Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-03-2019 03:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mdazza
Pioneer
Options
It's possible. Page 71 from the e-manual ( http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201901/20190102115403583/ENG_KM2DVBEUN-3.0.2_181205.0.p... ) states "If the TV's internal memory is insufficient, you can install some specific apps on a USB device." This is the 'solution' being offered to us but it doesn't address the inability to update apps installed on the TV due to insufficient space. It's misdirection, honestly.
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@Patrick169 wrote:

How big is the update? It's 1,2 GB it's not possible to have only 1 GB internal memory...

It's 1.2GB on an external drive - not necessarily indicative of what is actually transferred to the TV itself. I did my update OTA so no idication of size in my case.

Patrick169
Explorer
Options

I think the TV could have 1,5 GB internal memory. But after update built in apps its full. That's why Samsung enywhere don't say how much is it...because it's a same... Why they cripple a good TV like this? 4 more GB for this company could cost 4$...

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@Patrick169 wrote:

I think the TV could have 1,5 GB internal memory. But after update built in apps itsi full. That's why Samsung enywhere don't say how much is it...because it's a same... Why they cripple a good TV like this? 4 more GB for this company could cost 4$...

Whether 1GB or 1.5GB - it's immaterial. The issue remains either way. Replacement is the only 'fix' that's going to give the desired outcome.

Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

I can only think it was a massive "male chicken" up in the design process and they hoped no one would care enough.

They have now offered me an engineers visit so he can see exactly what I am sending them as photos.......bit of a waste of time if you ask me. I am not sure if I can claim "lack of earnings" back from them while I have to wait about for the engineer :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options
They are sticking to the "our policy is to repair until an engineer has authorised a replacement".

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options

The only thing they could do is remove built in apps from firmware and after install new firmware ask for usb stick. But nobody will do it..coz if they do they have to admit issue with this TV and the are incoming money for prebuild apps...

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@Steve_Roebuck wrote:

I can only think it was a massive "male chicken" up in the design process and they hoped no one would care enough.

They have now offered me an engineers visit so he can see exactly what I am sending them as photos.......bit of a waste of time if you ask me. I am not sure if I can claim "lack of earnings" back from them while I have to wait about for the engineer :smiling-face:

Definitely a 'male chicken' up - and they've gotten away with it for the most part!

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

Why every instance of this is being treated as isolated I don't understand - even after remote sessions clearly evidence the issue!

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options
Exactly they can see no correlation between the issues ( I work in an IT Dev/Support environment and it's always what you look for), treating each one as an individual case gives them carte blanche to fob us off with whatever hair-brained idea they can come up with.

You would have thought someone from Samsung would actually read these forums and see the issues, that said reading these forums has convinced me more and more that I made a poor choice in selecting Samsung as my TV brand. The horror story with the KS units is a real eye-opener.

They are doing everything they can to put us off chasing this down so its up to us brave souls to carry on and fight the fight for the common man!!!