Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 15-04-2019 12:29 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
MarkWilliam1
First Poster
Options

I think you will all find that this is a bigger issue than just this one type of TV.  They broke my ex-wife's 'old' 2015 series 6 TV with the same issue.  And yes, on her TV when you deleted an APP no new memory appeared either.  So they have just been sending out updates to either firmware or the non-deletable built in APPs, wrecking both old and new TVs with lack of memory.  My ex-wife has to run a Chromecast to have any 'smart' functionality now.

I expect that they have broken every Samsung TV that has less than 2 GB of memory installed.  Technically in Norway anyone could go after them if it is less than 5 years old.  Probably few will.

0 Likes
Thus
First Poster
Options

Whatever you buy the issue is ALWAYS with the retailer and NOT thecma ufacturer. Got nothing to do with the 30 day thing; that’s only fir exchange iorvrefund when buying online. Its to allow change of mind like if buying in a store but you cant use something and then exoect to return it without a fault being present. Uk consumer law is 6yeats to file a claim but you have to prove it outside 6 months. ALWAYS  the retailer, never manufacturer (even if under warranty). Your contract is with retailer and if they want to do the warranty thing, that’s up to them. DO NOT let retailer fob you off -yes even JL try it on now. Scallys. inside 6months UK law assumes manufacturing fault. You have the right inside 30 days to get refund if that’s what you want. Manufacturer cannot do everything a retailer can. What if you choose a different brand?  Retailer has to do the work and all the phone calls etc. Not you. 

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

So basically this is all part of a scam between the manufacturer and the retailer, and potentially what they do is drop down the price of the TV then fill it with bloatware via the update system. Which will eventually ***** the customers off so that they will go out and buy a new TV, and you cannot get the TV repaired or replaced under warranty because it's not enough to say that the TV is broken. Only you are saying that the manufacturer is not involved.

Either way you look at it, it does not really add up. OK I can see how it works for the retailer, but surely the complaints that the manufacturer will get will eventually get them caught out if they was messing about with the TV in the first place. Secondly all the updates come from the manufacturer, and even if this was meant as some sort of scam, surely they would not be doing themselves any favours and people would soon get pissed off and stop buying their products.

I would of thought that the problem we have here regarding the bloatware was something that Samsung failed to spot when they made the line up in the 7 Series. This particular thread started by Tony only goes back as far as December. Which would perhaps support that this was some part of a scam. But if you look at this thread which goes back to last February it's plain to see that the TV had the same problem when it was first released onto the market.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/How-do-i-delete-or-block-bloatware-apps-on-smart-...

Now I am aware that companies such as Samsung have been caught out in the past for spying on what potential customers buy by using ads on their TV's. But I cannot believe they would be doing it this way, and it just does not make any logical sense for them to damage their own TV's. The chances are if they was doing such a thing,nobody would go and replace it with one of theirs and it would put people off buying Samsung.

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options
Guys there is new firmware...any changes?
0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

I'm on version 1202, no updates available, still experiencing the problem.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

The new firmware is 1251.0, available here:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55NU7500UXXU/

You'll have to install it via USB. Download the file to a USB drive and then extract it to the same drive. Once it's plugged into the TV it will install from there when you go to software update.

I'm afraid this is another epic fail - no discernable changes and a *loss* of 30MB available storage after the update! 

JH33
Explorer
Options

So no ability to delete any preinstalled apps added?

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options
Or move them when is internal memory full?
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

No, the built-in apps still can't be deleted, and it would be highly unlikely that they'd be movable to USB in any event, as that essentially deletes them from the internal drive.

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

Thanks  for letting me know Tony I have just downloaded it on my laptop since I seen the mention of a new update posted here this morning and have not tried to install it. Not sure if it's worth me trying now either.

My TV is still version 1202 and I have not updated it since I have had it a month ago. I would of even thought that being that my TV is set to "Auto Update" that it would of downloaded this new version already. It just goes to show that not everything works the way it supposed too :). Is this  version 1251.0 for all the models in the 7 Series and not just the 7400 models. I also wish Samsung would tell you what the new upgrade is supposed to fix as well, instead of giving no information about it all.

0 Likes