Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 19-03-2019 10:23 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Dal2 wrote:

Got exactly the same problem customer service awful told the girl I had done reboot etc then she takes over remotely and does the same thing which I had just said didn’t work 

Sorry to hear that. Did they say they'd get back to you? They need to see this thread. Perhaps try the chat option rather than phone. 

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

Called RS and was transferred to Samsung support. The first person I spoke to said the NU7400 should have 4GB total storage and suggested I should simply use a USB drive.

Eventually I spoke to someone else who advised it's a known issue and there'll be a software update/fix in the next 5-7 working days. I'll be calling back next Wednesday, I'm sure.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@mdazza wrote:

Called RS and was transferred to Samsung support. The first person I spoke to said the NU7400 should have 4GB total storage and suggested I should simply use a USB drive.

Eventually I spoke to someone else who advised it's a known issue and there'll be a software update/fix in the next 5-7 working days. I'll be calling back next Wednesday, I'm sure.

Thanks for this, very interesting. I was also told last December to use a USB drive but it doesn't solve the issue. You can install additional apps on to USB once the internal memory is reported as full, but the built-in apps need internal storage to update.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi Tony 

I've been thinking - I'm still a little confused as to why Samsung believe replacing the main board will fix it?

I understand and agree with your logic, but if this issue is affecting most/all NU*****, then why didn't the board that came with the TV, just work anyway? If it affected just one TV then OK, but a whole range? I'm not sure how replacing the board with the exact same one will work, but here's hoping! 

I know, the whole situation is inexplicable. I can only assume that it's a batch of faulty boards that only affect the 7000 range. As the storage is on the main board it seems to me to be the only possible solution to change it if a firmware update is not viable.

However, given the hot news above just now, maybe a firmware update will happen. Samsung are contradicting themselves though if they say it's a known issue, yet other representatives are arranging board replacements. Don't they know about the firmware update? Personally I'll believe it when I see it.

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options
Either there's a terrible lack of communication within the support team or they're making case-by-case decisions on the fly.

The one positive is that both hardware (motherboard change) and software 'solutions' are apparently being worked on concurrently. Hopefully that means less delay for a final resolution at some point down the line.
ShootUs
Apprentice
Options

I called RS last week after calling Samsung and getting fobbed off.

RS asked me to do a factory reset on the TV and if that don't work then they will sort the issue out and not leave me in the dark with it the problem.

I did the factory reset, this was a bit of a pain as I had to log back in to all the apps again.  However the error message has now gone!

Not sure how long this will work for, maybe until the next update is required, we will see? 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ShootUs wrote:

I called RS last week after calling Samsung and getting fobbed off.

RS asked me to do a factory reset on the TV and if that don't work then they will sort the issue out and not leave me in the dark with it the problem.

I did the factory reset, this was a bit of a pain as I had to log back in to all the apps again.  However the error message has now gone!

Not sure how long this will work for, maybe until the next update is required, we will see? 

I'm afraid this is only a temporary 'solution'. A factory reset (or resetting smart hub) does clear out the cache and update the built-in apps but you'll find that there's still very little spare storage space, so when the next update is due you'll have the same issue.

Also, if you download any additional apps the spare space will fill up quickly and you may find the system asking you to plug in a USB drive. In a nutshell you've been fobbed off by RS as well. I'm surprised as they have already replaced a TV due to this issue, as reported by someone on this thread.

0 Likes
NickTheG
First Poster
Options

I have a recent u7400 55inch tv. I have the same problem and purchased also from richersound. I installed two apps plex and steam link. I then get and issue update any built in apps that cannoy be removed. I though it was an issue just with me until i saw this forum. Is the only way to clwar the cach a factory reset. I am annoyed as i got this tv no exspecting to have issues with storage issues of a small amount in 2018.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, it's interesting that these reports are now coming in thick and fast. 

Yes, the only workaround is a factory reset, which is a pain as all the logins have to be re-entered and any additional apps downloaded again separately. The issue will then reoccur on the next update. 

Did you buy the TV less than 30 days ago? If so, you can change it. If it's after 30 days you'll have to wait along with us for Samsung to get their act together. The two remedial solutions being mentioned by their support are to swap out the main board or wait for a firmware update, due within 7 working days according to a previous poster who spoke to them. 

0 Likes
Paul17777
First Poster
Options

I too have been experiencing this issue with my TV. I have had the TV since July so I am way over the 30 day return policy. Hopefully this update come out soon as I am loathed to have the TV ripped apart for a new main board, which seems a tad extreme. 

0 Likes