Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-04-2019 04:46 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Patrick169
Explorer
Options

That's ridiculous...no space and they are forsing another apps... 

JH33
Explorer
Options

Be interesting to know if it did free up some space at the same time. Maybe they are compressing the app sizes to help fix?

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options

That's not a fix or solution....only solution is ask for usb stick....

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Yes, the IT crowd are now working for Samsung!

Right, another update. I'm with John Lewis, as long term readers of this soap opera will know. They referred my case to one of their third party repair companies, who tackled Samsung on behalf of JL. Samsung gave them the usual BS, the same as they give to us. I spoke to the repair company this morning and later on I spoke to JL themselves. The guy I spoke to at JL customer support was very much on my side, but the problem with JL is that they play it by the book and require an 'uplift number' from the manufacturer before they can process a refund or replacement.

Samsung told JL's repair company that they are working on a firmware fix (haha) and wouldn't supply an uplift number. The JL customer support guy relayed this to me and said that his manager had authorised the supply of an Amazon Fire Stick in the meantime! That's a new one.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

I told the support guy that this has been the same story since December, and if Samsung haven't found the 'fix' by now they never would. A firestick was not a solution. He then spoke to Samsung whilst putting me on hold. He agreed that Samsung can't have an open-ended get out of jail free card. There has to be a time limit. He said that JL want to give the best possible customer service but they are being let down by Samsung and it makes them look bad (which it does).

My own view is that they should exercise independent thought and assess the case on its merits, taking the risk on behalf of the consumer. They should recompense the consumer at their own risk and then take it up with the manufacturer, rather than covering themselves by taking no action until the manufacturer has relented and supplied the relevant paperwork to take on liability. On this basis I'm very disappointed with JL.

The situation now is that JL have given Samsung 72 hours to come up with a concrete solution and to contact me within that time. They will also independently contact Samsung to check whether this has been done. They think it's unlikely, but by giving Samsung a deadline they can force the issue of an uplift number to allow my TV to be swapped out. Therefore I think that I've got perhaps one last hurdle to jump over. Roll on Saturday!

I have dealt with JL on the ks refunds thread and the uplift number they say they have to have is rubbish. Under the consumer regs the retailer is responsible not the manufacturer. Therefore if the tv is faulty and can not be repaired or there is no time frame for a repair you are entitled to a replacement or full refund. JL are using the same tactic that it's not our fault and make it look like they are on your side.  They are not. They are responsible and they do not need a returns number. All they need to know is it faulty and can it be repaired. After the first 30 days you have to allow one attempt to repair. Samsung have admitted that they have no repair and no date of a repair being available. JL know this and under the consumer regs,  they must replace or refund,  as there is no repair available. 

Do not let them fib you off,  and read up on the which advice site an the regs,  and there is even a  complaint tool which will right the letter for you.  Also do everything by letter or email,  not the phone as they will always deny anything they say,  unless you record it,  and if you do record tell them. 

The consumer law is very clear on this. 

Paul

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks Paul, good advice and I totally agree about JL. It's been a disappointing eye opener for me and I'll no longer use them. Their 5 year guarantees are clearly just a sales pitch. If they're not prepared to take on risk on behalf of the customer then they're no better than Currys.

I hope that the next planned phone call with them yields results but if not then as you say, it will be everything in writing. I'm aware of Which's template letters and am now a subscriber, so that's the next step. I'm happy to take legal action as I can afford it. This is not about money for me, it's the principle. Yes, I could overcome the issue tomorrow by plugging in a fire stick, but why the fcuck should I have to? Retailers and manufacturers need a reality check. The Samsung KS misrepresentation issue is new to me and an absolute disgrace for both Samsung and retailers.

0 Likes
mtb25
Apprentice
Options

Can confirm this fault on NU7470. Samsung Technical Help have given me a reference number and told me they'd contact me when they have an update for Smart Hub. No indication as to when, so I'm not best pleased. 

0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

I have an NU7470 too bought though Currys. I've contacted samsung support and got similar sotries to everyone else. Contacted Currys for a replacement and they told me to call Currys support who don't provide support for Samsung TVs and give out the samsung support number!

Mine is less than 6 months old so I'm going to push of a refund/replacement.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mtb25 wrote:

Can confirm this fault on NU7470. Samsung Technical Help have given me a reference number and told me they'd contact me when they have an update for Smart Hub. No indication as to when, so I'm not best pleased. 

Now Samsung confirmed the tv is faulty with no date for a fix you are entitled to ask your retailer for a refund under the 2015 European Consumer law. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung Tech Support acknowledged that there was a fault some months ago. This is at the higher level, once you get past the drones who tell you to plug in a USB stick. Two retailers have been granting replacements and refunds without Samsung giving them returns numbers - Richer Sounds and AO. One has flatly refused - Crampton & Moore. One is playing with procedure and trying to spin it out for as long as possible - John Lewis. That's my retailer, sadly.

The latest from JL is that they've contacted Samsung's R&D department as they think that the only viable fix is to replace the main board with one that has more memory (duh!). They've asked if R&D plan to release an upgraded board, and if so, when. They have until a specific date in May to respond.

If they say that they will release a new board they have to specify a date, and if that date is an unreasonable time in the future I'll get a refund from JL. If they don't respond, or respond without a resolution date, I'll also get a refund. However, I'm not convinced that JL will follow through and will look for another procedural opt out. I told them yesterday that this latest deadline is the final delay and I won't accept any further delay, and am prepared to take action against them.

We shall see.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Samsung Tech Support acknowledged that there was a fault some months ago. This is at the higher level, once you get past the drones who tell you to plug in a USB stick. Two retailers have been granting replacements and refunds without Samsung giving them returns numbers - Richer Sounds and AO. One has flatly refused - Crampton & Moore. One is playing with procedure and trying to spin it out for as long as possible - John Lewis. That's my retailer, sadly.

The latest from JL is that they've contacted Samsung's R&D department as they think that the only viable fix is to replace the main board with one that has more memory (duh!). They've asked if R&D plan to release an upgraded board, and if so, when. They have until a specific date in May to respond.

If they say that they will release a new board they have to specify a date, and if that date is an unreasonable time in the future I'll get a refund from JL. If they don't respond, or respond without a resolution date, I'll also get a refund. However, I'm not convinced that JL will follow through and will look for another procedural opt out. I told them yesterday that this latest deadline is the final delay and I won't accept any further delay, and am prepared to take action against them.

We shall see.

The consumer regs are quite clear. After 30 days you must allow one attempt to repair,  before refund.  But if there is no repair available then you can ask for a refund.  You do not have to wait to see if Samsung may come out with a repair.  As you know JL saying they need a return number is rubbish as Richer Sounds are refunding without one.  

You need to tell them in writing,  I. e.  by email that you request a refund as Samsung accept the TV is faulty and there is no date as to when there may be a repair which is unacceptable and unreasonable.  Do not let them fib you off,  and quote the 2015 European Consumer Law.  Could be useful to use the Which complaints tool to draft your email. 

We have learned on the ks owners refund thread that the major retailers will drag things,  try there best to confuse,  lie, and say anything to try to wriggle out of their obligations.  You should say,  the tv is faulty,  there is no fix,  so refund,  and don't get dragged down the road of waiting for them.  

You paid good money for a product that should work as advertised,  it does not,  and instead of them doing there best to sort it out,  they just give you platitudes,  with no resolution,  and no compensation. 

I repeat,  they are quite happy to talk,  email telling you they are doing their best which again is rubbish as they know everything but will not tell you that.  Their job is to try to ware you down so you give up and go away. 

Paul