Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 20-03-2019 04:45 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

At least we know that we've essentially won, and that we will get replacement TVs in the not too distant future. That's assuming @ArtofMotion's techie tomorrow doesn't throw a spanner in the works by saying something different, or actually repairing the fault! 

This timing delay could play into our hands because the NU8000 range (and other 2018 ranges) should drop in price next month when the 2019 RU ranges come in.

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options

This is not a solution to change TV... They can't do it for everyone....

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Patrick169 wrote:

If they can't fix the issue they'll have to change the TV. More fool them. It's not every TV anyway, and not everyone will even notice the fault.

mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Patrick169 wrote:

If they can't fix the issue they'll have to change the TV. More fool them. It's not every TV anyway, and not everyone will even notice the fault.

Look at when the TV was released and the proportionately tiny number of reports about this issue. I'd guess most people who've noticed it just accept that's how it's supposed to be without a second thought. The vast majority won't even have noticed.

adw_uk
Explorer
Options

Just had a callback from the Televideo engineer and after getting no response from his regular contact in Samsung technical support he's gone to another contact who is off for the week so he's waiting for someone to be at their desk working and answering the phone to progress the issue.

I will share Crampton & Moore's (retailer) response to my initial e-mail reporting the issue.

"Hi Andrew,

I’ve read the forum page in the link you sent. I can’t see anywhere where a design flaw is mentioned. In fact, user ‘Tony47’ says that Samsung say there isn’t an issue, his exact word being “I don't think Samsung will rectify it as they still won't admit there's an issue in the first place.”. The TV has a certain amount of memory and it’s enough to run the installed apps. If you install more apps, more memory is used. If you install too many and don’t leave enough memory for updates, then the TV won’t update. This is analogous to buying a smart phone with 32GB of storage, downloading 31.5GB worth of apps and the 500mb that’s left not being enough to update iOS or Android and then saying that that is a fault because a higher spec model, with more memory wouldn’t have the same issue. This wouldn’t be a fault on any devise that I’m aware of and if it happens, which it has with me on a phone, you can delete apps, free up space and then update, then re-install the apps for an easy work around.

Also, I’m highly doubtful that Richer Sounds are swapping any NU7400 sold this year. The post that mentions this said that one unnamed person wrote it on one forum, then someone else unrelated to the case told this story on another forum. That doesn’t stack up to it being true. But, even if it was true in that one case, no time scales are given. It’s conceivable that someone had a TV one day/a few days and then exchanged for the model above. This would be a fairly normal practice. I find it highly doubtful that retailers are swapping out thousands of TVs for something that Samsung don’t recognise as a fault. The only way we would consider doing this on a TV that is 4-5 months old would be with an authorisation to exchange from Samsung, allowing us to return the item for a credit. 

Regards,

Graham"

I've just e-mailed back:

Graham,

I’ve had the engineer out today with a new main board and when he saw the issue he didn’t even bother to fit it.

Using your iPhone analogy I’ve just opened the box, turned it on, connected to Wi-Fi and been prompted immediately to update iOS but when I press, ‘Download and Install’ I get a popup...

*Cannot Download Update*
There is not enough available storage to download iOS 12.1.4.  You can manage your storage in Settings'

He tells me he is going to report direct to his Samsung Tekkie that changing the main board will not fix the issue and recommend a swap.

What model would you recommend as a replacement with 3GB internal storage a must?  Would prefer to stay with Samsung as the picture and sound are excellent.

Regards,

Andrew

bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Graham sounds like he is fobbing you off as Samsung are. He's failing to see that the whole point is you CANT delete any of the built in apps to free up space for any other apps that you may wish to install. Hes also failing to realise that this happens after installing an extra app and not lots as he mentions (which is the case for me, all i've installed extra is Plex (and it's not even that big)) and then if you get the auto update error message, thats your own issue. Ok then lol. Whats the point of having a smarthub if you cant update any other apps that you have installed?? Of course its a design flaw. The "workaround" isnt really one, yes it will fix the issue temporarily, but its a major inconvenience as all apps will need to be relogged into/setup and then the auto update wont work and the ERROR will be reported again anyway, its unacceptable.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Based on Graham's very poor response I won't be buying anything from Crampton & Moore any time soon.

He deliberately misinterpreted my comment about Samsung denying there was an issue. Just because they say there's no issue doesn't mean that this is true. There clearly is an issue and it does Samsung and retailers no credit to pretend otherwise.

Also, the issue first reared its head with me without having installed any additional apps at all, so there is clearly insufficient storage for the built-in apps to update. I've never known a smart TV to have such little space that you have to severely restrict the amount of additional apps you use. This doesn't even happen on any other Samsung ranges, never mind other brands. 

I would also ask what is the point of a warranty if we have to accept flaws which must have been there at point of sale?

I guess we just need to keep plugging away until we get a satisfactory resolution. I'd happily accept a repair or firmware update but if Samsung can't do it then a replacement TV is the only option.

There's a link on their support site to email the CEO. They'll be receiving an email from me whatever the outcome as they need to know how badly issues like this are handled.

ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi all and Tony!

Got my vist later today, and I have to say that I'm really not looking forward to dismantling my TV. Unfortunately, according to the technician, I have to accept one attempt at repair for things to go forward, but after reading more replies today, I'm just wanting to get it over with! Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated lol!

I'll report back, after it's done, although I think we all know on this forum what's going to happen.

Also, that response from Crampton and Moore is deliberately obtuse on their end. What a joke answer. 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi all and Tony!

Got my vist later today, and I have to say that I'm really not looking forward to dismantling my TV. Unfortunately, according to the technician, I have to accept one attempt at repair for things to go forward, but after reading more replies today, I'm just wanting to get it over with! Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated lol!

I'll report back, after it's done, although I think we all know on this forum what's going to happen.

Also, that response from Crampton and Moore is deliberately obtuse on their end. What a joke answer. 

Morning Mr Motion! I wish you luck today. I'll be very interested in whatever your technician has to say about this issue.

My questions would be:

Is it possible for the board to be faulty and therefore appear to have less storage than it actually has?

Also, why would Samsung install a 1GB board in the 7000 range (if they did) when they installed 3 or 4GB boards in all other ranges? Smarthub is not new so the memory required is a known quantity, therefore why install a board which is clearly not fit for purpose?

I look forward to your report saying that the new board is a triumph and you now have more storage than you know what to do with haha.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi Tony

It's been a long day of waiting, and the technician has just gone in the last hour. 

He swapped the board, and it's made no difference to the space issue, the message still keeps appearing. Ridiculous. I'm going to sleep now, but can answer more questions in the morning!