not fit for purpose", "consumer credit act" etc) that you told them that seemed to prompt them to agree to a repair?

Again, really grateful for your help.
zarf2007
Journeyman
Options

just to share, I have this issue with my nu7400 bought from John Lewis in march. After reporting it to them they send out a repair man who insisted on taking it away for "up to 10 days" to fix. despite explaining the issue to him he wouldnt listen so I refused to let him take it away.

anyway read up about the various consumer laws and realised i let have them attempt to repair it once (even though totally futile) so I relented and let JL book them again to take it in for repair. Same ***** came out again and took it away. Anyway, had a call yesterday telling me the issue is 'fixed' and that they will drop off the TV on thursday. I spoke to the tv repair guy and asked him what he did, he replied 'replaced the main board'. I then reiterated that this would not fix the problem because the internal storage space would be the same on the new board.

He then went into a rant about 'If I download all of the apps then of course I would fill up the storage and I should just download the apps I needed, he also said if I did this on a computer it would do the same'. I asked him what was the point of an app store if i am limited as to what apps I could download, also how does he explain that system updates are prevented from being applied due to lack of storage. He replied I should have 'bought another tv and he can't add more internal storage'. 

In short he refused to file a report that it was a fault and the tv was 'of spec'. I have stated that when he returns it on thursday I am not signing off on it being fixed as it clearly isnt. I got to the point when the argument of being unable to reason with *****s springs to mind so my next move is to show john lewis the error message and lack of memory when i get my tv back through screenshots, I have given them the chance to fix it which they havent so if they refuse to refund I will be going the small claims court route with JL as I can clearly prove there is an issue.

just a reminder that some of the tv repair people are worse than useless.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Oh dear, so that clueless engineer wasted everyone's time by replacing the existing board with the same spec board lol. He clearly didn't understand what the issue was in the first place.

It would be interesting to ask Samsung to justify why the storage on the previous version of the NU7400 (MU7400) was 3 or 4 GB (not sure which) and the storage on the current version (RU7400) is 4GB. Why is the NU7400/7100/7500 range uniquely fitted with only 1GB of storage when all their other TVs have much more storage? What exactly did they think would happen, given that they put the same operating system and built in apps on all their ranges, and the Tizen OS alone takes up around 800MB of space?  I realise this is just an academic point as we'd never get an answer, but just by pointing it out it shows the absurdity of Samsung's position.

I also had a battle with John Lewis but they relented in the end. Luckily their appointed repair company was more clued up and didn't even bother to take my TV away. They hadn't heard of the issue before but took my point and didn't believe Samsung when they said they were working on a solution. Their input swung the decision in my favour and JL then put pressure on Samsung to issue an RMA number, which they did after a week of bull*****ting. Keep on at JL and you'll get there in the end.

PS Hi @ArtofMotion! I'm glad you're still pleased with the Panasonic. I went with LG and I'm very happy with the TV.

ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hiya

No problem, happy to help!

I called Samsung, explained the issue, then called the engineer's department and basically informed them that the TV was not fixed as per the visit.

I then asked the engineer team, that when Samsung call the engineer department, they say to Samsung that the TV isn't working to spec, and advise for a replacement. That way everyone is clear on communication etc. 

Just make it super clear to the engineer team that the TV has not been fixed, and that when Samsung call to ask for confirmation, their advice to Samsung is to replace the TV. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes