Support

Open search

Apps storage space issue

Helping Hand

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

 

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

 

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,749 REPLIES 1,749

Thanks Lee. To answer your points:

 

I'll probably go for the LG SK8100 - their top of the range LED TVs before the OLED ones. Solid reviews all round and someone here got one a few weeks ago from Richer Sounds and is very pleased with it. Now is the perfect time to get a 2018 TV as the prices are rock bottom and the 2019 ones are just arriving and cost so much more. The TV I'm thinking of has dropped £100 in price this week.

 

Built-in apps that can't be uninstalled: this is deliberate by Samsung (and other TV manufacturers) as it's a way of earning guaranteed 'rent' from the app providers - they pay to be on the Samsung platform, so by definition Samsung cannot allow the apps to be deleted. This is usually not a problem because TV designers allow more than enough space for everything.

 

You say you've got 13% of storage left. I calculate that to be around 109MB? If that's the case you'll have a problem on the next automatic update as that requires around 150MB for the update cache. The latest firmware update also steals another 30MB.

 

This problem won't go away, so assuming that Samsung do nothing to fix it, if you're happy with the TV and can't afford to swap it for something else, then you could just buy a firestick for apps and forget the Smart aspect of the Samsung as it will never work properly.

 

I use all the apps you mentioned, plus Spotify and Now TV, and also audio-visual streaming apps like Plex, IPTV apps and foreign TV streams. All these take quite a bit of space.


@Tony47 wrote:

Thanks Lee. To answer your points:

 

I'll probably go for the LG SK8100 - their top of the range LED TVs before the OLED ones. Solid reviews all round and someone here got one a few weeks ago from Richer Sounds and is very pleased with it. Now is the perfect time to get a 2018 TV as the prices are rock bottom and the 2019 ones are just arriving and cost so much more. The TV I'm thinking of has dropped £100 in price this week.

 

Built-in apps that can't be uninstalled: this is deliberate by Samsung (and other TV manufacturers) as it's a way of earning guaranteed 'rent' from the app providers - they pay to be on the Samsung platform, so by definition Samsung cannot allow the apps to be deleted. This is usually not a problem because TV designers allow more than enough space for everything.

 

You say you've got 13% of storage left. I calculate that to be around 109MB? If that's the case you'll have a problem on the next automatic update as that requires around 150MB for the update cache. The latest firmware update also steals another 30MB.

 

This problem won't go away, so assuming that Samsung do nothing to fix it, if you're happy with the TV and can't afford to swap it for something else, then you could just buy a firestick for apps and forget the Smart aspect of the Samsung as it will never work properly.

 

I use all the apps you mentioned, plus Spotify and Now TV, and also audio-visual streaming apps like Plex, IPTV apps and foreign TV streams. All these take quite a bit of space.


I have had the ks9500 (very good,  but ***** support),  q9f very dull hdr picture.  Q900r which was just to luminous,  and bright.  Went and tried the LG C8,  and I have to say it is the best tv I have had.  Everything works,  external devices work,  the magic remote is brilliant.  Netflix atmospheres support is great,  and Dolby vision,  looks great.  

It's a shame as I was a Samsung supporter,  but not now,  which is odd that they still let me post here. 

Paul

Thanks Paul, funnily enough I've just been reading a review of the LG SK9500 on the Which website. They really liked it but recommended the SK8500 over it as it was just as good and better value for money. Sadly the only retailer I can find that sells the SK8500 is the dreaded Currys! 

 

I've been thinking about the LG OLED ranges - would you say that the C8 is a lot better than the B8 range?

 

I'd better bring this thread back on topic - it sounds like you weren't impressed with the Samsung Quantum Dot ranges. How much app storage did they have lol?

Thanks for the info Tony. If I turn off the Auto Update will that stop if from updating the new firmware that is due OTA next week. But I guess eventually it will be a problem. The Firestick is certainly a no go for me and I do not see the point of having a TV if it’s not gonna function right and you cannot use the Tizen interface (which by the way I do prefer over LG’s interface). I was looking at the 49 inch LG SK8100 in John Lewis when I brought the Samsung I have now. I thought the picture was just as good but the remote and interface was not to my liking. It was also £50 cheaper than what it is now in JL, and they now want £549 for it which is £100 more than I paid for the 50 inch NU7400 I have.

 

A guy I came across on Youtube brought the 43 inch version of NU7400 6 months ago back in November and it was only last week that when he went to install another app that a box popped up saying there was not enough space left. So he is perhaps more like myself regarding how little apps he uses. So no doubt there is going to be some point where I am gonna have to get in touch with JL and change the TV. But because I am doing a lot of work on the house at the moment, and spending my money on that. I am hoping I have at least another couple of months before I have to, to give me more time to save up a few more pennies and get something else.

 

You are bang on regarding buying last years models and they have come down a lot just like the TV I have now. But they are also disappearing fast and I noticed JL are no longer selling the 55 inch NU8000 which would of been the TV I would of liked to have got. I know they still have the 49 inch NU8000 but that one did not grab me. So I may have to start looking at LG or other brands unless I can save up enough more to get the Samsung QE55Q7FN.

As you're with JL you've got more time to sort things out. Yes, turning off auto update on the apps and software (firmware) updates will buy you some time.

 

I agree that the LG user interface isn't as good as Samsung, which is the main reason I changed from LG to Samsung in the first place. It's very annoying and I could stay with Samsung and go with a different model, but I won't out of principle after what we've all had to go through.

Intruder, i was like you, i didnt think it would affect me as i had no plans to install any other apps, however overnight i lost 20mb because of updates.

 

I am glad i got a refund as i was always worrying about it, that was spoiling my enjoyment of the TV

 

Tony...great news pal


@Tony47 wrote:

Thanks Paul, funnily enough I've just been reading a review of the LG SK9500 on the Which website. They really liked it but recommended the SK8500 over it as it was just as good and better value for money. Sadly the only retailer I can find that sells the SK8500 is the dreaded Currys! 

 

I've been thinking about the LG OLED ranges - would you say that the C8 is a lot better than the B8 range?

 

I'd better bring this thread back on topic - it sounds like you weren't impressed with the Samsung Quantum Dot ranges. How much app storage did they have lol?


According to review's the c8 is better,  but more expensive. 

I like my c8,  and can not fault it. 


@Intruder461 wrote:

Thanks for the info Tony. If I turn off the Auto Update will that stop if from updating the new firmware that is due OTA next week. But I guess eventually it will be a problem. The Firestick is certainly a no go for me and I do not see the point of having a TV if it’s not gonna function right and you cannot use the Tizen interface (which by the way I do prefer over LG’s interface). I was looking at the 49 inch LG SK8100 in John Lewis when I brought the Samsung I have now. I thought the picture was just as good but the remote and interface was not to my liking. It was also £50 cheaper than what it is now in JL, and they now want £549 for it which is £100 more than I paid for the 50 inch NU7400 I have.

 

A guy I came across on Youtube brought the 43 inch version of NU7400 6 months ago back in November and it was only last week that when he went to install another app that a box popped up saying there was not enough space left. So he is perhaps more like myself regarding how little apps he uses. So no doubt there is going to be some point where I am gonna have to get in touch with JL and change the TV. But because I am doing a lot of work on the house at the moment, and spending my money on that. I am hoping I have at least another couple of months before I have to, to give me more time to save up a few more pennies and get something else.

 

You are bang on regarding buying last years models and they have come down a lot just like the TV I have now. But they are also disappearing fast and I noticed JL are no longer selling the 55 inch NU8000 which would of been the TV I would of liked to have got. I know they still have the 49 inch NU8000 but that one did not grab me. So I may have to start looking at LG or other brands unless I can save up enough more to get the Samsung QE55Q7FN.


I think under consumer law you need to inform your retailers as soon as you are aware or know the tv is faulty.  By not doing so says you accept the tv with the faults. 


@chrisnewton wrote:

Intruder, i was like you, i didnt think it would affect me as i had no plans to install any other apps, however overnight i lost 20mb because of updates.

 

I am glad i got a refund as i was always worrying about it, that was spoiling my enjoyment of the TV

 

Tony...great news pal


Thanks Chris! It's a great feeling to have won in the end, as I'm sure it was with you. Was your replacement TV an LG?

 

I now have to decide whether I dump John Lewis and get a refund, or let them supply the replacement TV. They haven't been very helpful resolving this issue so I think I'll get refunded and go with Richer Sounds.


@Tony47 wrote:

I've been thinking about the LG OLED ranges - would you say that the C8 is a lot better than the B8 range?


I have an LG OLED and its a superb TV, picture is the best I've seen. I don't know if it's still the case this year but when I bought mine all of the LG OLED TVs use the same panel so the piture on all of them is the same, the difference between the models is the housing, speakers and other features. So unless you particularly like the stying of one of the higher up models in the range you might as well go for the base model.

Top Liked Authors