Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 20-03-2019 01:31 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

No probs!

I'll ask him about the firmware update. I feel that as this issue is rare, and is only starting to come to light, that if replacing the board doesn't work, then their options to fix it will be very limited, and a replacement set will be needed.

Maybe in a year or two this will be a more common problem and easier to fix? 

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

there is no fault on the board it has 1GB storage mostly taken up with pre-installed apps, when auto-update runs there is not enough space to download new versions of the apps and it errors.

this is like unpacking a new iPhone, turning it on, connecting to your Wi-Fi and it points you to update iOS to the latest version then saying not enough storage to download the update.

i was 51% sure the engineer would turn up and nothing would get done it seems Samsung at the moment are using the 'plausible deniability' tactic maybe hoping not too many will have this issue affect their day-to-day use so don't notice it but there are those of us who work in IT and know the root cause of the problem.

were i in charge of this issue at Samsung I would be directing my team to produce a firmware that in an 'admin' mode would allow the removal of any/all apps.  bear in mind though that it could be that the O/S itself is resident on this internal storage and takes up a large % so app removal in itself wouldnt give enough space back to solve the issue.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

So it looks like it actually is a product design issue then. Samsung have bizarrely used a board with 1GB of storage on the NU7000 range, whereas on other ranges there's at least 3GB of storage. Genius.

That being the case, a firmware tweak won't properly fix the problem (as you explained above), therefore a replacement TV is the next step after Samsung have gone through the time-wasting pantomime of attempting to repair it.

ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

So did the technician ADW_UK say that they will put forward a recommendation of replacement of unit?

I agree with Tony, such a dumb issue this is.  I remember reading back through this post, that a couple of months ago a user said that Samsung were going up release a firmware update to combat this problem, which they still haven't done. So it seems like guff to me.

I find it personally really annoying that I have to go through an attempted repair for anything to go forward, anyway, let's see if it works! 

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options
Very interesting - I was fed complete misinformation if the board really does only have 1GB on it - I was told 4GB!

If this is the case, the only suitable replacement would be the NU8000, no?
0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options
the engineer was very careful and just said he wouldn't waste time swapping the board and would go to his direct technician at Samsung who was unavailable this morning for advice.

he did say they don't have to actually replace 3 boards for it to trigger a TV swap he said this callout would count as 1.
0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

They could absolutely fix it with a firmware update in the interim, as Tony said give the user the option to delete built in apps and add a warning when downloading apps that system space is required, when free space is low. This should be a simple coding exercise imo. Sammy obv can't be bothered to do it, or admit that these models weren't designed with enough storage in the first place. It could even be a bug in the firmware, as we've all seen the freespace being randomly reported/changing with no changes.

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for your reply!

So your Engineer was saying that they will replace your TV after this one swap, as they could see no other fix, is that right?

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options
No. He is saying he is going to talk to his direct Samsung Tekkie and come back to me. I suspect I will have to have a couple more mornings off work before we progress to the matter being referred upstairs for authorisation to swap the tv.
0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Alrighty, that makes sense I guess. Really annoying situation. I was told by my Technician Company that if they could think of no other fix for problem, if tomorrow doesn't work, then replacement would occur. I really hope they don't string this along, although I think that they will..

0 Likes